Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlet Signing News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 266267268269270 389>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:21pm
I think we have players with pace in the back 3 - McNichol, Liam, Conbeer, Rogers & Tomi Lewis. At 13 we have Foxy, Tyler & Joe Roberts. At 12 we have Johnny, Steff Hughes & Eddie James. There is enough pace there if we get our selections/coaching right. As I have said before I would happily see us limit our player recruitment if that meant we get our coaching team spot on. 
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Aaron is still our best 6 by a country mile in my opinion. His lineout work both sides of the ball is World class. Tomos Lezana can be no mug if he gets selected for the Pumas with the strength they have. Lets just say he is in the match day 23 along with WilGriff. Two very impressive bits of business by the Board. 
There’s no way you can say Shingler is a country mile better than Blade Thomson. When everybody is fit Thomson is starting 

My apologies Steff I somehow forgot Blade. He, for me, is the natural successor to Aaron but whilst he has a great skill set he is not as suited to the heavy traffic type of games we often get caught up in. This lad Tomas though seems to carry hard & he punches his weight. 
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:00pm
tend not to agree with you about the pace element, foxeys legs have gone, liam is sharp but not quick same with johnnie Mc. they are not genuine pace men.
we have not seen enough of the 3 younger players you have mentioned to really pass comment on them.
my view is we will look to recruit a 13/winger with pace and size.
Also lock will be looked at i am sure.
coaching team will and i am sure already been looked at and sorted. 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

tend not to agree with you about the pace element, foxeys legs have gone, liam is sharp but not quick same with johnnie Mc. they are not genuine pace men.
we have not seen enough of the 3 younger players you have mentioned to really pass comment on them.
my view is we will look to recruit a 13/winger with pace and size.
Also lock will be looked at i am sure.
coaching team will and i am sure already been looked at and sorted. 

In an ideal world I would agree that it would be great to get a pacy 13/winger in but I am trying to be covid realistic with the finances. Our defensive frailties recently appear to be down to systems and coaching not out and out pace. Tyler Morgan is no slouch but he has appeared lost at sea in a few games recently. 
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:10pm

I think we have players with pace in the back 3 - McNichol, Liam, Conbeer, Rogers & Tomi Lewis. At 13 we have Foxy, Tyler & Joe Roberts. At 12 we have Johnny, Steff Hughes & Eddie James. There is enough pace there if we get our selections/coaching right. As I have said before I would happily see us limit our player recruitment if that meant we get our coaching team spot on. 
There is no pace in midfield or outside. McNicholl was our speed merchant but injuries and time have caught up. HIs speed has lost the potency it once had. 
Imperative that we invest outside. The Dragons have Hewitt and Dyer both much quicker than anything we have.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Find it funny that it's still not on the WoL.

It was on there two days ago and today. 
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:26pm

There is pace there (although I disagree on Liam) but not a lot of power and we are lacking the combination of both.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:28pm

There's a full article about Ospreys new signing, 2 other full articles about Collins, an article about Mike Brown's ban which doesn't affect Welsh rugby in the slightest, an article about Adam Jones calling someone Chopsy Sleepy

You scroll down the Scarlets section and the latest article is Glenn leaving
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:29pm
I'd forgo other signings if it meant securing a top level defence coach. 
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

Thats lezana Nd will.griff so far.2 really solid signings
That's 2 first team starters, so good recruitment yes. You'd hope that we're looking for a 1st team lock as well.
Where will Lezana start?  Ahead of Shingler, Kalamofoni and Macelod?  No methinks.  WGJ ahead of a fit Samson?  Or even a Javan firing on all cylinders?  Solid squad members at best unless they up their games.
Yes Lezana will start, he has been signed as a front line player. I think you’re seriously underestimating the quality of this player. Argentina have one of the best back rows in the world, and this guy either starts or is on the bench every game. As much as I rate them Shingler is 34 now, Macleod hasn’t got Lezana’s experience and Kalamafoni’s game time needs to be managed. Plus Blade Thomson is one of the first names on the team sheet when he’s fully fit. As for tighthead when he’s fully fit I think Samson is first choice but realistically WGJ will play more games.

I agree with all that except the comment on Blade. For me he has a decent bit more to do to oust Shingler. But we have players that can interchange now. Can Lezana play #8 too? We have to manage Kalamafoni better or he'll break down. Carwyn is still 19 and he needs a couple of years yet. Scott Q did it but in 90s not 20s rugby which is much tougher physically. We need a lock or two, speed on the wing and a versatile centre. But getting fewer better quality players is the way to go.
Scarlets before Wales
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Good point except for lock. We need one more big un.
Scarlets before Wales
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Good point except for lock. We need one more big un.

Yep. One lock. Top defence coach. Glory days return. Easy!
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 2:21pm
Scarletnut is to Blade as Mark Orders is to Webb.
I hope Scarletnut is right as it would mean that our money has been well spent, but I don't think we should be selecting sides on wishful thinking.
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 2:28pm
Shingler IMO is the best 6 we have, far and away. We look a far different and better side when he plays, and it’s usually the difference between a functioning lineout or not. Blade has a long way to go to oust Shingler and the years of quality performances he’s given us. Until he was injured in 2018, Shingler was probably the form 6 in Wales and selected first choice for the national side.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

There's a full article about Ospreys new signing, 2 other full articles about Collins, an article about Mike Brown's ban which doesn't affect Welsh rugby in the slightest, an article about Adam Jones calling someone Chopsy Sleepy

You scroll down the Scarlets section and the latest article is Glenn leaving

Scandalous. 

Seeing as people hate the Walesonline there’s a lot of concern on here about it. 
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 3:48pm
You only had to see the difference Shingler made to our line out to see how vital he us to our form. In the loose hes also outstanding. Hes been missing almost the entire time our form has been poor which is no coincidence. Hopefully he can do another couple of seasons IMHO.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 266267268269270 389>
  Share Topic