Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2022 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

Spent the last couple of days travelling for work in France Belgium and Holland. With leaving and returning to England 4 sets of COVID rules and sets of documents and tests - because I couldn’t practically quarantine under Dutch rules as needed to see people face to face I  couldn’t stay in Holland for more than 12 consecutive hours ( until today when rules relaxed for the triple jabbed from the UK) but could go back to Belgium where I could stay for up to  48 hours as long as I made sure not to cross the border from Holland or France into Belgium  in public transport.No time limit in France but different rules on crossing from the Uk as compared to driving across the border from Belgium as if coming into France from Belgium rather than directly from the UK your test result is valid for twice as long even if the original test was taken in the UK.Having spent hours researching the different rules and completing umpteen online and paper forms with tests thrown in apart from my passport being checked on leaving through Eurotunnel I  crossed  the various borders umpteen times without a single check and the only way of knowing you were in a different country was the ‘welcome to ‘sign on the motorway.In Holland premises usually asked for Proof of vaccination nothing in Belgium and asked occasionally in France but all keen on mask wearing . Didn’t see another Uk registered car after the turn off for Dunkirk so felt privileged the rules had just been written for me as none of the above applied to EU citizens .Sorry absolutely no point to this post other than unburdening .

Think that just about sums up the nonsense which is European bureaucracy at its best. Thank heaven we are out of it is all I can say. 

Yes, a pity. What is it about borders?

i am angry (as are other members of my family) that English people cross the border into Wales and ignore the stricter rules we have here... so many don't wear masks when they are supposed to, and even refuse to put them on when it's pointed out that the rules differ.

In our tight family circle of 6, no fewer than 3 are vulnerable for different reasons. The two that regularly see members of the public face to face have been 'covid contacts' on several occasions. Because they are super careful about wearing masks etc. - as well as a bit lucky, maybe - none of us has had covid - yet.

it would be a lot easier, though, if the invaders from across the border showed respect for Welsh regulations!

Edited by aber-fan - 03 February 2022 at 2:08pm
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2022 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Spent the last couple of days travelling for work in France Belgium and Holland. With leaving and returning to England 4 sets of COVID rules and sets of documents and tests - because I couldn’t practically quarantine under Dutch rules as needed to see people face to face I  couldn’t stay in Holland for more than 12 consecutive hours ( until today when rules relaxed for the triple jabbed from the UK) but could go back to Belgium where I could stay for up to  48 hours as long as I made sure not to cross the border from Holland or France into Belgium  in public transport.No time limit in France but different rules on crossing from the Uk as compared to driving across the border from Belgium as if coming into France from Belgium rather than directly from the UK your test result is valid for twice as long even if the original test was taken in the UK.Having spent hours researching the different rules and completing umpteen online and paper forms with tests thrown in apart from my passport being checked on leaving through Eurotunnel I  crossed  the various borders umpteen times without a single check and the only way of knowing you were in a different country was the ‘welcome to ‘sign on the motorway.In Holland premises usually asked for Proof of vaccination nothing in Belgium and asked occasionally in France but all keen on mask wearing . Didn’t see another Uk registered car after the turn off for Dunkirk so felt privileged the rules had just been written for me as none of the above applied to EU citizens .Sorry absolutely no point to this post other than unburdening .

Think that just about sums up the nonsense which is European bureaucracy at its best. Thank heaven we are out of it is all I can say. 

i am angry (as are other members of my family) that English people cross the border into Wales and ignore the stricter rules we have here... so many don't wear masks when they are supposed to, and even refuse to put them on when it's pointed out that the rules differ.

In our tight family circle of 6, no fewer than 3 are vulnerable for different reasons. The two that regularly see members of the public face to face have been 'covid contacts' on several occasions. Because they are super careful about wearing masks etc. - as well as a bit lucky, maybe - none of us has had covid - yet.

it would be a lot easier, though, if the invaders from across the border showed respect for Welsh regulations!

Too right. Quite we can't have a general agreement UK wide on something as small was mask wearing is utter nonsense. Home you and your family remain safe. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2022 at 2:26pm

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Too right. Quite we can't have a general agreement UK wide on something as small was mask wearing is utter nonsense. Home you and your family remain safe. 

Thanks for that.

As to the lack of UK wide agreement - Johnson has run things as if he's in charge of the whole of the UK, without bothering to consult the devolved administrations for the most part - a typical colonialist attitude. 

He is also 'Boris Booster' who wants to put a positive spin on everything - which means 'party like there's no tomorrow' apparently - and there won't be a 'tomorrow' for many, thanks to him. 

Mask wearing is a very minor inconvenience and the most effective measure for preventing the spread of covid - it should stay in force in enclosed public spaces and transport for everyone for quite a while unless there is a strong health reason why they can't wear masks - IMO. To make it out that this constitutes the first step on the road to a third reich-alike - as many commentators of extreme libertarian ideas contend - is beyond absurd and pathetic.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2022 at 11:57am
Watching the Omicron variant break through in the few countries that have largely been able to resist all forms of Covid to date, raises a concern.

Hong Kong cases have never really gone above 100 a day at max...today they are over 1500...the concern is that with it's relatively successful ( but increasingly unpopular) zero Covid case policy, the vaccination drive has met with apathy (that and the fact it was a Chinese vaccine). The vacc rate in the older age groups is really quite low ( 1 in 3 over 80s are fully vaccinated for example).

So, despite the comparatively mild Omicron variant, hospital beds are quickly filling up, and will be over full by the weekend.

All over the far east the general response has been to get the Western Covid toolbox from 2020 out. Lockdowns/passes/movement restrictions etc.

New Zealand are being similarly overwhelmed by case levels, but they drove the vaccination initiative at a time where others should have. However you can sense they are 'newbies' and are conflicted on what to do..

Bottom line is Omicron out flanked every country, regardless of their previous approach.

Edited by Wil Chips - 14 February 2022 at 12:00pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2022 at 10:19pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2022 at 9:42am
How is it possible that we have gone almost two weeks without a post on this topic? it feels that it has been consigned to history which, of course, is way off the mark. I have to applaud people in my area for at least sticking with mask wearing in public spaces.

Still 2000 people per day dying in America which is a frightening stat. Stay safe all as this roller coaster will return. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2022 at 10:52am

How is it possible that we have gone almost two weeks without a post on this topic? it feels that it has been consigned to history which, of course, is way off the mark. I have to applaud people in my area for at least sticking with mask wearing in public spaces.

Still 2000 people per day dying in America which is a frightening stat. Stay safe all as this roller coaster will return. 

Fair comment... I think as usual that Boris Booster is going too fast on this - and what about making people pay for test kits? How are the poorer members of society supposed to afford that, with NI going up, fuel and food prices going up, and most extreme of all, the cap taken off energy bills - ours is going up by 50% FFS! 

It's also worrying that mask wearing is now optional in many situations - and treated as such even when it should be compulsory. I have been to Glangwili hospital a couple of times recently, and have been shocked by how many patients wander about with no face covering - I even challenged one young woman with a broken leg who looked otherwise in good health - she claimed to 'have an exemption'  I didn't believe her, but in truth the hospital should have someone on the door to check - they don't.

I'm not sure if my local hospital, Bronglais, has a door person, but I can see the entrance to outpatients when I walk by, and pretty much everyone there wears a mask - so far. So do the workers in our local Kwik-Fit - how come they are more careful than Glangwili???

Edited by aber-fan - 02 March 2022 at 10:55am
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2022 at 12:50pm

Because it’s over, we’ve fired every shot but this strain is so transmissible that China and NZ can’t contain it.

The countries that locked down early, covid-zero and severe border closures sealing themselves off from the world - did well.

Some countries with the opposite approach like Sweden avoided the pain of trying to swim out of a riptide and now have lower death rates this winter than many of their neighbours 

The countries that tried the hammer and the dance failed and got both economic damage, social damage and health damage - this applies to most western European countries.

U.K. Government did well at the pace of its initial vaccine rollout and updating to new information when omicron hit - but for most of the pandemic failed to have a clear strategy and ended up “hammering and dancing”.

Many countries and industries still have restrictions but they are now all completely pointless and as relevant as nailing garlic to your door to stop the plague.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2022 at 12:53pm
The more harrowing point of discussion is that we’re probably less prepared for the next pandemic than we were this one. 

Other than our speed to generate new vaccines, I don’t anticipate a “scientific” consensus on how to deal with a new, more virulent pathogen
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2022 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Because it’s over, we’ve fired every shot but this strain is so transmissible that China and NZ can’t contain it.

The countries that locked down early, covid-zero and severe border closures sealing themselves off from the world - did well.

Some countries with the opposite approach like Sweden avoided the pain of trying to swim out of a riptide and now have lower death rates this winter than many of their neighbours 

The countries that tried the hammer and the dance failed and got both economic damage, social damage and health damage - this applies to most western European countries.

U.K. Government did well at the pace of its initial vaccine rollout and updating to new information when omicron hit - but for most of the pandemic failed to have a clear strategy and ended up “hammering and dancing”.

Many countries and industries still have restrictions but they are now all completely pointless and as relevant as nailing garlic to your door to stop the plague.

The precautions did make a difference and still could. we still have some rules left in wales and Ill still wear a snood inside in busy places.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2022 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

The precautions did make a difference and still could. we still have some rules left in wales and Ill still wear a snood inside in busy places.

I will continue to nail garlic to my door too LOL

I still wear a mask on the tube but only if there’s other people around. Not convinced it’s doing anything but has basically become a ritual and somewhat polite.

Generally I think we should be taking our masks off 
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2022 at 6:51pm
The concern that I have is that the next mutation of the virus could be less transmittable but more dangerous and we’ve scaled back all testing (including PCR testing) which is what is used to pick up on any new variants of the virus.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2022 at 5:26am

Hong Kong just recorded the highest pandemic daily death rate on record...if it had a population the size of the US then some 7,000 people would have died the day before yesterday.

In many of the (handful) of countries that went for the 'zero case' philosophy it followed that 'vaccine apathy' prevailed ( only 3 in 10 HK residents over 80 or vaccinated). It also followed that the medical care facilities did not think they needed a provision for extra care.

In these countries (like HK) Omicron has had a very dramatic impact unfortunately.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2022 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Hong Kong just recorded the highest pandemic daily death rate on record...if it had a population the size of the US then some 7,000 people would have died the day before yesterday.

In many of the (handful) of countries that went for the 'zero case' philosophy it followed that 'vaccine apathy' prevailed ( only 3 in 10 HK residents over 80 or vaccinated). It also followed that the medical care facilities did not think they needed a provision for extra care.

In these countries (like HK) Omicron has had a very dramatic impact unfortunately.

That's not surprising sadly, as many HK residents don't want to have the vaccine as they already have a fractured relationship with the Chinese government. My best friend lives there & his Mandarin wife is considering leaving Hong Kong because of this.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2022 at 9:18am

I still wear a mask on the tube but only if there’s other people around. Not convinced it’s doing anything but has basically become a ritual and somewhat polite.

I 100% disagree
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2022 at 9:32am

So your position is to basically live with the consequences of infection - honest question by the way. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305>
  Share Topic