Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 267268269270271 305>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2021 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Had my vaccine yesterday at HQ in Twickers!

15,000 walk ins - was a really impressive set up.

Last time I was there was 2016 6N game... wouldn’t have guessed the next time I’d be back would be for mass vaccination event. 

Good to hear. As long as you don't start support those lot in white... 

He's half-way there. He already thinks we Cymry are too stupid to stupid to govern ourselves.

On the contrary, as of this weekend, Wales officially has the best vaccine rollout in the world. More examples like that from the devolved gov and I’m more than happy to support Independence. 

There's a world of difference between organising a mass vaccine programme & running your own economy & budget. Lots of support I have no doubt in Scotland & Wales for the theory of devolution but in practice I have severe doubts.

An honest & straightforward question - what would Wales & Scotland do in the event of a hostile act by a foreign power? 
Can I genuinely ask why? 
Do you think Scottish and Welsh people naturally aren’t as capable, is it a size issue, a lack of assets/resources or something else/a combination of these?
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2021 at 1:13pm

In Covid news, after handling the initial outbreak of pandemic exemplary, Taiwan has now had its first major outbreak in the last 2 weeks.

https://quillette.com/2021/06/01/taiwans-covid-response-what-went-wrong/

Part of me is curious as to why the countries that successfully perused a “run and hide” policy haven’t been doing a vaccine rollout at the same pace as us. (True also for Aus and NZ)

There’s an interesting dilemma for them in that they’ve turned down vaccines from China, because of China’s hostility to Taiwanese self government. 

The same complacency that saw countries perpetually applying the ‘ lockdown/ ease off’ strategy in the Western world is seen in the vaccine take up rate in countries that had ( until recently) kept COVID at bay. See Taiwan, Malaysia, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand. It’s really rocked the confidence of NZ and Australia.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2021 at 2:44pm
Sospan & Dai - I will start a devolution thread as this is the wrong place methinks!!!!!
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2021 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Last time I was there was 2016 6N game... wouldn’t have guessed the next time I’d be back would be for mass vaccination event. 

He's half-way there. He already thinks we Cymry are too stupid to stupid to govern ourselves.

On the contrary, as of this weekend, Wales officially has the best vaccine rollout in the world. More examples like that from the devolved gov and I’m more than happy to support Independence. 

There's a world of difference between organising a mass vaccine programme & running your own economy & budget. Lots of support I have no doubt in Scotland & Wales for the theory of devolution but in practice I have severe doubts.

An honest & straightforward question - what would Wales & Scotland do in the event of a hostile act by a foreign power? 
Can I genuinely ask why? 
Do you think Scottish and Welsh people naturally aren’t as capable, is it a size issue, a lack of assets/resources or something else/a combination of these?
we have a higher percent of people on benefits, we have a higher percent of people in civil servant/local govt jobs, we have a lower percent of high imcome earners. We are not going to be able to use the pound, we have a useless set of leaders with no business back ground and a cardiff centric mind set a huge no from me
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2021 at 7:09am
Portugal placed on amber list now, so same as Spain. 
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2021 at 10:54am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Can I genuinely ask why? 
we have a higher percent of people on benefits, we have a higher percent of people in civil servant/local govt jobs, we have a lower percent of high imcome earners. We are not going to be able to use the pound, we have a useless set of leaders with no business back ground and a cardiff centric mind set a huge no from me
Ditto Westminster, albeit London/Home Counties Centric despite all the ‘equalling up’ rhetoric that they continue to spout out.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 4:18am
Had a look at the backdrop to the decision to delay a full lockdown release yesterday. It's not an easy call by any means, but I do wonder whether it ever will be.

It feels like the UK edged toward a new desire to have a 'clean slate' ideal for full release yesterday...I do think that this will never happen...a mix of muddled thinking historically ( when to go in to or come out of lockdown, travel bans etc) have meant that Covid will always have a foothold of some kind in the UK.

So the issue now is that the UK seems to have lost it's nerve on large swathes of people having the 1st vaccine being the answer ( 80% of adults one dose, 55% two doses) and pushing the lockdown release out another month to get more people double vaccinated...on the surface totally sensible...but counter that with the fact that although cases have gone up, hospitalizations and fatalities have come in well within the the modeling done at the outset of the 4 step lock down.

