Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 445>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 10:45am
Tbh if smith played the quins 8 9 and 10 for england theyd be far better in attack
Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 11:25am
England have that perennial problem sometimes where they don’t know who’s their best player in key positions 

Don’t forget George Ford is directing Leicester to wins for fun. 

Looks like Eddie might stick with Smith for this 6Nations, then with Ford going to Sale next year he might look to build on the Quirke-Ford combination at 9/10 for the RWC

Enviable depth 

Edited by dyniol53 - 15 January 2022 at 11:25am
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 11:41am
Young Smith is indeed a delight. I agree with you RR Dombrandt, Care & Smith given the licence to play would transform England but Eddie is a little too conservative. Jarrod Evans has many of Smith's attributes apart from his goalkicking of course which is pretty fundamental for an International 10 unless you have another option. 
townboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 12:57pm
Enjoyed  the game but Cardiff will be kicking themselves that they close the game out..Very surprised Rhys didn't go for a drop goal towards the end..The game came down to missed kicks at goal and poor game management when Cardiff had a 10 point lead...
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by townboy townboy wrote:

Enjoyed  the game but Cardiff will be kicking themselves that they close the game out..Very surprised Rhys didn't go for a drop goal towards the end..The game came down to missed kicks at goal and poor game management when Cardiff had a 10 point lead...

At 33-26 with 10 minutes to go they tuned down a very kickable penalty to go for the corner. A 10 point lead at that stage would probably have given them at least a draw. Its all well & good going into a game with the mindset of nothing to lose & going on the attack but when the game is there for the taking leaders have to step up and make strong decisions. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 1:29pm
Watching Wasps v Toulouse. A cracking game. Missed the line ups and hope Pieter Scholtz is on the bench. EDIT Just checked and he’s not. Hope the injury clears up soon as the comms team said only fit props were in today’s 23.

Commentary is much better on Channel 4 than BT with Dallaglio.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 15 January 2022 at 1:33pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 2:20pm
I thought that Quins had totally underestimated Cardiff and if they missed that many tackles in the English premiership I doubt whether they would be doing well at all. They were also often knocked backward in contact more often than not. Dai Young is beginning to put together a well drilled physical side that should be able to compete much better in the future.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Watching Wasps v Toulouse. A cracking game. Missed the line ups and hope Pieter Scholtz is on the bench. EDIT Just checked and he’s not. Hope the injury clears up soon as the comms team said only fit props were in today’s 23.

The BBC website teamsheet was wrong. Pieter came on in 66th minute and Wasps scored a try from the scrum that was his first part in the action.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 3:27pm
Scholtz came on with about 30 minutes to go, did well on the loose and held his own in the scrum, overall a good performance by him.
Great win for wasps (who played for an 1 hour down to 14 men), they thoroughly deserved the win against the current champions, who looked poor and bereft of ideas behind their pack.
A great game of rugby, well done Wasps.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 7:56am

The BBC website teamsheet was wrong. Pieter came on in 66th minute and Wasps scored a try from the scrum that was his first part in the action.

Yes he did fantastically well for the try keeping the scrum steady when it had been obliterated previously. Also showed up well in the loose. Well done Pieter - your uncle will be proud!!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 8:03am
A brave effort from the Ospreys until they ran out of steam in the final 20. A huge worry for me for Wales is the form of the 10's. From what I have seen only Biggar is showing anything near to International form. Anscombe is a shadow of his former self - only his goalkicking is back to its best. From the Ospreys team yesterday I thought Gareth Thomas & Tomas Francis went well, Dewi Lake is fantastic in the loose but his perennial problem of throwing in is still evident.

Owen Watkin was the pick of backs for me and I hope he gets selected ahead of the vastly overrated Tompkins. Big game today for our boys in the centres to push themselves centre stage. 
townboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 9:41am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

A brave effort from the Ospreys until they ran out of steam in the final 20. A huge worry for me for Wales is the form of the 10's. From what I have seen only Biggar is showing anything near to International form. Anscombe is a shadow of his former self - only his goalkicking is back to its best. From the Ospreys team yesterday I thought Gareth Thomas & Tomas Francis went well, Dewi Lake is fantastic in the loose but his perennial problem of throwing in is still evident.

Owen Watkin was the pick of backs for me and I hope he gets selected ahead of the vastly overrated Tompkins. Big game today for our boys in the centres to push themselves centre stage. 

Good summary…A brave effort but never looked like scoring tries,Anscombe looks a shadow of himself,he’s kicking his goals but ther aspects of his game are way below his high standards…Watkin was their best back..Dewi Lake still struggles at the lineout with less than 50% success rate,good around the park but just can’t throw in..For me Gareth Thomas played his best game in an Ospreys shirt and looks very much to be part of the 6 nations squad 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 10:13am

Agree that they have brave effort but in reality shouldn’t the top Welsh region be beating a mid table French side on their travels. 

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Agree that they have brave effort but in reality shouldn’t the top Welsh region be beating a mid table French side on their travels. 

They shouldn't be beating a side with three times their playing budget, no. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Considering the cultural significance of the game and the history of producing great players in the area they represent,the Ospreys are under-achieving.Their squad is better than their results suggest,and their failure to score tries is reminiscent of what happened closer to home over the last 2 seasons.Darren Edwards is on his way to join Booth,which will improve nothing.Booth's idiocy may not be as obvious as was Delaney's,in his stupid hat with his gormless platitudes,but in spite of the measured sound-bites delivered in his estuary English,Booth is a bluffer and his record is poor.Orders and others are not doing the Welsh game any favours by cutting him any slack at all.Whilst I can admit that there are some arguments to favour the appointment of an outsider to coach the national side,although I would prefer to see a Welshman do the job,I think people like Booth and Ryan,like Delaney and Jackman,are simply evidence of the mess that is the game in Wales.Thankfully we seem to be on the right road in Llanelli.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

You can have all the money in the world but how come the English sides, forget the cheats Saracens, can compete regularly with the French. I know some French teams are owned by Billionares so the playing field will never be the same but Racing are not the top French side they are 8th in the league and are being beaten by sides in the league with lower budgets so money is not everything.
The Ospreys have benefitted more than any other Welsh team from internationals joining them with WRU money, though Blues catching them up quickly. They have the most rugby clubs of any region yet they are not producing the amount of quality players they should be doing better.
I agree the regions are hamstrung by WRU but that is where we are and we have to come up with ways of competing with these sides with what we have.

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 445>
  Share Topic