Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 218219220221222 445>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 6:24pm
We’ve been here before with bans being reduced for previous good disciplinary record.  If the top players are dealt with rather leniently in the first place or not even cited for foul play etc, then any future disciplinary panel have no evidence of previous discretions to demand the full punishment and are then forced to reduce bans even further.
Just look at O’Mahony who got 3 weeks for the red card in the 6 nations, as he had previous good disciplinary record, despite being sent off against the scarlets months earlier for a cheap shot on Ball, but got off as it was deemed a yellow card offence.
I believe that international players (from tier 1 nations) get dealt with more leniently than players from tier 2 or 3 nations at disciplinary panels, I’m sure if it was a non international player from Quins had done that, he. Would have probably been looking at a minimum of 12 weeks.
Sponsored Links

hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 6:25pm
Matthew screech to Cardiff blues from dragons
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Matthew screech to Cardiff blues from dragons
he is decent at pro 14 level be a good addition for thr blues
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 6:49pm
Yep.

I'm seeing 2nd rows, recruitment/retention of, becoming the new TH.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 7:00pm
The most valuable welsh players are guys like screech good enough to be first team regulars but not good enough to be a welsh squad player. We tend to fall down here our players are either test level or not good enough to be a first choice regular. Maybe the two stef’s are our guys. Blacker and morgan jones are not far away from test call ups imo

Edited by RR1972 - 12 May 2021 at 7:01pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:01am
I would have liked to see us in for Screech if we were thinking of recruiting two 2nd rows. Decent player who is very durable and will be in the starting Cardiff 23 all season. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:29am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The most valuable welsh players are guys like screech good enough to be first team regulars but not good enough to be a welsh squad player. We tend to fall down here our players are either test level or not good enough to be a first choice regular. Maybe the two stef’s are our guys. Blacker and morgan jones are not far away from test call ups imo

Yes indeed.Turnbull is a superb asset ( although he has had some caps ) but available so much for Cardiff. Ditto Dan Evans at Ospreys. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 11:58am
Yep. It's why guys like Lloyd Ashley, Joe Davies, Bradley Davies, Rory Thornton, Ratti and others, who, on their own merits, are not really top drawer, or were and aren't any more, but are regulars in every match day 23 for their regions.

We went the other other way and tried to recruit in to the 2nd row.

The list is long and unimpressive (Tadgh acknowledged as an outlier in that).

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Yep. It's why guys like Lloyd Ashley, Joe Davies, Bradley Davies, Rory Thornton, Ratti and others, who, on their own merits, are not really top drawer, or were and aren't any more, but are regulars in every match day 23 for their regions.

What you say is true Wil. You could add Rawlins to that list as he is/has been a good servant to the club and usually doesn't leave anything on the field.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

What you say is true Wil. You could add Rawlins to that list as he is/has been a good servant to the club and usually doesn't leave anything on the field.

Agree wholeheartedly GPR, I would also include Phil Price, and Mark Jones, who despite limited opportunities has never let us down. Phil's scrummaging has come on a lot this year as has his carrying at times.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 3:59pm
3 week bans for Owen Lane & Rhys Lawerence.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:28pm
Again, these bans seem to be odd.  The dragons player was coming into the ruck clean out but made contact with Turnbull’s head (accidentally by the looks of it), yet Lane lead with the shoulder (in an act which didn’t look accidental) and both get a 3 week ban - one looks accidental whilst the other one doesn’t, yet both carry the same punishment.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Again, these bans seem to be odd.  The dragons player was coming into the ruck clean out but made contact with Turnbull’s head (accidentally by the looks of it), yet Lane lead with the shoulder (in an act which didn’t look accidental) and both get a 3 week ban - one looks accidental whilst the other one doesn’t, yet both carry the same punishment.

I've long given up any hope of bans being anywhere near consistent. Loads of bans always seem to 'luckily' end just before 6 Nations for a lot of internationals.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 1:25pm
As anyone seen the tackle by Robbie Henshaw last night on the Ulster winger.  It was recklessly high (he even managed to knock himself out, but didn’t even get yellow carded following a TMO review.
Even the Irish pundits were bemused by the fact that he got away with it, now that says something.
Like I’ve said a number of times, tier one international players generally saying get away with more than than players from lower tier countries or non current international or club/regional players. I’m sure that if the tackle was the other way around the Ulster player would have received a yellow card at least.
I thought that Iain Henderson (Ulster captain) was right to use his challenge to get the incident reviewed, as I don’t believe that the referee saw anything wrong with the challenge in the first place.  I also agree with his comments to the referee (when told that there was no clear indication that it was dangerous play) that he didn’t agree, and that it was more than a nothing tackle as both players needed treatment and by the fact that Henshaw needed to go off for a HIA assessment suggested that he made contact with the ball carrier with his head.
I’m not too sure whether their are allowed to cite him after both the referee and TMO reviewed the incident and agreed that no serious foul play had occurred. If he was cited then I believe that Henshaw is also unlikely to receive too harsh a punishment as he’s been selected for the B I lions to SA in a few weeks time.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 1:50pm
The Irish games were both played like cup finals. Huge commitment and intensity rarely seen in the Welsh derbies.  A step above the rugby we produce.  Most of the Lions were playing and were putting about as though they were in South Africa.
Bath and Sale was even more physical and the Lions on show really put it about.
I hope our Lions show a similar appetite today...oh wait a minute!!!!
Keep the faith
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 1:40pm
I agree with you, the Irish derby matches have been ferocious in comparison to the Welsh derby matches, and the skill levels much greater too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 218219220221222 445>
  Share Topic