Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 220221222223224 445>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

We do have the best squad by the only objective measure which is who finished the league with the most points.

What you say of course is true. However we languish in 9th from 12 in the Rainbow Cup League & 4th of 4 Welsh regions. 
Sponsored Links

greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:38am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

We do have the best squad by the only objective measure which is who finished the league with the most points.

What you say of course is true. However we languish in 9th from 12 in the Rainbow Cup League & 4th of 4 Welsh regions. 
You beat me to the punch there.🙄
Keep the faith
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:51am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

You beat me to the punch there.🙄

Thumbs Up
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:04am
We're very eager to paint the bleakest picture aren't we.

Yes lets go based on the rainbow cup that everyone is taking really seriously, the one with Benetton top and Ulster bottom. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:17am
I’m glad people are relishing in how badly we are doing in the Rainbow cup bear in mind we have played a very experimental side in all three games and nowhere near our best available side. Contrast that with the other regions who appear to have their best available sides out in general. 
Over the season in which we have been hammered more than anyone else by team Wales, we still finished top region in the league and went further than anyone in Europe.
Yes we have been very poor and the Ospreys have improved but from a very very low base.
We have a new coaching team coming in with a few more recruits, apparently so we are looking upwards.
Instead of running us down constantly and bigging up the other regions let’s look at a bit of reality and rejoice in the fact we are Scarlets supporters whether by birth or choice and whatever happens they can’t take that away from us. 

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:31am

Yes lets go based on the rainbow cup that everyone is taking really seriously, the one with Benetton top and Ulster bottom. 

From what I've seen of the three rounds the only ones not taking it seriously are the Scarlets.  The Irish derbies have been particularly ferocious and have had full participation of their Lions.  
I wouldn't fancy our chances against a full strength Benetton either who are enjoying a run of games with all their internationals available and showing what they are capable of.
Keep the faith
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:56am
Of the 13 Irish and Scottish Lions based in the proTBC only 3 started on the weekend.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:58am
I'm not trying to paint a pretty picture here, just offering a bit of balance.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:08am

From what I've seen of the three rounds the only ones not taking it seriously are the Scarlets.  The Irish derbies have been particularly ferocious and have had full participation of their Lions.  
I wouldn't fancy our chances against a full strength Benetton either who are enjoying a run of games with all their internationals available and showing what they are capable of.

If this was a competition that offered European places then I'd be all for us going gun-ho at it but in reality it is a friendly tournament with no real reward. 

At present, its teaching us:

• that we have some good youngsters coming through, 
  • we need some bulk at 4/5
  • we play well when our passing & basic catching skills are operating well
  • our defence leaves a lot to be desired
All of which we were fully aware of before the Cup began.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:15am
A little wasted when the narrative is to accentuate the negative G12.

Tickles me as to what the point is actually...we have moved out our Head coach based on the team underperforming this term, ultimately there's not much else of real note to do right now. We actually don't have a coach that is assured of being around next season ( except maybe Franks)

We have more players playing representative rugby than any other region...now I don't think that benefits us exactly, but it's a clear benchmark of squad quality and shreds anything stated to the contrary.

Measuring our performance, or other teams performances, in the Rainbow cup is like trying to find the world's tallest dwarf. Personally I hope we give anyone we can a game...there really is nothing else to gain since the SA teams couldn't come. It's been a great showcase for guys like Blacker and Rogers to show their ability, and for Rob Evs, Shingler and a couple of others to get some much needed game time in, as well as seeing a few academy boys..

Focus should really be on next season.

However, and of course, everyone who desires to continue to take a daily dip in to the pool of this season's mediocrity is welcome to do so...maybe just the one thread though if I may.
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:25am
Man for man I think we do have the best squad in Wales, but an army is only as good as it's generals and their tactics, and we certainly haven't been using our squad to their best potential (even those that are fit enough to select) indeed of late we have looked grossly ill-prepared.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:44am
My response to Wil, Why & Gate12 is as follows. I certainly am not celebrating our poor form in the Rainbow Cup and totally agree that the tournament is being used, correctly, to give squad players who have had very little gametime this season much needed exposure whether that is top end guys returning from injury - Shingler, Rawlins & Rob to mention 3 or to see some of our younger most promising talent exposed at this level - Blacker, Rogers, Roberts & Iestyn Rees to name 4. 

My point above was that we are living in a fools paradise if we really think that a lot of our players outside our best starting 23 would walk into other regions - this is clearly unfair & untrue. Equally classing the Ospreys backline yesterday as Premiership standard is disengenuous. I am on record as saying that the appointment of Dwayne is by far and away the best one we will make for next season. If it is followed by the appointment of a quality defence coach it will be even more important. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:59am
Blues and Drags back lines were far superior to the Scarlets and Ospreys back lines on show, that's for sure.
Some of that is available talent ( we probably had 3 first team backs on show where the Blues had probably 6), but most of it was the fundamentals of defence and attack...alignment, drift/blitz decision making, communication, first up tackling, play execution and passing accuracy.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 12:07pm
The other regions haven’t been picking their best 15 apart from the ospreys vs blues, i echo will’s concerns it’s not the results it’s the manner of our play that bothers me. Lack of a game plan and our defence is all at sea. If a team keeps the ball for a few phases they always seem to out flank us, how many times have we coughed up a bonus point for trys to the oppositon?  Look at halfpenny a world class defensive 15 he was all over the place saturday buying dummies, getting stepped etc 

Edited by RR1972 - 17 May 2021 at 12:10pm
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:05pm

If we played exactly the same teams fair enough but there’s two conferences. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:37pm
Bristol have had 6 tries ruled out in the first half against Gloucester!! Including one where Piatau was show boating & stopping running before reaching the line. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 220221222223224 445>
  Share Topic