Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Delaney replacing Mooar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 9:28am
Could they go for someone from the feeder clubs like Emyr Philips lHead Coach at the Drovers ike Dai Flanagan did with the RFC? Or a Paul Fisher at the RFC who has had a heck of a difficult job in last 3 years or so juggling with a squad that is constantly changing for matches?
Sponsored Links

Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 9:37am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Could they go for someone from the feeder clubs like Emyr Philips lHead Coach at the Drovers ike Dai Flanagan did with the RFC? Or a Paul Fisher at the RFC who has had a heck of a difficult job in last 3 years or so juggling with a squad that is constantly changing for matches?

Before I saw your post I was thinking Emyr would probably be a great coach.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 9:49am
Glenn is clearly very well thought of and highly regarded - which instills a lot of confidence.  The key is now to get a replacement for his current post that compliments our style of play and the ethos of the coaching team.  The board have done exceptionally well to get the current coaching team and to retain players and bringing in class - let’s hope this continues 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 10:04am

We  (as in the whole of welsh rugby) need to get more welsh coaches involved in the regional set up.

The likes of peel and mcbryde seem to be doing very well in Ireland and should be welcomed back into the welsh game if possible

I was unconvinced about mcbryde but gatland rates him highly and he is doing a v god job at leinster, could be  a good appointment for us if he wants a return home. If not then yes 100% behind emyr as an appointment

N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 10:39am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Nothing wrong with the guys mentioned but I do feel we need to be aiming a little bit higher imo. Delaney could do with an assistant who has experience of coaching at the top level, even if they don't have masses of experience in a head coach capacity.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

We  (as in the whole of welsh rugby) need to get more welsh coaches involved in the regional set up.

The likes of peel and mcbryde seem to be doing very well in Ireland and should be welcomed back into the welsh game if possible

I was unconvinced about mcbryde but gatland rates him highly and he is doing a v god job at leinster, could be  a good appointment for us if he wants a return home. If not then yes 100% behind emyr as an appointment

I agree with you but I am afraid there is a load of tribalism in Welsh rugby with very pre-concieved immovable opinions. My suggestion a few months back that Tandy would be worth considering as defence coach if Delaney got the top gig was met with derision. From the improvement in the way the Scots defended against Ireland he may well have been worth a shout. I have said it before & I'll say it again Welsh coaches like Young, Turner, Griffiths, McBryde, Tandy, Peel, Lyn Jones & Phil Davies are surely worth considering against the likes of Mulvihill, Clarke & Jackman. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 11:32am
Very sensible decision &as has been commented above, it's good to see that the standard process was followed & not just a case of giving it to Glenn.
TurkQuay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkQuay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

I guessed this would probably be the case, but it's good to know that a thorough process was still followed to make doubly sure that he was the best option and that there wasn't anyone else available who would potentially be better suited. As mentioned above he has head coach experience. Not as experienced as Brad by the sounds of it (though my knowledge of him isn't fantastic so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken there), but the fact that Brad chose to bring him in shows that Brad values him which is a good sign given Brad's pedigree. Should be good for continuity of what has been built this season. Good luck Delaney!
He’s a lot more experienced than Brad as a head coach and in terms of northern hemisphere rugby.

Is he any good as a Head Coach at this level ?.

Was Delaney the Head Coach, and then the Head of Rugby Operations, at London Irish when they were relegated twice ?.

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by TurkQuay TurkQuay wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

I guessed this would probably be the case, but it's good to know that a thorough process was still followed to make doubly sure that he was the best option and that there wasn't anyone else available who would potentially be better suited. As mentioned above he has head coach experience. Not as experienced as Brad by the sounds of it (though my knowledge of him isn't fantastic so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken there), but the fact that Brad chose to bring him in shows that Brad values him which is a good sign given Brad's pedigree. Should be good for continuity of what has been built this season. Good luck Delaney!
He’s a lot more experienced than Brad as a head coach and in terms of northern hemisphere rugby.

Is he any good as a Head Coach at this level ?.

Was Delaney the Head Coach, and then the Head of Rugby Operations, at London Irish when they were relegated twice ?.

