Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 299300301302303 305>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 7:56am
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

https://nation.cymru/news/ons-stats-showing-lower-infections-in-wales-than-england-thoroughly-justified-our-restrictions-mark-drakeford-says/

"Boris played a blinder"? I don't agree with that. Lucky it wasn't worse is more like it.

Anyway, great news Welsh Govt now able to lift restrictions. They've done their job but I'm glad to see the back of them. Sooner this pandemic is over the better.

Lets not forget the cases have plummeted in England with no restrictions so to offer the reduction in case numbers as some sort of proof that Welsh restrictions were justified is a little disingenuous. There is also of course the untold harm done to businesses which will cause long term economic and social damage. Perhaps someone would care to explain to me why.
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 8:50am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

https://nation.cymru/news/ons-stats-showing-lower-infections-in-wales-than-england-thoroughly-justified-our-restrictions-mark-drakeford-says/

"Boris played a blinder"? I don't agree with that. Lucky it wasn't worse is more like it.

Anyway, great news Welsh Govt now able to lift restrictions. They've done their job but I'm glad to see the back of them. Sooner this pandemic is over the better.

Lets not forget the cases have plummeted in England with no restrictions so to offer the reduction in case numbers as some sort of proof that Welsh restrictions were justified is a little disingenuous. There is also of course the untold harm done to businesses which will cause long term economic and social damage. Perhaps someone would care to explain to me why.

You're entitled to your opinion GPR, but we'll have to agree to disagree I'm afraid.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 8:55am

You're entitled to your opinion GPR, but we'll have to agree to disagree I'm afraid.

Thats fine TBS.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 11:19am

I think Jones-ey’s point that the WAG might have made the right decision but the wrong outcome, and likewise English government made a poor decision at the time but ended up with the right outcome is potentially reasonable one.

But I think at this point it’s necessary to acknowledge that the WAGs restrictions were unnecessary as Englands cases, hospitalisations and deaths have shown. 

What you were saying at the time TBS, was that WAG wanted to do more restrictions but we’re held back by Westminster - at this point you have so say that was a bullet Wales dodged, thanks to who?

https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I think Jones-ey’s point that the WAG might have made the right decision but the wrong outcome, and likewise English government made a poor decision at the time but ended up with the right outcome is potentially reasonable one.

But I think at this point it’s necessary to acknowledge that the WAGs restrictions were unnecessary as Englands cases, hospitalisations and deaths have shown. 

What you were saying at the time TBS, was that WAG wanted to do more restrictions but we’re held back by Westminster - at this point you have so say that was a bullet Wales dodged, thanks to who?

Depends on perspective really doesn't it. Are we out of restrictions quicker because they were sharper? Probably too many variables involved to directly correlate. Are our hospitals in better shape now than England's because we were harsher? Again tough to correlate directly but that would be the way Welsh Govt looked at it. They've been pretty transparent about that. That's the trade off they've made. Erred on the side of caution. I mean we can all take an opinion on that but I find the personal insults being slung Drakeford's way unpleasant and unecessary. Like I've said before, I'm no great fan of his. But I think this is all getting churned up with the so called "culture wars" and I'm even less a fan of the shCensoredt flinging going on there.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 8:36pm

Wales introduced restrictions because Boris didn’t. It’s political *** for tat. Has been throughout. One does the opposite of the other. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Wales introduced restrictions because Boris didn’t. It’s political *** for tat. Has been throughout. One does the opposite of the other. 

Seems highly unlikely.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2022 at 12:59pm
With regard to the different case rates between the different nations and in particular how the Wales figures seem to be higher than others in December despite having more stringent restrictions in place. I happened to be talking with some well qualified scientists this morning and their opinion was that all these figures are pie-in-the-sky nonsense and are to be taken with a pinch of salt. As one said, would you ever use this data as reliable data for an experiment you were running.  That hit home with me - take it all with a big pinch of salt folks.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 4:55pm
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 6:04pm

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/articles-reports/2022/01/18/whose-pandemic-approach-better-england-or-wales?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=england_or_wales_lockdown_measures

Interesting.
When looking at individual policies I always wonder how many people just don’t like large football crowds gathering / people spilling out of nightclubs generally rather being opposed to them on a covid basis. It’s also of course much easier to support closing those things if you personally don’t partake in them. To this end I remember that there was one yougov poll that showed that a larger than expected minority supported permanent nightclub closures and curfew (regardless of covid situation), which should be factored into any analysis of support for any lockdown restrictions. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 8:12am
Lets take this a little further afield. England throughout the latest Omicron wave limited restrictions. France have introduced much tighter restrictions recently but still had limits of 5000 at outdoor sporting events throughout. They also introduced a travel ban from the UK. Numbers of cases in England peaked at just over 200K & are currently around 80K; France yesterday nearly 500k with 7 day averages up to 300k.

Surely we have to realise sometime soon that the way we live with this virus threat is through a World class vaccination programme with scientifically led ongoing programmes aimed at keeping natural immunity as high as possible in the community. Arbitrarily closing down vast swathes of our economy cannot be a long term answer & creates far more problems than solutions. 

The World is facing an exponential threat to its very existence in climate change - successful economies throughout the World are the engines to pay for the change that is needed; this enormous change is being stalled as more and more damage is done to our economies. We have to find a better way. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 10:23am

Lets take this a little further afield. England throughout the latest Omicron wave limited restrictions. France have introduced much tighter restrictions recently but still had limits of 5000 at outdoor sporting events throughout. They also introduced a travel ban from the UK. Numbers of cases in England peaked at just over 200K & are currently around 80K; France yesterday nearly 500k with 7 day averages up to 300k.

Surely we have to realise sometime soon that the way we live with this virus threat is through a World class vaccination programme with scientifically led ongoing programmes aimed at keeping natural immunity as high as possible in the community. Arbitrarily closing down vast swathes of our economy cannot be a long term answer & creates far more problems than solutions. 

The World is facing an exponential threat to its very existence in climate change - successful economies throughout the World are the engines to pay for the change that is needed; this enormous change is being stalled as more and more damage is done to our economies. We have to find a better way. 

Unfortunately, there's no money to be made from doing any of the things needed, and we've seen how resistant people are to any imposed changes in their lifestyles with covid, so my hopes are very low that anything significant will happen until we are past the point of no return. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 2:01pm
The other problem with the climate plan is the money men dictate it. Look at cars, its currently totally unrealistic and unaffordable for billions to buy electric cars and plug them in every day. Then you have the infinite hidden costs like dpfs in vehicle endless sensors that are simply unaffordable to the majority
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 5:09pm
Just reflecting that as Skunk Anansie sung, "Yes it's fCensoreding political!"

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

The other problem with the climate plan is the money men dictate it. Look at cars, its currently totally unrealistic and unaffordable for billions to buy electric cars and plug them in every day. Then you have the infinite hidden costs like dpfs in vehicle endless sensors that are simply unaffordable to the majority

The notion that the environmental solution to cars is to just swap to batteries is dangerously wrong whether they become affordable or not. The answer lies in making public transport and active travel a better option. That takes investment. Given that these things are a public good I don't hold out much hope.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 7:06pm

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

The notion that the environmental solution to cars is to just swap to batteries is dangerously wrong whether they become affordable or not. The answer lies in making public transport and active travel a better option. That takes investment. Given that these things are a public good I don't hold out much hope.

Electric trams seem to be making a comeback in several english towns, seem like an obvious step forward to be, any ideas why they were scrapped in the first place?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 299300301302303 305>
  Share Topic