Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aviron Bayonnais v Scarlets match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2019 at 1:02am
Hardy struggling slightly but still a huge potential not to worried about that. Can’t wait to see Sanjay back in scarlet huge man crush LOL
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2019 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

it was Chris laidlaw. Gareth rightly worked all summer on his spin passes and the rest as we say is history.   The greatest scrum half of all time - however not such a good clubman as he would only play approx 12 matches a season , whereas selwyn would easily play 40 Matches 

Indeed - I made a mistake there - several Laidlaws have played top class rugby, I saw that it was 'Chris' after checking on Wikipedia, and then for some reason by the time I got to type the name I reverted wrongly to 'Roy', who was also a scrum half and uncle to another Scotland 9, Greig Laidlaw - must be something to do with the name!

You are also right to mention Gareth's tendency to pick and choose his Cardiff appearances, though of course it was an amateur game in those days, at least officially... presumably, if there was indeed any 'boot money' involved, players who didn't turn out weren't going to get any. Keeping fresh for the big games certainly paid off - he won his 53 caps in successive tests from 1967-78, a remarkable feat.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2019 at 3:25pm
lol 😂.  Gareth was an enigma and THE big match player. I. Fairness the world stage was his forte.   We’ll never see his like again 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2019 at 8:47pm
Back to Bayonne, much has been said about just what a fantastic place it is; how lovely the people were; what a great atmosphere there was at this proper club with deep roots and traditions.

In Biarritz’s absence, Aviron Bayonnais are the most westerly club in the Top14 and would clearly support our slogan of “West is Best”.

From what we saw, there are a few things that we could borrow from them to improve our Parc y Scarlets matchday experience.

Their club hymn is such a lovely song. Great tune and super lyrics. It’s so easy for everyone to join in and it’s been the nicest ear worm I can recall.

The tune and words could be easily adapted to other lyrics. All it needs is someone, with the talent, to put a bit of time in. The “Allez, Allez” could easily be a player’s name. For example, our stand-invading, fan-hugging, Man of the Match from that game would fit. Many others would too.

Our songs are inspiring in so many ways, yet for visitors, they can be a tough challenge if they’d like to join in. That may be fine for us. If so, what’s not to like about having something that everyone can join in?

The mascot Pottoka is the Rolls Royce of rugby mascots, IMO. 

S/He’s such a range of skills. Whether it’s getting the crowd going. Having a huge sense of humour and self-confidence, he engages not just the crowd but individual people within it. The energy put into the role is superb. Can anyone come up with a more appealing mascot?

The posh seats outside the hospitality boxes were Veuve Cliquot mustardy yellow. They were comfortable, too. Only when the match finished, did we find out that they were seat covers. Great idea.

We met the president - very nice guy - and Pepito Elhorga, the former French international. He played for both Basque clubs and Agen. While at Agen, he played against us.

He, his friends, and the other folk we met there were lovely folk. All very friendly and very complimentary to us in defeat. The evening ended with a comical note, as a retired second two forward had to leave the lift so it could work. His wife and/or mother(-in-law) pointed out hop that he was the one over,oading the lift.

All FWIW
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Back to Bayonne, much has been said about just what a fantastic place it is; how lovely the people were; what a great atmosphere there was at this proper club with deep roots and traditions.

In Biarritz’s absence, Aviron Bayonnais are the most westerly club in the Top14 and would clearly support our slogan of “West is Best”.

From what we saw, there are a few things that we could borrow from them to improve our Parc y Scarlets matchday experience.

Their club hymn is such a lovely song. Great tune and super lyrics. It’s so easy for everyone to join in and it’s been the nicest ear worm I can recall.

The tune and words could be easily adapted to other lyrics. All it needs is someone, with the talent, to put a bit of time in. The “Allez, Allez” could easily be a player’s name. For example, our stand-invading, fan-hugging, Man of the Match from that game would fit. Many others would too.

Our songs are inspiring in so many ways, yet for visitors, they can be a tough challenge if they’d like to join in. That may be fine for us. If so, what’s not to like about having something that everyone can join in?

S/He’s such a range of skills. Whether it’s getting the crowd going. Having a huge sense of humour and self-confidence, he engages not just the crowd but individual people within it. The energy put into the role is superb. Can anyone come up with a more appealing mascot?

The posh seats outside the hospitality boxes were Veuve Cliquot mustardy yellow. They were comfortable, too. Only when the match finished, did we find out that they were seat covers. Great idea.

We met the president - very nice guy - and Pepito Elhorga, the former French international. He played for both Basque clubs and Agen. While at Agen, he played against us.

He, his friends, and the other folk we met there were lovely folk. All very friendly and very complimentary to us in defeat. The evening ended with a comical note, as a retired second two forward had to leave the lift so it could work. His wife and/or mother(-in-law) pointed out hop that he was the one over,oading the lift.

All FWIW

Our fans were also invited to a bar run by one of their supporters clubs after the match. I've now acquired a beret I don't knowhow to wear!!! 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2019 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

All FWIW

Our fans were also invited to a bar run by one of their supporters clubs after the match. I've now acquired a beret I don't knowhow to wear!!! 
Try putting it on a wall, with the aid of a picture hook or similar.

For some of us, me included, it’s by far the best solution 🙄

Edited by Eastern outpost - 09 December 2019 at 9:18pm
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2019 at 9:24pm
Some lovely person has put the full match up on you tube if you missed it.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2019 at 9:49pm

All FWIW

Try putting it on a wall, with the aid of a picture hook or similar.

For some of us, me included, it’s by far the best solution 🙄

Might help with onion sales in the spring!!! 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 6:43pm
[QUOTE=

Is that "Stand up for the Ulster men"? I'm sure I heard them sing that!

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 6:44pm

[/QUOTE]

Hint: I'd try putting it on my head, if I was you!
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

[QUOTE=

If you search for La Peña Baiona, you’ll find it.

Can’t say SUFTUM registered with me on Saturday. Maybe my filters were on top form.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 5:07pm

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

[QUOTE=

If you search for La Peña Baiona, you’ll find it.

Can’t say SUFTUM registered with me on Saturday. Maybe my filters were on top form.

They definitely sang the tune, though no idea what words they used - or on second thoughts, maybe it was one of the tunes played by the band with no song 'attached' - not sure, now.

Edited by aber-fan - 11 December 2019 at 5:08pm
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX9blaGjwd0
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2019 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX9blaGjwd0

I think it's what you call a great win, but not a great performance!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic