Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scott Fardy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
errlloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote errlloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 1:17pm
Lads - as I said in another thread, I'm a Leinster Lurker popping in. 

Just on the topic of Fardy, I will agree with the above statements that we're lucky to have access to some quality overseas signings. But I also think Leinster have been fairly moneyball with their foreigners. 

Fardy, Gibson-Park, Lowe and Nacewa are our only overseas players only Fardy is an international. (Nacewa had that weird Fiji cap years ago, but never wanted to play for them again). I actually think they're similar level to your foreigners, Barclay, McNichol, and Parkes. I don't list Beirne in that, because I acknowledge he would have stayed at Leinster if we had trusted him, and you deserve credit for making him a professional. I will be an incredibly bitter man when he plays for Munster though. 

Where I have some sympathy for Scarlets is that I understand we seem to have better ability to hold on to our players. I can't think of any top players who left Leinster for money who would have made the 23 this weekend, perhaps Madigan. When we lost Marty Moore I thought we were losing Ireland's starting tighthead, but Furlong and Porter are miles ahead of him now. In contrast, Liam Williams, Rhys Priestland, and George North may not have improved your starting 15 by much, but if they were still part of this scarlets team, their contribution all season and the competitive edge they brought to training would have driven standards. From our end, it seems the WRU are copying our model, and hopefully that leads to an improvement in off the field fortunes for the Welsh Regions. 
Sponsored Links

Scarlet O'Hara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet O'Hara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 1:04pm
BT stand was down to the stadium being built on part of BT's land. They held the WRU over a barrel then acted as if they had been helpful with the building of the stadium.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by D06Blue D06Blue wrote:

Genuine question, why didn't they sell the naming rights at the start? It would surely have reduced the debt repayment timeframe? Or was it because it received money from the Millennium Commission that it had to be called Millennium Stadium?

Not a clue sorry, but I think you're probably right.

The ability of French, English and Irish rugby to get big money in via sponsorship is huge compared to Wales. I think at the Scarlets we're on the right track and have secured alot of deals on the back of our pro12 win. But overall, we're light years behind.

You can normally tell, when they don't release the figures of sponsorship deals that they are less in value than their competitors.

It had to be called millennium due to the millennium grant.

This is why they started having the stands sponsored where BT sponsored one stand.

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 12:31pm

Genuine question, why didn't they sell the naming rights at the start? It would surely have reduced the debt repayment timeframe? Or was it because it received money from the Millennium Commission that it had to be called Millennium Stadium?

Not a clue sorry, but I think you're probably right.

The ability of French, English and Irish rugby to get big money in via sponsorship is huge compared to Wales. I think at the Scarlets we're on the right track and have secured alot of deals on the back of our pro12 win. But overall, we're light years behind.

You can normally tell, when they don't release the figures of sponsorship deals that they are less in value than their competitors.
D06Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D06Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 12:22pm

The WRU had much less to pay towards the Millenium Stadium and you would think that since it is open since 1999 it would be paid off by now

2021 is when the millennium stadium will be paid off.

Genuine question, why didn't they sell the naming rights at the start? It would surely have reduced the debt repayment timeframe? Or was it because it received money from the Millennium Commission that it had to be called Millennium Stadium? Similar mistakes were made with Thomond Park where they thought the name wasn't worth selling around the time of their European glories. Now Munster are still in debt with this whereas probably wouldn't be if they sold the naming rights
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 12:16pm

The WRU had much less to pay towards the Millenium Stadium and you would think that since it is open since 1999 it would be paid off by now

2021 is when the millennium stadium will be paid off.
D06Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D06Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 12:13pm
[/QUOTE]

So is it 20m for each body? The deal was still 40m - which is 4m Euros per year over 10 years.

To compare, the Scottish deal for their stadium (BT Sports) was valued at £5m per year.

The principality stadium deal is worth £1.2m per year. (Locked in for 10 years)

It's these sorts of things that give us a disadvantage.