The Irish have struggled for many years. He’s a coach not a miracle worker 😂
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I agree with you but I am afraid there is a load of tribalism in Welsh rugby with very pre-concieved immovable opinions. My suggestion a few months back that Tandy would be worth considering as defence coach if Delaney got the top gig was met with derision. From the improvement in the way the Scots defended against Ireland he may well have been worth a shout. I have said it before & I'll say it again Welsh coaches like Young, Turner, Griffiths, McBryde, Tandy, Peel, Lyn Jones & Phil Davies are surely worth considering against the likes of Mulvihill, Clarke & Jackman. 

I agree, and patience is required too, look how poor wasps have been yet they've stuck with Young.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 1:27pm
Delaney.
Proper Turk name.

Start Monday.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 1:51pm
He's been there for a few months, and is apparently well thought of by the players and management - so no reason why it will not work out.

Good luck, Glenn!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I would be surprised if any region would say no to McBryde as a forwards coach - remember that he has had zero experience of regional/club rugby though. But after coaching Wales for 12 years I think he may have fancied a change of scene.
Lyn jones, Phil Davies haven't done anything of note for a LONG time, not even been in the pro game- Griffiths even been out of the loop - Ruddock been out of the pro game but now at the ospreys - anyone know if he has made any difference??
Did these coaches even want these roles?

The only thing I am against is giving someone the job just because they are Welsh. 
We want to be challenging for silverwear consistently. for that, the job has to go to the coach who is best suited. With Jackman, I have no idea what WRU/Dragons were thinking. All coaches you mention wouldn't have done any worse. Allen Clarke I personally thought was a very decent appointment for Ospreys. He was a very good forwards coach with Ulster. For whatever reason, it didn't work.

We are doing more than our share of coaching development. Richard Kelly, Dai Flanagan, Emyr Phillips, Ioan Cunningham to name a few. Some will work some wont. We must know when to say its not working. 
Even Pivac appointed Stevo and Hayward - who he has also taken with him to Team Wales - as well as Humphreys and Warburton.

For us, defence coach - I wonder if we would be prepared to give John Barclay the nod. He did an awful lot during his time here on and off the pitch and his loss is the major factor in us being bossed at breakdown last season IMO. He would add a lot IMO - natural fit to the system, knows the team and culture and way we want to play, has gained experience in Scotland as a coach.

Mark Jones exploring his coaching, admits he should have gone elsewhere to learn before taking on the Scarlets coaching role he had. He has learned in RGC, now with the Canterbury and Crusaders, will he be a success in Defence? it will be very interesting. if he can prove him self as a defence coach there, whos to say he cant do the job for us. He was far from the best backs coach for us, but as a defence coach he may work.
Likewise Dwayne Peel. If he is prepared to leave Ulster to come home, can he do defence? We have Flanagan and Whiffin doing attack - something Peel is doing well at Ulster. Reports suggest he was in for the Scarlets top job. Is he interested in being assistant with a view to top job after Delaneys days? Reports suggest he is in for the Ospreys role as well - but Ospreys have been linked with so many players and coaches past few weeks, it seems they are chucking names in the air hoping to catch one.  

Be interesting to see who we target, but we need to target the best coach for the job.

diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 3:51pm
I like the idea of Barclay but think he might fancy a season more as a player. My shout would be Warbs, I believe he is currently doing his badges and he could do it and still have input with Wales. Maybe bring Emyr in with him job share and have Emyr look after the A side at the same time?

This may be pure fantasy as well but could it be Mark Jones' involvement with the Crusaders is a development thing, something to do with releasing Mooar and we might get him back at some point. Pure speculation on my part.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

I like the idea of Barclay but think he might fancy a season more as a player. My shout would be Warbs, I believe he is currently doing his badges and he could do it and still have input with Wales. Maybe bring Emyr in with him job share and have Emyr look after the A side at the same time?

This may be pure fantasy as well but could it be Mark Jones' involvement with the Crusaders is a development thing, something to do with releasing Mooar and we might get him back at some point. Pure speculation on my part.
Doubtful. Mark Jones has nothing to do with the Scarlets.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 4:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic