Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Delaney replacing Mooar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 5:25pm
I read that there was global interest in the Scarlets job. Would be interesting to know who applied as this would be a good indicator on how we are seen, perceived and respected by others around the rugby world. Highly unlikely we’ll ever find out though, but would be nice. 
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
Sponsored Links

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 5:41pm
Well done the board again good timing players now know who will be in charge settled coaching staff will help to resign players and sign new players in. We really are turning into the model of how a region should be run. Long may it continue. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 6:49pm
[/QUOTE]
I would be surprised if any region would say no to McBryde as a forwards coach - remember that he has had zero experience of regional/club rugby though. But after coaching Wales for 12 years I think he may have fancied a change of scene.
Lyn jones, Phil Davies haven't done anything of note for a LONG time, not even been in the pro game- Griffiths even been out of the loop - Ruddock been out of the pro game but now at the ospreys - anyone know if he has made any difference??
Did these coaches even want these roles?

The only thing I am against is giving someone the job just because they are Welsh
We want to be challenging for silverwear consistently. for that, the job has to go to the coach who is best suited. With Jackman, I have no idea what WRU/Dragons were thinking. All coaches you mention wouldn't have done any worse. Allen Clarke I personally thought was a very decent appointment for Ospreys. He was a very good forwards coach with Ulster. For whatever reason, it didn't work.

We are doing more than our share of coaching development. Richard Kelly, Dai Flanagan, Emyr Phillips, Ioan Cunningham to name a few. Some will work some wont. We must know when to say its not working. 
Even Pivac appointed Stevo and Hayward - who he has also taken with him to Team Wales - as well as Humphreys and Warburton.

For us, defence coach - I wonder if we would be prepared to give John Barclay the nod. He did an awful lot during his time here on and off the pitch and his loss is the major factor in us being bossed at breakdown last season IMO. He would add a lot IMO - natural fit to the system, knows the team and culture and way we want to play, has gained experience in Scotland as a coach.

Mark Jones exploring his coaching, admits he should have gone elsewhere to learn before taking on the Scarlets coaching role he had. He has learned in RGC, now with the Canterbury and Crusaders, will he be a success in Defence? it will be very interesting. if he can prove him self as a defence coach there, whos to say he cant do the job for us. He was far from the best backs coach for us, but as a defence coach he may work.
Likewise Dwayne Peel. If he is prepared to leave Ulster to come home, can he do defence? We have Flanagan and Whiffin doing attack - something Peel is doing well at Ulster. Reports suggest he was in for the Scarlets top job. Is he interested in being assistant with a view to top job after Delaneys days? Reports suggest he is in for the Ospreys role as well - but Ospreys have been linked with so many players and coaches past few weeks, it seems they are chucking names in the air hoping to catch one.  

Be interesting to see who we target, but we need to target the best coach for the job.

[/QUOTE]

This. So important we never fall into that trap. Same goes for the Welsh job. Would I love to have a Welshman as head coach of the Welsh national team? Yes I would. But they would have to be the best man for the job. Otherwise we're better off looking elsewhere. Whether it's at Scarlets or Wales the best man should always get the job. If it's a Welshman then fantastic! But if it's not it's not.
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 7:45pm
I was hoping that Glenn would get the nod when we first found out that Brad was leaving us. He's an excellent coach, has huge experience, and is the perfect candidate going forward. ClapClapClap

Now, defence coach, any chance we can pinch Shaun Edwards from France on a 5 year deal? ShockedStarBig smile
Scarlets!!!
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

I was hoping that Glenn would get the nod when we first found out that Brad was leaving us. He's an excellent coach, has huge experience, and is the perfect candidate going forward. ClapClapClap

Now, defence coach, any chance we can pinch Shaun Edwards from France on a 5 year deal? ShockedStarBig smile

I was thinking of saying that too. Edwards left Wales because they offered 2 years but France gave a 4 year contract. 5 should seal the deal for us.
Scarlets before Wales
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2020 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

We  (as in the whole of welsh rugby) need to get more welsh coaches involved in the regional set up.

The likes of peel and mcbryde seem to be doing very well in Ireland and should be welcomed back into the welsh game if possible

I was unconvinced about mcbryde but gatland rates him highly and he is doing a v god job at leinster, could be  a good appointment for us if he wants a return home. If not then yes 100% behind emyr as an appointment

Don't agree entirely. We(Scarlets) need to employ the best possible coaches available.
Our developmental responsibility is for players. I'm sure a side effect will be that some ex-players will make great coaches
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2020 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

I read that there was global interest in the Scarlets job. Would be interesting to know who applied as this would be a good indicator on how we are seen, perceived and respected by others around the rugby world. Highly unlikely we’ll ever find out though, but would be nice. 
That info will never be officially shared, as many applicants won't have told their current employers
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2020 at 5:17pm
Talking of Emyr in isolation, and I have done it as well, is probably not quite fair on his fellow coaches at the Quins. They have a young group there who must all be contributing to the effective, successful and good to watch rugby that the team are playing. As a region, if we dont have a responsibility to develop coaches officially in our mission statement, then we should have. Without good coaching we will never develop players. The piece in Wol on Wyn proves that. Without the detailed help he received from those around him, he might never have made it.
cymraes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2020 at 6:20pm
Isn't Aled Thomas part of the Quins coaching group?
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2020 at 7:11pm

Emyr Phillips his a Scarlets forwards coach in the making, the Quins pack are a well drilled machine and there driving maul is outstanding .

Aled Thomas plays for Aberavon this season,not sure if he his involved in there coaching set up .
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 7:38am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Emyr Phillips his a Scarlets forwards coach in the making, the Quins pack are a well drilled machine and there driving maul is outstanding .

Aled Thomas plays for Aberavon this season,not sure if he his involved in there coaching set up .

That is great to here about Emyr. He always came over as a thinking player and is very well thought of. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2020 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

That is great to here about Emyr. He always came over as a thinking player and is very well thought of. 
not 100% sure if he is still doing it but he is on the coaching team at Scarlets. He came on board as development skills coach.

I would love to see him have a crack at the pack as he always galvanised the pack when playing and as stated, the quins pack are a pack of forwards not 8 individuals. If we can get someone with top quality experience to work with him to learn all the better.  
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 9:06pm
The positivity oozing out of this thread.....
Myself included 🙈🙈🙈
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic