Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 236237238239240 445>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 8:49am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

The talk of our Lions being only available for one game before going into Welsh camp is surely a little over the top. Only Ken of the 4 saw any serious action ( in terms of minutes) in the series. Cawdor hardly played any rugby in South Africa, Wyn only around 50 minutes in tests, Liam not much more so surely they should be able to turn out for more than one game prior to the end of October. It really does make  a farce of our league if huge matches against Munster & Leinster do not feature the best players. 

My guess is the 6 week break post-Lions was something to do with being in a bubble for so long and quarantining on the way back too. Mental health as well as physical health is probably behind it.

I only say this because I know the reality TV shows like Big Brother/Love Island all have issues every year with contestants adjusting back to normal life having been in a “bubble” for 6-8 weeks.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 8:56am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

The talk of our Lions being only available for one game before going into Welsh camp is surely a little over the top. Only Ken of the 4 saw any serious action ( in terms of minutes) in the series. Cawdor hardly played any rugby in South Africa, Wyn only around 50 minutes in tests, Liam not much more so surely they should be able to turn out for more than one game prior to the end of October. It really does make  a farce of our league if huge matches against Munster & Leinster do not feature the best players. 

My guess is the 6 week break post-Lions was something to do with being in a bubble for so long and quarantining on the way back too. Mental health as well as physical health is probably behind it.

I only say this because I know the reality TV shows like Big Brother/Love Island all have issues every year with contestants adjusting back to normal life having been in a “bubble” for 6-8 weeks.

I have absolutely no problem with players' mental & physical well being being looked after. My issues are twofold - firstly the ongoing idiotic scheduling of fixtures & secondly if they report back on 20th I don't understand why they cannot feature before week 4. I appreciate that they will have had 6 weeks off but their fitness levels must have been sky high 6 weeks ago so why would they need another 4 weeks before they are ready for a game? It will be very interesting to see when Maro Itoje feature for Saracens as he played every minute of the tests.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 9:03am
Not sure if anyone else saw that Aki was back plsying on Saturday.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Very interesting Dai - thanks. It just makes me feel that some of our top players, aided by the WRU's wayward thinking, do not see playing for the Scarlets as the huge honour it is but just a means to prepare for the International season. I stress the word some. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 9:17am
My understanding is thst  they do want to play, , but csn't because of WRU, I think it needs a review with ALL parties involved.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 9:30am

My understanding is thst  they do want to play, , but csn't because of WRU, I think it needs a review with ALL parties involved.

That would not surprise me at all. The WRU are so not fit for purpose it sometimes surprises me that the National team has had so much success. Do the WRU for instance want to beat NZ or are they just after the funds? If they do really desire a victory then I would respectfully suggest that all their Lions players really could do with more than one fixture to prepare for a team that will be battle hardened 7 ready to go. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 9:50am
I think it important that we don't lose sight of the real problem.Arrangement of fixtures is,I think,a symptom and not a cause.The international players belong to the WRU-the Welsh clubs own a small share,20%,in each individual player.Fixtures,rest-periods,etc are arranged by the primary employer to suit their interests,not those of the minority share-holders.Until and unless there's a change to that,then the system will remain flawed and we'll have to put up with this crap.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 10:32am

Very interesting Dai - thanks. It just makes me feel that some of our top players, aided by the WRU's wayward thinking, do not see playing for the Scarlets as the huge honour it is but just a means to prepare for the International season. I stress the word some. 
I can’t think of one player who is an international who doesn’t give his all for the Scarlet cause. Huge accusation to make when you see the commitment these boys put into playing for us. The players take advice from the WRU who you would like to think are employing the best people to give that advice.
It is frustrating for us supporters not to see our best players agreed but they are only with Wales because of the great performances they have put in for the Scarlet cause. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 11:06am

Yep, I think the WRU takes the view of (f*** the regions) working backwards from 2023. So that’s 2 years away now and these players are getting a prolonged rest before that 2 year season starts.

Do they want to beat NZ? Yes. Is it a priority? No. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I can’t think of one player who is an international who doesn’t give his all for the Scarlet cause. Huge accusation to make when you see the commitment these boys put into playing for us. The players take advice from the WRU who you would like to think are employing the best people to give that advice.
It is frustrating for us supporters not to see our best players agreed but they are only with Wales because of the great performances they have put in for the Scarlet cause. 
there’s a few current welsh squad players who are there based on what they have done in  a test jersey over recent years and not what they have done in a scarlet jersey, liam and foxy are two of them. They are top players but their  contribution to the region in the last 12 to 18 months is not enough to hAve justified selection to the test teAm, i’m not saying they don’t try just due to injuries/ test call ups they hardly plAy

Edited by RR1972 - 13 September 2021 at 1:01pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

there’s a few current welsh squad players who there based on what they have done in  a test jersey over recent years and not what they have done in a scarlet jersey, liam and foxy are two of them

I couldn't agree more RR. The capitulation against Sale last season remains a stark reminder to me that things clearly were not right at PYS. We should be able to rely on very experienced Internationals to motivate others & not just accept such a hammering in such an important game. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 1:52pm

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

there’s a few current welsh squad players who there based on what they have done in  a test jersey over recent years and not what they have done in a scarlet jersey, liam and foxy are two of them

I couldn't agree more RR. The capitulation against Sale last season remains a stark reminder to me that things clearly were not right at PYS. We should be able to rely on very experienced Internationals to motivate others & not just accept such a hammering in such an important game. 

I agree to a point, but when you have a side that strong and they get humbled like that it always smacks of lack of clarity and leadership up top - tactics, strategy etc. The best players in the country don’t become bad players overnight and there’s only so much on field leaders can do to rip up the playbook and invent new defensive strategies. 

The only time I’ve see that happen was Finn Russell when he had a barmy with Townsend at half time when they were 31-7 pts down at Twickenham. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2021 at 11:53am
Just read in the Guardian that most of the English Lions will not be back playing for their clubs until mid Oct, the majority are unlikely to be seen in regular action for their clubs until December.

It seems therefore that it is a general agreement with the unions, the Irish may have some a different interpretation though.

I think I should say sorry to the WRU !!!!!!

Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2021 at 12:20pm

Duane Vermeulen signs for ulster? 

HUUUGE 

Edited by Owen111 - 16 September 2021 at 12:20pm
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2021 at 1:25pm
Massive signing. Actually shocked me with that.
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2021 at 6:15am
I'm not surprised.moneybags Ireland will.always win
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 236237238239240 445>
  Share Topic