Zebre Match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zebre Match thread
    Posted: 14 April 2019 at 6:18pm
At times, our play reminded me a bit of those first three games a few seasons ago when we were trying to get to grips with Pivacball (sorry, hope that doesnlt stick), where we went from side to side without much penetration.  It's as if we were learning that style all over again and not quire getting to grips with it.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 14 April 2019 at 6:19pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Unless we can clear out and release the ball much sharper than we did initially, then there is little point mechanically passing the ball along the line to our outside backs, as the opposition will be on top of them before they can pick up any speed or make space. Although I'm not a fan of kicking too much ball away there is surely a case for occasionally chipping over the advancing backs into space and chasing energetically as they turn. Unfortunately Dan Jones is no Bennett and being a little ponderous he is more likely to have slow ball charged down than to quickly chip into space. Perhaps we need to be looking to improve the speed of Cawdor's retrieval/service and find a more agile 10 when Patchell is not available.

Very precise and correct analysis - Scarlets looked like a school team at times - 'get the ball to the winger' - without doing anything to prevent the opposition from simply drifting across and making their tackles.

The attack ploys need a lot more variety next week.
As I was screaming several times during the game: "Straighten up!" We simply didn't care about fixing defenders for most of the game, which we would have put to bed comfortably if we had been more efficient with attacking possession.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Unless we can clear out and release the ball much sharper than we did initially, then there is little point mechanically passing the ball along the line to our outside backs, as the opposition will be on top of them before they can pick up any speed or make space. Although I'm not a fan of kicking too much ball away there is surely a case for occasionally chipping over the advancing backs into space and chasing energetically as they turn. Unfortunately Dan Jones is no Bennett and being a little ponderous he is more likely to have slow ball charged down than to quickly chip into space. Perhaps we need to be looking to improve the speed of Cawdor's retrieval/service and find a more agile 10 when Patchell is not available.

Very precise and correct analysis - Scarlets looked like a school team at times - 'get the ball to the winger' - without doing anything to prevent the opposition from simply drifting across and making their tackles.

In addition I'd say that we are passing too far in front of the opposition which then allows them to drift and crowd out our winger. Last night we did vary it a little by throwing out long passes, but again we passed too early and the ball was in the air for far too long, which again allowed the defence to drift.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 3:32pm

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Cawdor and Dan were very ponderous anD didn’t keep the Zebre backrow honest by upping the tempo.
Hardy and Patchell made a huge difference when they can on, they took the game to the gain line and Zebre couldn’t handle it.

I think this is a bug in Cawdor's game that naturally puts our 10 under pressure. 

He has electric pace and gets in the oppo 10s face in defence, but he is often slow to get to rucks and get the ball out quickly.

I think this could go someway to explain why by the time we get it out wide, we're often under pressure and have to force a pass.

After Hardy's impact yesterday I'd like to see him start against the Dragons with Davies and Patch coming off the bench. 

Hardy was excellent - but it would put an awful lot of pressure on a young player to run such a crucial game. Cawdor has the experience needed for this contest... it could set hardy back big time if he started and had a poor one.

On the other hand - if he is a really cocky SOB like the young Gareth Edwards (capped at 19), then maybe it would work... those who know him well can judge if it's really an option.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Can't argue with the result, but our performance was not exactly inspiring. Some of the handling errors in the first half were really disappointing, as was our lineout! Again! Angry

With our line out I sometimes think that we make it too complicated. First half, we tried a peel around the front in the corner by the gig screen, We won the line out but somehow managed to lose the ball on the peel. Other side of the pitch, we tried a complicated move and Cawdor's pass hit someone on his backside !

We were able to drive them backwards, so why not catch and take, set the maul and drive. carry on driving until we win a penalty, or the ref tells us to use it.

Second half. At one scrum we had them on wheels, they started to disintegrate and we let the ball out before the ref had called a penalty. From the following move, Parkes(?) passed straight to their winger who nearly ran the length of the field, but J Mc managed to charge down the attempted cross field kick. So from a scrum going forward at a rate of knots in their 22, we ended up defending a line out in our 22.

Can we please keep it a little more simple please, and do the basics well. Perhaps if we concentrated on winning the line out and stopped thinking about the following move our line out will improve.