The underlying problem here, as I see it, is saying your following data rather than dates, but then telling everyone the dates that things will change. Bizzare.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 9:34am
Anyhow looks like restrictions are staying untill 19.7 in england and goodness knows when here. Doubt well get a full crowd in pys untill 2022!
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 9:37am

Anyhow looks like restrictions are staying untill 19.7 in england and goodness knows when here. Doubt well get a full crowd in pys untill 2022!

But a full capacity for both Wimbledon singles finals....
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Had a look at the backdrop to the decision to delay a full lockdown release yesterday. It's not an easy call by any means, but I do wonder whether it ever will be.

It feels like the UK edged toward a new desire to have a 'clean slate' ideal for full release yesterday...I do think that this will never happen...a mix of muddled thinking historically ( when to go in to or come out of lockdown, travel bans etc) have meant that Covid will always have a foothold of some kind in the UK.

So the issue now is that the UK seems to have lost it's nerve on large swathes of people having the 1st vaccine being the answer ( 80% of adults one dose, 55% two doses) and pushing the lockdown release out another month to get more people double vaccinated...on the surface totally sensible...but counter that with the fact that although cases have gone up, hospitalizations and fatalities have come in well within the the modeling done at the outset of the 4 step lock down.

The underlying problem here, as I see it, is saying your following data rather than dates, but then telling everyone the dates that things will change. Bizzare.

Its all a consequence of the mindless media london circus that somehow seems to pressurise govt into making rash flash headline grabbing gimmicks and statements. Obviously we should follow the data not dates....But the number of times Ive heard those numbskull pretend journalists ask the same gotcha questions...When are we out of lockdown every press conference? same question ad infinitum .....when people stop catching it enmasse and dying in big numbers ...now ask something sensible 

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

But a full capacity for both Wimbledon singles finals....
 drakeford can call that. 8200 for the summer wales games seems v low?
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 10:51am

Great post. Data not dates has obviously always been bogus, they are going off vibes. “If we don’t do something now hospitals might get worse and people might blame us”

Meanwhile a 2 week delay becomes 4 week delay and costs everyone £3bn on the assumption it might save ~5k lives (and who knows what % of those who end up in hospital were unvaccinated by choice!!)

If we took this approach on any other disease at any time before March 2020 it wouldn’t have been taken seriously.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 10:58am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Its all a consequence of the mindless media london circus that somehow seems to pressurise govt into making rash flash headline grabbing gimmicks and statements. Obviously we should follow the data not dates....But the number of times Ive heard those numbskull pretend journalists ask the same gotcha questions...When are we out of lockdown every press conference? same question ad infinitum .....when people stop catching it enmasse and dying in big numbers ...now ask something sensible 

Fundamentally one of the worst parts of the response in this country was watching Oxbridge educated journos ask petty questions to the PM/Witty/Vallance day after day when they could have been pressing on helping the government and the public understand the virus better…

I.e. in April 2020 we had some decent evidence that this was an airborne virus, but the press werent interested in probing the scientists judgement about that they were asking whether we locked down too late… barely a month into the pandemic. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2021 at 12:23pm
https://twitter.com/bydonkeys/status/1404822229939113989?s=21

Interesting (but infuriating) watch that spells out in facts and detail exactly how mismanaged the Delta variant has been here in the UK.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 8:50am
Third wave is with us in Wales then.  
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Third wave is with us in Wales then.  

The UK is going to be a key test of the first generation vaccines. We have a large, dense population (dense as in densely populated of course....), a new strain, relaxed restrictions that include largish gatherings outdoors. 47% of the population are fully vaccinated. 70% is the rough target but levels are still low at present and it should be 70% before October. Of course hospital cases will go up as cases do but we have to look at severity measures (death being one measure of severity). 

On the research front, there's some worrying data come showing loss of grey matter in those that had mild to moderate Covid. Unknown why or what impact this may have.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 267268269270271 305>
  Share Topic