Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 211212213214215 445>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Jake Bullet Jake Bullet wrote:

What help have ospreys had from WRU?
Lydiate, Davies x2 Anscombe North and now Francis could be others but not sure. In the mean time they have produced little of their own for Welsh squad.
We have had Liam but he was ours anyway before he went. Johnny Williams was hardly established intl when he joined us. 

Still not sure how WRU helped ospreys with these players. They had options and chose the ospreys didn’t they?
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:50am

Originally posted by McQ McQ wrote:

No people on here saying Ruddock and Booth are some sort of dream team. They have worse squad yes but they have had access to most of that squad for most of the season we have had access to very few of our players for most of the season.
Anyway does it matter we have serious problems due to ageing squad and no obvious direction. Where are our signings for next season. Why aren’t we hammering at the WRU ‘s door to get some players placed with us compare us to the Dragons and Ospreys and we have had no one of any substance since Patchell and Halfpenny. 
What about getting Faletau and LRZ with WRU help. 
You give lack of availability of so many squad players as a contributing reason for the poor season, then suggest as a remedy the WRU help us out with a few more players whose availability would be limited also.

Illogical. 
Are you seriously saying we shouldn’t ask to get Faletau and LRZ with  WRU help. The boost for the club would be huge and just think what young Carwyn could learn from Faletau. 

Faletau doesn't need to come back to Wales, he’s got over 80 caps so he’s ok to remain at Bath without harming his international career. 

LRZ will be a free for all when the time comes, he’ll most certainly be on a Welsh contract & one would guess it’ll be down to him where he wants to play. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 7:41am

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

[QUOTE=Why]Lot of lauding of the Ospreys this season under Booth yet they have lost to Zebre the Dragons and us. They also have a worse record than us in league. 
Booth has improved them from last season but I think I could have done that as they were so poor last season.
They have been very lucky with players going to them under WRU contracts more than most regions in fact. 
They certainly have found money from somewhere to buy new players and good luck to them but let’s put their achievements or lack of them 

They’ve played different teams to us and won 8 lost 8 the same as us. 
We had more points whether you like it or not. I was referring to the fact that we have had a crap season and still out performed them. They have had some serious help from the WRU getting players whilst we have had to produce our own.
They moan we get more money but we have produced more players in the recent past and have suffered from supplying more players to Welsh squad. Have they had 23 players missing this season for games I doubt that very much. 
Yes they have improved but started at a very low base. 
So a bit of perspective is needed that’s all I am saying. 

. The ospreys won as many games as we did in with a weaker squad in a stronger conference.  That’s what  is annoying people . I don’t think it is a case of people saying how well they have done but how badly we did!
No people on here saying Ruddock and Booth are some sort of dream team. They have worse squad yes but they have had access to most of that squad for most of the season we have had access to very few of our players for most of the season.
Anyway does it matter we have serious problems due to ageing squad and no obvious direction. Where are our signings for next season. Why aren’t we hammering at the WRU ‘s door to get some players placed with us compare us to the Dragons and Ospreys and we have had no one of any substance since Patchell and Halfpenny. 

Why - I didn't say Ruddock/Booth were a dream team. I said that if I was a 20/21 aspiring professional I would look at their accomplishments and compare them to Delaney/Whiffin and understand why they would make the choice to join the Ospreys. As an aspiring back - Osian Knott - I would also factor in a comparison between Flannagan & Brock James. One has played top level European rugby for top level French teams the other???????

