Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets & Ospreys to play home matches on JD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlets & Ospreys to play home matches on JD
    Posted: 26 November 2018 at 4:01pm
The Welsh Rugby Union has revealed a new four-year deal for Judgement Day that involves the Scarlets and Ospreys surrendering home fixtures in the future. It's a move away from the previous six years, that saw the Cardiff Blues and Dragons regularly give up a home fixture for the regions' big day out at the Principality Stadium.

Previously, the gate receipts have been split evenly between the two home sides but in a significant move, all four regions are now part of the agreement.

The ticket profits will also be split differently, with the home teams pocketing 80% and the away sides taking home 20%.

The WRU hopes to work with the Guinness PRO14 to ensure that the teams with 11 home league games that particular season are the nominated home teams on Judgement Day, ensuring all four regions have 10 league games at their home ground per season. Another advancement sees prices for season ticket holders of the away teams frozen at £10 per head or £5 concession for under-16s. Home team season tickets will continue to include Judgement Day.

“We have evolved our approach to the Judgement Day concept over the years, it has become a must-see attraction in Welsh rugby’s annual calendar and a celebration of the regional game,” said WRU chief executive Martyn Phillips.

“We have been working hard on ensuring that the event goes from strength to strength and a fundamentally collaborative approach, ensuring all four teams are now fully incentivised financially as well as competitively on the field, is the way forward.

“Judgement Day attendances have now broken the 60,000 mark for the last three years in a row, this is consistently the top fixture in the Guinness PRO14 calendar and we will be doing everything in our power to ensure it comes back even bigger and better at the culmination of a huge season for Welsh rugby ahead of RWC 2019.”

The next instalment of Judgement Day has been confirmed for April 27 when the Dragons will face the Scarlets at 3pm before the Cardiff Blues against the Ospreys at 5:15pm.

As the final round of action before the post season, it could be the final chance for Warren Gatland and his coaching staff to get a look at the players before selecting his squad for the 2019 Rugby World Cup, almost creating a trial situation.

Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 4:06pm
I have never been to one of these, so two questions:

1. Are they more, or less, pleasant than Wales matches? (Probably more 'genuine' rugby fans, but maybe more risk of 'unpleasantness' from rival supporters).

2. Is it all to pay, or do ST holders of the 'home' teams get in free?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 4:15pm
I quite enjoy them. I haven’t been to an international for years mind.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 4:43pm
Season ticket holders will surely get free entrance , this will be a fair bit of extra wedge for us 
I understand the complaint it loses us one of our games at home. Maybe the club can make up for this by offering free coach tickets for season ticket holders? I assume we only lose this one home fixture once every 2 years which isnt a big sacrifice. I would curb it at that though. Cardiff is a pricey day out , though the free coach ticket and free match ticket for season ticket holders certainly saves a lot of that. The only other downside is these people wont be in llanelli on that match day so less atmosphere and less people and less spending around the town on that day too

Edited by roy munster - 26 November 2018 at 5:57pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
GreyScarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreyScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 5:03pm
I went to the first two, but got fed up having to stand up every two minutes to have beer spilt on me by passing 'rugby fans' who didn't seem to worried about missing any rugby that was going on behind them

At home I saw all of the rugby, admittedly with less atmosphere.
Virtually perfect rugby - 1992/93
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 5:27pm
Personally I think it's a dreadful idea. Losing home games for money. Where does it end?

The Cardiff crowd were very unhappy as they had to pay £10 for discounted tickets and they were all in the lower tier. And that's before you consider the majority of their fanbase doesn't have a 100 mile round trip.

In recent years we're getting fewer and fewer games in PyS for the price of a season ticket.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Personally I think it's a dreadful idea. Losing home games for money. Where does it end?

The Cardiff crowd were very unhappy as they had to pay £10 for discounted tickets and they were all in the lower tier. And that's before you consider the majority of their fanbase doesn't have a 100 mile round trip.

In recent years we're getting fewer and fewer games in PyS for the price of a season ticket.

How are we getting less?
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 5:55pm

If it means that the Scarlets supporters are together that's brilliant for me !!

We may have a chance to create our unique atmosphere on the occasion now .
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

How are we getting less?

Don't we get less now (10) than we did two seasons ago. In alternating years?

Now, we're told that when we do get 11, one of them isn't even at our home.

PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:03pm

A revenue maximising strategy, surely it's a no-brainer if it means we'll get an extra £100k or whatever it is?

And regards losing the game at PYS and having been turfed out of a Dragons game and an Ospreys one, I'm looking forward to finally being chucked out of a home Scarlets game. Just the Blues for the clean-sweep. So on a selfish level I welcome this opportunity.

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

A revenue maximising strategy, surely it's a no-brainer if it means we'll get an extra £100k or whatever it is?

And regards losing the game at PYS and having been turfed out of a Dragons game and an Ospreys one, I'm looking forward to finally being chucked out of a home Scarlets game. Just the Blues for the clean-sweep. So on a selfish level I welcome this opportunity.

Why don't we play 5 or 6 of our games there then? And get a cool half million?
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I have never been to one of these, so two questions:

1. Are they more, or less, pleasant than Wales matches? (Probably more 'genuine' rugby fans, but maybe more risk of 'unpleasantness' from rival supporters).

2. Is it all to pay, or do ST holders of the 'home' teams get in free?

The Welsh Rugby Union has revealed a new four-year deal for Judgement Day that involves the Scarlets and Ospreys surrendering home fixtures in the future. It's a move away from the previous six years, that saw the Cardiff Blues and Dragons regularly give up a home fixture for the regions' big day out at the Principality Stadium.

Previously, the gate receipts have been split evenly between the two home sides but in a significant move, all four regions are now part of the agreement.

The ticket profits will also be split differently, with the home teams pocketing 80% and the away sides taking home 20%.

The WRU hopes to work with the Guinness PRO14 to ensure that the teams with 11 home league games that particular season are the nominated home teams on Judgement Day, ensuring all four regions have 10 league games at their home ground per season. Another advancement sees prices for season ticket holders of the away teams frozen at £10 per head or £5 concession for under-16s. Home team season tickets will continue to include Judgement Day.

“We have evolved our approach to the Judgement Day concept over the years, it has become a must-see attraction in Welsh rugby’s annual calendar and a celebration of the regional game,” said WRU chief executive Martyn Phillips.

“We have been working hard on ensuring that the event goes from strength to strength and a fundamentally collaborative approach, ensuring all four teams are now fully incentivised financially as well as competitively on the field, is the way forward.

“Judgement Day attendances have now broken the 60,000 mark for the last three years in a row, this is consistently the top fixture in the Guinness PRO14 calendar and we will be doing everything in our power to ensure it comes back even bigger and better at the culmination of a huge season for Welsh rugby ahead of RWC 2019.”

The next instalment of Judgement Day has been confirmed for April 27 when the Dragons will face the Scarlets at 3pm before the Cardiff Blues against the Ospreys at 5:15pm.

As the final round of action before the post season, it could be the final chance for Warren Gatland and his coaching staff to get a look at the players before selecting his squad for the 2019 Rugby World Cup, almost creating a trial situation.

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:32pm
JD is crap. No atmosphere. At least half the crowd have no investment in the teams playing and are just there to experience the stadium.

Awful beer is £5/ pint as well
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:33pm
And it's 100 miles each way and costs a packet to get there!!!
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

And it's 100 miles each way and costs a packet to get there!!!

Tenner on a bus?
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:51pm
Good for the City of Cardiff bad for the town of Llanelli. The richer get richer the poor plodder.
Keep the faith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic