Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 255256257258259 305>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Although there are obviously going to be individual call outs, Wales sits 3rd in the world ( behind Israel and the UAE) in terms of % of the population vaccinated.

Also good to see admissions at all time low last week, case levels and infection rates at their lowest today ( 48 and 1.25% respectively) and our fatality numbers now averaging about 2-3 a day.

that is impressive stuff Clap
Sponsored Links

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 5:31pm

Although there are obviously going to be individual call outs, Wales sits 3rd in the world ( behind Israel and the UAE) in terms of % of the population vaccinated.

Also good to see admissions at all time low last week, case levels and infection rates at their lowest today ( 48 and 1.25% respectively) and our fatality numbers now averaging about 2-3 a day.

3rd in the world is simply awesome, Cymru am byth ClapClapClapClapClap
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 1:18pm

I genuinely can’t see how to untangle the travel web for any tourism this Summer.

If, as predicted and we seem in course to attain, the case levels/hospitalisation.fatality rate continue on the current trajectory it builds the clamour to get on the plane to somewhere sunny.

However when you look at the likely destinations, i.e. those that might have things under some degree of control ( and are willing to accept visitors of course) they are pretty limited.

It’s hard to imagine, that after what has actually been the longest and most restrictive lockdown anywhere in this pandemic, that the government would just throw all that away.

I’d advocate the other way of thinking...expand the red list to include countries that should rightfully be there, none of the top 4 countries with the highest case rates are currently on the red list, and accounted for over half the cases recorded yesterday ( India, USA, Turkey and France).

I’m a stay tough sort of guy. Easy to say I know.

250,000 cases in India yesterday. Also a ‘strain of interest’.

Red list?

Nah....

Shame really...I applauded the ( late) but tight red list regulation...however it shows how that I am twp in thinking it couldn’t include ‘ friendly’ countries.

Edited by Wil Chips - 18 April 2021 at 2:03pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 1:54pm
The countries with the worst spread now all seem to be those with the lowest jabs per head
Bangladesh, Pakistan, a africa, India,indonesia, russia ,mexico, brazil..Followed by Turkey romania france italy germany also only around 25 per 100 had 1 vaccine.worldwide daily jabs are up to around 17 million a day now, 500 million a month, 6 billion a year
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 2:11pm

I genuinely can’t see how to untangle the travel web for any tourism this Summer.

If, as predicted and we seem in course to attain, the case levels/hospitalisation.fatality rate continue on the current trajectory it builds the clamour to get on the plane to somewhere sunny.

However when you look at the likely destinations, i.e. those that might have things under some degree of control ( and are willing to accept visitors of course) they are pretty limited.

It’s hard to imagine, that after what has actually been the longest and most restrictive lockdown anywhere in this pandemic, that the government would just throw all that away.

I’d advocate the other way of thinking...expand the red list to include countries that should rightfully be there, none of the top 4 countries with the highest case rates are currently on the red list, and accounted for over half the cases recorded yesterday ( India, USA, Turkey and France).

I’m a stay tough sort of guy. Easy to say I know.

250,000 cases in India yesterday. Also a ‘strain of interest’.

Red list?

Nah....

Shame really...I applauded the ( late) but tight red list regulation...however it shows how that I am twp in thinking it couldn’t include ‘ friendly’ countries.
Boris is due to visit India at the end of the month to negotiate a new tread deal. Could be a complete coincidence of course...
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 2:25pm
Or that India produces over half the world’s vaccines perhaps.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

The countries with the worst spread now all seem to be those with the lowest jabs per head
Bangladesh, Pakistan, a africa, India,indonesia, russia ,mexico, brazil..Followed by Turkey romania france italy germany also only around 25 per 100 had 1 vaccine.worldwide daily jabs are up to around 17 million a day now, 500 million a month, 6 billion a year
Considering that there’s talk that people in the UK could require an autumn booster shot 2-3 billion people being vaccinated in a year doesn’t sound as promising as it still leaves a lot of chance for the virus to spread and mutate. It makes the refusal of the US, UK, and EU to support waiving the patents on the vaccines until supply can catch up with demand even more ridiculous. It increases the risk of another lockdown and serves no one’s interest except the pharmaceutical giants.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 2:48pm
Anyone contemplating going on holiday this year is hugely irresponsible. Holidays abroad should be banned to all countries. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Considering that there’s talk that people in the UK could require an autumn booster shot 2-3 billion people being vaccinated in a year doesn’t sound as promising as it still leaves a lot of chance for the virus to spread and mutate. It makes the refusal of the US, UK, and EU to support waiving the patents on the vaccines until supply can catch up with demand even more ridiculous. It increases the risk of another lockdown and serves no one’s interest except the pharmaceutical giants.

Good points though theyre currently heading for 6 billion jabs a year, which covers the approx 5.2 billion adults for 1 jab.. But of course everyone will need 2 plus possibly the booster as you say. The point about patent waiving is a great one and should be headline news....Such a move could save tens of thousands of lives
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Anyone contemplating going on holiday this year is hugely irresponsible. Holidays abroad should be banned to all countries. 

Totally agree, these people should grow up. Weve got endless attractions at home just enjoy those till the covid clears , possibly by next summer

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2021 at 6:02am
Despite the UK making very tangible progress, the reality is the global case levels are reaching new peaks on a daily basis. Driven by India which is now at 300,000 cases a day of late. Alongside the US, France, Turkey and Brazil, between them they account for 2/3rds of global cases.

Countries in the Pacific rim, specifically Thailand and Cambodia, who have been pretty much ‘ business as usual’ throughout the pandemic, are now also seeing record cases. Cambodia has just gone on to a full lockdown. It’s always intrigued me why that corner of South East Asia ( include Vietnam) were able to ride out the pandemic until now. Seems there’s no win to finding that out any more.

With mainland Europe generally failing in trying to balance lockdown v economy this year, and having to go back in to lockdown, the fatality rates of many countries have gone past that of the UK, and many others will do so in the next couple of weeks. Italy, Poland, many of the Baltic states, Mediterranean rim are now beyond the UK rate. As well as a few South American countries.

I’m not endorsing the overall Uk governance whatsoever, there was shockingly poor and confused thinking in 2020.I do recognise that in 2021 we have evolved a better approach though.

Still waiting proof positive that our vaccine roll out will underpin low hospitalisation and fatality rates when the inevitable next case surge arrives.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2021 at 7:40am

Despite the UK making very tangible progress, the reality is the global case levels are reaching new peaks on a daily basis. Driven by India which is now at 300,000 cases a day of late. Alongside the US, France, Turkey and Brazil, between them they account for 2/3rds of global cases.

Countries in the Pacific rim, specifically Thailand and Cambodia, who have been pretty much ‘ business as usual’ throughout the pandemic, are now also seeing record cases. Cambodia has just gone on to a full lockdown. It’s always intrigued me why that corner of South East Asia ( include Vietnam) were able to ride out the pandemic until now. Seems there’s no win to finding that out any more.

With mainland Europe generally failing in trying to balance lockdown v economy this year, and having to go back in to lockdown, the fatality rates of many countries have gone past that of the UK, and many others will do so in the next couple of weeks. Italy, Poland, many of the Baltic states, Mediterranean rim are now beyond the UK rate. As well as a few South American countries.

I’m not endorsing the overall Uk governance whatsoever, there was shockingly poor and confused thinking in 2020.I do recognise that in 2021 we have evolved a better approach though.

Still waiting proof positive that our vaccine roll out will underpin low hospitalisation and fatality rates when the inevitable next case surge arrives.

Thanks for that summary Wil. Mainland Europe is the one that stands out for me. As many are close neighbours we really need to look at the travel situation very closely. France with its anti vaccine large minority is particularly challenging. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2021 at 9:45am
And there will still be idiots adamant they want to go abroad this year on holiday. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2021 at 9:58am

And there will still be idiots adamant they want to go abroad this year on holiday. 

Costa del Tenby it is then. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2021 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Costa del Tenby it is then. 
beer has gone up in tenby and even more so saundersfoot,the chemist is £5-25 for take away pint.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2021 at 10:04am

One of the papers is leading with "Europe to welcome Brits" this summer. It's very clear this push between what is obviously best for containing the virus and economies. Places like Spain especially must fear almost total economic collapse without a decent number of tourists.

On a personal note, my parents live in France so it is approaching two years since I've seen them. It irritates me massively seeing those unwilling to make a small sacrifice of a skiing holiday, plus the lack of repercussions. As to this summer, we saw the emergence of a Spanish-origin strain post-summer 2020 where they even had their nightclubs open, if you can believe that. Vaccines will definitely make a difference but they won't eradicate it at all and we will see an Autumn/winter 2021 increase. I think this 21/22 is going to be the real test for how we live with Covid. Lockdown isn't a permanent solution and so I actually understand that we need to look at vaccine/aspects of social distancing (masks should be here for a long time IMO)/testing/and even quarantines. 

Vaccine efficacy will be a big part in what countries do and how quickly they can keep up with new strains. We'll know a lot more about both of these by the end of 2021.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 255256257258259 305>
  Share Topic