You also seem to think that the Ospreys have somehow received more help in recruitment. Surely players like North & Lydiate would decide who they would sign for not be placed by the WRU???? Your energies attacking all things Osprey is commendable but in my opinion misplaced. You correctly identify though that we have huge problems of our own to concentrate on. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 8:49am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

[QUOTE=Why]Lot of lauding of the Ospreys this season under Booth yet they have lost to Zebre the Dragons and us. They also have a worse record than us in league. 
Booth has improved them from last season but I think I could have done that as they were so poor last season.
They have been very lucky with players going to them under WRU contracts more than most regions in fact. 
They certainly have found money from somewhere to buy new players and good luck to them but let’s put their achievements or lack of them 

They’ve played different teams to us and won 8 lost 8 the same as us. 
We had more points whether you like it or not. I was referring to the fact that we have had a crap season and still out performed them. They have had some serious help from the WRU getting players whilst we have had to produce our own.
They moan we get more money but we have produced more players in the recent past and have suffered from supplying more players to Welsh squad. Have they had 23 players missing this season for games I doubt that very much. 
Yes they have improved but started at a very low base. 
So a bit of perspective is needed that’s all I am saying. 

. The ospreys won as many games as we did in with a weaker squad in a stronger conference.  That’s what  is annoying people . I don’t think it is a case of people saying how well they have done but how badly we did!

Why - I didn't say Ruddock/Booth were a dream team. I said that if I was a 20/21 aspiring professional I would look at their accomplishments and compare them to Delaney/Whiffin and understand why they would make the choice to join the Ospreys. As an aspiring back - Osian Knott - I would also factor in a comparison between Flannagan & Brock James. One has played top level European rugby for top level French teams the other???????

You also seem to think that the Ospreys have somehow received more help in recruitment. Surely players like North & Lydiate would decide who they would sign for not be placed by the WRU???? Your energies attacking all things Osprey is commendable but in my opinion misplaced. You correctly identify though that we have huge problems of our own to concentrate on. 
Read into my posts what you want but the WRU are paying a lot of wages for players not developed by the Ospreys or Dragons.
As for my energies in attacking a bunch of parasites I admit I do but find it so hypocritical that they moan about us getting extra money yet they are receiving money for players they have recruited with the huge financial help of the WRU. 
We do have huge problems which have a lot to do with the success of producing too many internationals and suffering when team Wales comes calling. 

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 11:47am
Ashton Hewitt has been ruled out for the rest of the year following a knee injury.
wetweatherwinger View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetweatherwinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:09pm
Osian Knott has been confirmed. Good opportunity for the lad. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by wetweatherwinger wetweatherwinger wrote:

Will he get any more games at the Ospreys than he would at Scarlets I very much doubt it but good luck to him. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:26pm

It’s the Ospreys though who take all our youngsters. (Except they don’t.)
Rob Hunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

The obsession with the Ospreys on here, is odd.

What Ruddock his doing his building a young squad, looking at raiding other Regions academies .

The worry I have with the Scarlets ,how many hugely talented players have left us between there teenage years and say 23. I know its a huge concern with the current management .

Ospreys are going to recruit and play all their young talent wherever possible. They are giving absolute guarantees of game time to lure other academy players, that along with modest salaries, but look very attractive to academy or development players current earnings.

A sensible bit of long term planning or just building a cheap squad?

Only time will tell.

Either way it’s at least a strategy.
Are these players going to have these absolute guarantees of game time written into their contracts?
It would seem to me that any player signing should insist on that. Their selection policy would then be compromised, if any player’s form didn’t merit selection, but their contract demanded it. 
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:06pm
I don’t know how much more game time he’ll actually get at the Ospreys.  If we are lead to believe that the international season is being realigned for next season meaning that the internationals will be more readily available.  They will have Watkins, Scott, Kieran Williams (who looks good), Tian Wheeler, their other fringe players and now Osian.
If he stayed, he’d be in a pool of centres inc Foxy (who is coming to the end of his career), Jonny Williams, Steff Hughes (somehow undroppable), Tyler Morgan (who isn’t back to his old self) plus any other academy player
However, he’s made his decision to move on and I wish him all the best.  I see this as a thumbs up to our wonderful academy setup, unfortunately no club or region will ever be able to keep all of their academy players, it’s just impossible.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Rob Hunt Rob Hunt wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

The obsession with the Ospreys on here, is odd.

What Ruddock his doing his building a young squad, looking at raiding other Regions academies .