Can't argue with those points, except - maybe - the Cawdor one... wasn't that the time he threw a pass that hit a Zebre player in an offside position? OK, he was deliberately trying to 'buy' a penalty, but the ref ignored the lazy runner - I really don't know how the laws go on this sort of thing, but often refs DO give the penalty, even if they're soft ones. (If you are referring to something else, then ignore this comment!)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 11:15am
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Cawdor and Dan were very ponderous anD didn’t keep the Zebre backrow honest by upping the tempo.
Hardy and Patchell made a huge difference when they can on, they took the game to the gain line and Zebre couldn’t handle it.

I think this is a bug in Cawdor's game that naturally puts our 10 under pressure. 

He has electric pace and gets in the oppo 10s face in defence, but he is often slow to get to rucks and get the ball out quickly.

I think this could go someway to explain why by the time we get it out wide, we're often under pressure and have to force a pass.

After Hardy's impact yesterday I'd like to see him start against the Dragons with Davies and Patch coming off the bench. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Can't argue with the result, but our performance was not exactly inspiring. Some of the handling errors in the first half were really disappointing, as was our lineout! Again! Angry

With our line out I sometimes think that we make it too complicated. First half, we tried a peel around the front in the corner by the gig screen, We won the line out but somehow managed to lose the ball on the peel. Other side of the pitch, we tried a complicated move and Cawdor's pass hit someone on his backside !

We were able to drive them backwards, so why not catch and take, set the maul and drive. carry on driving until we win a penalty, or the ref tells us to use it.

Second half. At one scrum we had them on wheels, they started to disintegrate and we let the ball out before the ref had called a penalty. From the following move, Parkes(?) passed straight to their winger who nearly ran the length of the field, but J Mc managed to charge down the attempted cross field kick. So from a scrum going forward at a rate of knots in their 22, we ended up defending a line out in our 22.

Can we please keep it a little more simple please, and do the basics well. Perhaps if we concentrated on winning the line out and stopped thinking about the following move our line out will improve.

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 9:32am
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 7:36am
Boyde won't be without a side. It will be Exeter or sarries. Shows the high regard in which he is held. If only brad could see this
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2019 at 10:30pm
Phase 1 completed and achieved, 5 points and a +42 points differential. Not a great performance, too many simple handling errors cost us, and have done all season long. Foxy was poor, taking numerous wrong options in attack and even gave away 2 interceptions when trying to force the game. Cawdor and Dan were very ponderous anD didn’t keep the Zebre backrow honest by upping the tempo.
It was great as usual to see the presentations for those leaving us. It’s still strange to think that Boyde and Bullbring are without clubs for next season. I can’t remember an occasion when we announce a player is leaving without announcing where they are going to.
Thank you and pop lwc to everyone of our leavers, you have all represented the club that I love and have achieved something that most of us fans could only dream of, wearing the Scarlets shirt with pride.
Scarletstarch View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletstarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2019 at 9:28pm
Well done Scarlets, wishing everyone leaving our Scarlets' family all the very best for the future! I was doubly gutted as I wasn't at PYS to see the win and give everyone a send off as my Daughter is in the Royal Glamorgan Hospital after an operation and I needed to see her to put my mind at rest she is okay! As well as missing the game I was phoned to ask if I was in the stadium as I had won a jersey signed by the players and Hadleigh would be making the presentation, but my good friend met Hadleigh to receive the jersey on my behalf and had her photo taken and a kiss off him, to put it bluntly I'm gutted!! UnhappyWinkBroken Heart
"YMA O HYD"
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2019 at 8:50pm
Two weeks to prepare, no jaunts to Dubai and no weddings (unless absolutely necessary) 😋
Keep the faith
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2019 at 8:39pm
Needing the bonus point played in to their hands as they knew we wouldn't be going for goal

Against the Dragons we need to kick all penalties and build a win to knock the stuffing out them and then go for bonus point by the last quarter.
onlyturkinthevillage View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onlyturkinthevillage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2019 at 7:52pm
Great result, zebre will be up for their derby vs Benetton, thought our forwards really stepped up today- every one of them. Points difference has really helped us today too.
Nice way to finish off a “different “ season at home with a big win. Same again for judgement day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic