Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Rugby World Cup 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RWC Thoughts on Pool Winners/Qualifiers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RWC Thoughts on Pool Winners/Qualifiers
    Posted: 05 August 2019 at 10:06am
So we're under 7 weeks from the start of the 2019 Rugby World Cup, seems to have come round very quickly!! The pools are, in case anyone has forgotten:

Pool A: Ireland, Scotland, Japan, Russia & Samoa
Pool B: New Zealand, South Africa, Italy, Namibia & Canada
Pool C: England, France, Argentina, USA & Tonga
Pool D: Australia, Wales, Georgia, Fiji & Uruguay

Who do people think will qualify? Any major shocks?

For me, Pool A is straightforward, there is a chance that Japan could surprise the Scots but I think Ireland & Scotland will still qualify.
Pool B, 12 months ago I would have said that there may be a realistic chance that Italy could turn South Africa over but I can't see it. I think South Africa are hitting form at the right time & they will qualify with New Zealand, the only thing will be who wins the group as there is little between them.
Pool C, any of the top three could qualify & they could easily take one win off each other. I think it will be England & Argentina to go through but we all know it depends whether France turn up.
Pool D, Us & the Aussies, I can't see Gatland allowing us to lose focus against Fiji. 50/50 on the pool winner though.
Sponsored Links

Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 12:24pm

Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 12:28pm
I saw the above predictions on Reddit earlier. A tidy flow chart to see the groups and finals slots. If you really want to fill your own in you can get on that website. 

Agree with most of it apart from group C where for the taking for all 3 teams.  
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

I saw the above predictions on Reddit earlier. A tidy flow chart to see the groups and finals slots. If you really want to fill your own in you can get on that website. 

Agree with most of it apart from group C where for the taking for all 3 teams.  

I agree, I think each of the big 3 in that group could beat each other & it could well come down to BP's against each other,.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 2:42pm
My Quarter Finalists:
Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand, South Africa, England, France, Wales, Australia.

Semi Finalists:
New, Zealand, South Africa, Wales, Australia

Finalists:
New Zealand v Wales

Winners:
New Zealand.

Argentina could very well trump France though.

Edited by PE SA - 05 August 2019 at 2:43pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 2:55pm
This is one of the toughest winners to predict. NZ are no longer the overwhelmingly best team in the World. The most improved team over the past 6 months or so is South Africa. For me any one of NZ, S.Africa, England, Ireland or Wales could win it. An exciting tournament awaits.
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 7:02pm
Cymru really needs to keep its feet firmly on the ground going in to this tournament. 

These warm up games will provide a barometer of where we are.
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 7:16pm
Georgia in the early stages will be tough as England’ found out on their training sessions more dangerous than any of the Pacific island teams
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

Georgia in the early stages will be tough as England’ found out on their training sessions more dangerous than any of the Pacific island teams

This. We really, really do not play well when favourites.

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 8:24pm

from what i have seen this current  fiji side are far better than georgia. Wales should aim for for the semis that is a good acheivement

Edited by RR1972 - 05 August 2019 at 8:26pm
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2019 at 3:07am
got real bad feeling for warm up games think we will lose some key players that will affect our chances as 4 years ago. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2019 at 8:53am
The only reason we play 4 is to make up for the loss of income on the AI's. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2019 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

got real bad feeling for warm up games think we will lose some key players that will affect our chances as 4 years ago. 

Mystic Meg strikes again?LOL
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2019 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

This. We really, really do not play well when favourites.

... except in the last season!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2019 at 1:16pm
FWIW, I'm not getting carried away - but Wales are well organised, well settled, and have cover in most areas.

Seriously - I'll be shocked if we don't make the semis, and disappointed if we're not finalists. NZ still the team to beat, as always, but not in the best of shape recently.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2019 at 8:14am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

FWIW, I'm not getting carried away - but Wales are well organised, well settled, and have cover in most areas.

Seriously - I'll be shocked if we don't make the semis, and disappointed if we're not finalists. NZ still the team to beat, as always, but not in the best of shape recently.

Thats a fair reflection Aber. Gatland has not always been my cup of tea but one thing you cannot take from him is his ability to get a team ready for tournament games. The Australia game of course is pivotal and they are not the force they once were. NZ also seem to have come back to the pack & the potential loss of Retallick could be a game changer. Pocock for Australia and Retalick for NZ would be huge losses if they don't come through, tantamount really to Wales without AWJ. 

There are many talking points ahead of this tournament - does Eddie really now what he is doing with selection? Have Ireland peaked too soon? How improved are South Africa? Does Gatland really have such a selection dilemma in the back row with Faletau out, Jenkins unlikely & Navidi/Shingler not deemed match ready? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic