Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 256257258259260 305>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2021 at 10:07am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

And there will still be idiots adamant they want to go abroad this year on holiday. 

Costa del Tenby it is then. 
beer has gone up in tenby and even more so saundersfoot,the chemist is £5-25 for take away pint.

I moved back from Oxford to get away from these sort of prices. LOL

And do you mean £5 to £25??? Pint of vodka, maybe.
Sponsored Links

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2021 at 10:51am
The rise in Poland is alarming , as will says many european countries inc those on our doorstep france, Italy, spain isnt as rapid but rising too, germany , hungary, romania, followed by bulgaria, greece, slovakia, czech , croatia all rising...so its pretty widespread across the continent. Turkey too at over 60,000 new cases a day. Close the damn border.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2021 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

And there will still be idiots adamant they want to go abroad this year on holiday. 

One of the papers is leading with "Europe to welcome Brits" this summer. It's very clear this push between what is obviously best for containing the virus and economies. Places like Spain especially must fear almost total economic collapse without a decent number of tourists.

On a personal note, my parents live in France so it is approaching two years since I've seen them. It irritates me massively seeing those unwilling to make a small sacrifice of a skiing holiday, plus the lack of repercussions. As to this summer, we saw the emergence of a Spanish-origin strain post-summer 2020 where they even had their nightclubs open, if you can believe that. Vaccines will definitely make a difference but they won't eradicate it at all and we will see an Autumn/winter 2021 increase. I think this 21/22 is going to be the real test for how we live with Covid. Lockdown isn't a permanent solution and so I actually understand that we need to look at vaccine/aspects of social distancing (masks should be here for a long time IMO)/testing/and even quarantines. 

Vaccine efficacy will be a big part in what countries do and how quickly they can keep up with new strains. We'll know a lot more about both of these by the end of 2021.
Whereabouts in France, Doc?

Re SA14’s comment, there are idiots everywhere.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2021 at 7:45am
No doubt that we will come up with a green list of countries ( loosely based around low infections and high vaccination)....the first one is a highly unstable number, the 2nd depends on some sort of metric.

What’s key is how you get back in to the uk.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

[/QUOTE]

Small village nr Montelimar. They have a rugby team, watched a bit of their local derby a few years ago. Subs were all smoking away... very French.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2021 at 10:31am

Small village nr Montelimar. They have a rugby team, watched a bit of their local derby a few years ago. Subs were all smoking away... very French.
[/QUOTE]Lovely. Not been south of Lyon. In fact the closest I’ve got to Montelimar is as a choice in a chocolate box selection.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2021 at 11:03am

Lovely. Not been south of Lyon. In fact the closest I’ve got to Montelimar is as a choice in a chocolate box selection.[/QUOTE]

Nougat I'm guessing then. 

Guess I'll bring this back round to topic, France is pretty bad at the moment. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2021 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Despite the UK making very tangible progress, the reality is the global case levels are reaching new peaks on a daily basis. Driven by India which is now at 300,000 cases a day of late. Alongside the US, France, Turkey and Brazil, between them they account for 2/3rds of global cases.

Countries in the Pacific rim, specifically Thailand and Cambodia, who have been pretty much ‘ business as usual’ throughout the pandemic, are now also seeing record cases. Cambodia has just gone on to a full lockdown. It’s always intrigued me why that corner of South East Asia ( include Vietnam) were able to ride out the pandemic until now. Seems there’s no win to finding that out any more.

With mainland Europe generally failing in trying to balance lockdown v economy this year, and having to go back in to lockdown, the fatality rates of many countries have gone past that of the UK, and many others will do so in the next couple of weeks. Italy, Poland, many of the Baltic states, Mediterranean rim are now beyond the UK rate. As well as a few South American countries.

I’m not endorsing the overall Uk governance whatsoever, there was shockingly poor and confused thinking in 2020.I do recognise that in 2021 we have evolved a better approach though.

Still waiting proof positive that our vaccine roll out will underpin low hospitalisation and fatality rates when the inevitable next case surge arrives.

Fair comments.

I do think it's worth reminding people that the farce of PIP procurement, and 'test and trace', were run by private companies often with close links to either the Tory party or to individual ministers or ex-ministers.

The roll out of the vaccines has been run by the NHS and by local authorities (government gets some kudos for ordering lots of vaccine doses). Much more efficient. No coincidence.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2021 at 5:02pm

Lovely. Not been south of Lyon. In fact the closest I’ve got to Montelimar is as a choice in a chocolate box selection.

Nougat I'm guessing then. 

Guess I'll bring this back round to topic, France is pretty bad at the moment. 
[/QUOTE]

Montelimar-style nougat is an absolute treat. It isn't cheap - an artisanal maker came to sell her produce at our local (when in France) market, selling it by the slice off large 'cakes' of a number of different flavours. It was superb. Try some when you eventually get over there!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2021 at 11:36am
Had my vaccination in the Bay Field Hospital in Swansea and I must say an example of truly excellent organisation and efficiency.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 5:43pm
Small milestone in Wales today. Just 2 people on ventilators in the country. The lowest since the pandemic began.

I’m never comfortable quoting stats like this, but metrics like this have become the driver for evolving strategies to deal with this pandemic.

Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 6:19pm
This does not look good. So, so avoidable yet again if we’d only just closed the borders.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 6:38pm
Much too slow red listing India.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

This does not look good. So, so avoidable yet again if we’d only just closed the borders.

Watch cases rise again after people go swanning off abroad on holiday. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 11:01pm

They already are. Plus next monday you have pubs opening all over the UK ? Its all well and good regulating massive mutli million pound events like limited crowds at wembley, wimbledon , creamfields or glastonbury or the crucible theatre. Theres 100s of safety stewards paramedics lots fo police etc
But try some out of the way pub or heaven forbid night club, how on earth are they going tobe regulated?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

They already are. Plus next monday you have pubs opening all over the UK ? Its all well and good regulating massive mutli million pound events like limited crowds at wembley, wimbledon , creamfields or glastonbury or the crucible theatre. Theres 100s of safety stewards paramedics lots fo police etc
But try some out of the way pub or heaven forbid night club, how on earth are they going tobe regulated?
While each death is obviously a tragedy let’s remember that on average around 1500 people die each day in the UK, while over the last few weeks the average Covid deaths have been around single figures. We have to learn to live with Covid now the vaccines stop a lot of the spread and serious illness, and it should be left a lot more to individual judgement how much you want to engage in risky behaviour. What infuriates me however is that a lot of the ‘safety nets’ to reduce cases and variants withouts lockdowns are still not sorted after a year - such as proper isolation at the borders, a functioning tests and trace, and crucially proper financial support for those that need to isolate. That those aren’t sorted is the real problem here and what has allowed the new variants to spread, not the theoretical behaviour of (mostly young) people in pubs and nightclubs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 256257258259260 305>
  Share Topic