The worry I have with the Scarlets ,how many hugely talented players have left us between there teenage years and say 23. I know its a huge concern with the current management .

Ospreys are going to recruit and play all their young talent wherever possible. They are giving absolute guarantees of game time to lure other academy players, that along with modest salaries, but look very attractive to academy or development players current earnings.

A sensible bit of long term planning or just building a cheap squad?

Only time will tell.

Either way it’s at least a strategy.
Are these players going to have these absolute guarantees of game time written into their contracts?
It would seem to me that any player signing should insist on that. Their selection policy would then be compromised, if any player’s form didn’t merit selection, but their contract demanded it. 

Well judging by some of our selections this season & omissions some of our boys are already on contracts which contain appearance guarantees. 
wetweatherwinger View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetweatherwinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:46pm
Well he’s certainly got more of a chance of games for a team that offers him a contract in comparison to a team that doesn’t want him. He’s a talented player who has an opportunity at another team. If Delaney didn’t want him, that’s our gain. What’s the alternative for the lad?

Edited by wetweatherwinger - 08 April 2021 at 1:47pm
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:48pm

Well he’s certainly got more of a chance of games for a team that offers him a contract in comparison to a team that doesn’t want him. He’s a talented player who has an opportunity at another team. If Delaney didn’t want him, that’s our gain. What’s the alternative for the lad?

Do we know for certain we didn't offer him a contract?
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 2:03pm
Most of the young players that have left over the years have not been a great success, and those who have done well, have taken anything from 3-4 years to improve. Would they have improved quicker at home no one will ever know, and do we invest in those players while others are coming up. I do not have the full picture and I do think we need that to make a proper judgement, I do anyway.

Charts that are kept, of the progress of players, including key dates, once upon a time they were on a wall near the Head Coach or whatever he was called, now they will be on some sort of ad hock spreadsheet. They would make wonderful reading.

We were all young at one time and we invariably did what we wanted regardless of the advice of others, now the young players have agents as well who allegedly help, or otherwise they are under pressure to do what they think is the best for them.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:35pm

The Ospreys can announce the signing of exciting young centre Osian Knott on a two-year deal.

Knott, 21, will join the Liberty Stadium-based regional rugby franchise from the Scarlets at the end of the season.

A hard running and tough tackling centre, who can play on the wing, Knott’s signing will bolster the Ospreys squad. 

The Wales U18s and U20s centre scored two tries against Ireland during the U20s Six Nations campaign in 2020.

Osian Knott, Wales U20s centre, said:

“The Ospreys are a fantastic club, they have lots of quality players and someone like centre Owen Watkin is someone I know I can learn from. 

“Toby explained what the Ospreys want to be and want to achieve, and it’s something I really want to be a part of and, hopefully, can add to.

“I have set myself some goals and I believe the Ospreys is the best place where I can achieve them.  Toby has shown he has faith in youngsters but there is some real quality at centre and it’s going to be really good for me because it will push my standards to be higher.

“I am not expecting it to be easy at the Ospreys, nothing in life is easy, and hopefully it will push me to be a better player, which is what I want.”

“For a young player to be in the same environment with role models, like Alun Wyn Jones and Justin Tipuric, is just exciting, and to be able to learn of them is something any young player would want to do.”

Osian Knott 
“TOBY EXPLAINED WHAT THE OSPREYS WANT TO BE AND WANT TO ACHIEVE, AND IT’S SOMETHING I REALLY WANT TO BE A PART OF AND, HOPEFULLY, CAN ADD TO."

Toby Booth, Ospreys Head Coach, said:

“Osian is a Wales U20s international and it is part of the Ospreys strategy to recruit young players to increase the depth and quality of our squad.  

“He has played centre and wing, so he gives us some versatility, and he has a real physical presence. That is an attribute we are looking for.”

hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:38pm
Good Luck Ossian Knott saw him play for the Quins has got potential shame he got injured and not been involved with the scarlets more 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 211212213214215 445>
  Share Topic