How can Murrayfield be worth that much more than the Millennium Stadium?[/QUOTE]

I do not know how they manage it but there was a joint company between the IRFU and FAI called the Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company setup to develop the stadium. So it may well run through that and the sponsorship will go towards paying off the stadium

My point was that this money is not currently providing any advantage to the IRFU because it is going towards the debt repayment. The WRU had much less to pay towards the Millenium Stadium and you would think that since it is open since 1999 it would be paid off by now
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 12:00pm

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Begs the question of where the IRFU get hold of that sort of money. The Aviva receipts would only account for about 50% of that sum. So they are raising over £20M over and above stadium receipts bearing in mind the IRFU overhead needs to be met. 

IRFU's sponsorship with Vodafone is worth 15m Euros

Their stadium being sponsored by Aviva netted them 40m Euros

They got 5.75m Euros for doing the grand slam. That'll be spent on a few more Scott Fardy's

It did not net them €40million as firstly the stadium is shared by the FAI and IRFU. Also, the stadium cost €410m of which approximately €190m was provided by the Irish state, which left the IRFU and FAI with €220m to pay. So the Aviva sponsorship goes straight towards that

So is it 20m for each body? The deal was still 40m - which is 4m Euros per year over 10 years.

To compare, the Scottish deal for their stadium (BT Sports) was valued at £5m per year.

The principality stadium deal is worth £1.2m per year. (Locked in for 10 years)

It's these sorts of things that give us a disadvantage.

How can Murrayfield be worth that much more than the Millennium Stadium?
D06Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D06Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 11:51am

Begs the question of where the IRFU get hold of that sort of money. The Aviva receipts would only account for about 50% of that sum. So they are raising over £20M over and above stadium receipts bearing in mind the IRFU overhead needs to be met. 

They got 5.75m Euros for doing the grand slam. That'll be spent on a few more Scott Fardy's

It did not net them €40million as firstly the stadium is shared by the FAI and IRFU. Also, the stadium cost €410m of which approximately €190m was provided by the Irish state, which left the IRFU and FAI with €220m to pay. So the Aviva sponsorship goes straight towards that
D06Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D06Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I would imagine, though I am happy to be told other wise as its a guess, that they get a percentage of the ROI football teams gate receipts who play there?

This is absolutely not the case

Here is the latest IRFU Annual Report for anybody wanting to further investigate

https://www.irishrugby.ie/downloads/IRFU_AnnualReport_1617.pdf

Scarlets beat Leinster in the Pro 12 semi final last year, lost by 1 score to them in February this year and drew with them in March this year. I think you guys should look to the positives and at how well things have gone for Scarlets the last while, and what can be done to improve on that. 

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 11:23am

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 11:08am

I would imagine, though I am happy to be told other wise as its a guess, that they get a percentage of the ROI football teams gate receipts who play there?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 11:04am
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 10:44am

The WRU funds the regions just over £19m a year between 4. That figure includes the £10m competition moneys owed to us though and alot of the rest is compensation money for player release.

The IRFU funds the pro game in Ireland to the tune of £38m. It's unclear if competition money is included in that (it probably is). Their finances are more murkier and less transparent. Leinster's player wage bill is thought to be around £7m, while ours is around £5.5m I think.

exactly. I don't believe TV is included in that £38m...but don't think anyone is 100% on that.
fact of the matter is, the £19m is money that is owed to the regions, so can not be seen as WRU funding in my opinion...that alone brings the sum down to £9m BETWEEN 4!
So each region gets around £2.25m from the WRU but that's not taking into account any compensation. so that sum could easily be below £2m in actual funding where the Irish provinces get get €10m each!

Edited by PE SA - 23 April 2018 at 10:44am
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 10:13am
The WRU funds the regions just over £19m a year between 4. That figure includes the £10m competition moneys owed to us though and alot of the rest is compensation money for player release.

The IRFU funds the pro game in Ireland to the tune of £38m. It's unclear if competition money is included in that (it probably is). Their finances are more murkier and less transparent. Leinster's player wage bill is thought to be around £7m, while ours is around £5.5m I think.
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 10:01am

I don't think the comparison to Ireland works.

Irish provinces are like small nations. Ulster actually is a nation!

Just take a look at the provincial map of Ireland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_Ireland

Geographically, all four of the Welsh regions would fit into one Irish province.

There will never be a day when our academies will produce as many players as Leinster.

It doesn't matter. We work with what we have, and we punch above our weight.

New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic