Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 295296297298299 305>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 9:50pm
With the suggested 2 week incubation period then I don’t think we are anywhere near the peak of the omicron variant, not with the Christmas and new year’s holiday period only just passed.
A lot of the NHS trusts in England are saying that they are on their knees already, with the upward spike in positive cases and beds being occupied and staff having to self isolate due to having the virus, Swansea Bay UHB have said the same today and I’m sure there will be other welsh UHBs following suit very soon.
Boris has bent over to please his back benchers by refusing to introduce any more restrictions in England (as he doesn’t want to lose their support) but this has and is putting extreme pressure on the NHS (mostly outside of London) where they don’t have the capacity to deal with the increase of hospital admissions.
These actions by Boris then have a negative impact on the devolved nations as there are porous borders allowing people to cross their borders into England to enjoy festivities before returning home (possibly with the virus).  
Its ironic that he says that they are following the data, but looking at the other European nations, their infection rates are generally lower but they are still taking their restrictions more seriously, and the following of the data all along has still seem the UK with the second highest death rate in the western world.
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

With the suggested 2 week incubation period then I don’t think we are anywhere near the peak of the omicron variant, not with the Christmas and new year’s holiday period only just passed.
A lot of the NHS trusts in England are saying that they are on their knees already, with the upward spike in positive cases and beds being occupied and staff having to self isolate due to having the virus, Swansea Bay UHB have said the same today and I’m sure there will be other welsh UHBs following suit very soon.
Boris has bent over to please his back benchers by refusing to introduce any more restrictions in England (as he doesn’t want to lose their support) but this has and is putting extreme pressure on the NHS (mostly outside of London) where they don’t have the capacity to deal with the increase of hospital admissions.
These actions by Boris then have a negative impact on the devolved nations as there are porous borders allowing people to cross their borders into England to enjoy festivities before returning home (possibly with the virus).  
Its ironic that he says that they are following the data, but looking at the other European nations, their infection rates are generally lower but they are still taking their restrictions more seriously, and the following of the data all along has still seem the UK with the second highest death rate in the western world.

That's very much the impression I have at present. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2022 at 8:11am
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

That's very much the impression I have at present. 

OK so with a two week incubation period we should be seeing a massive increase next week. I don't think anyone is arguing that Health Boards are not under severe pressure but as you point out above Welsh Health Boards are suffering too despite the WG taking the steps they have. 

Businesses up and down the country are suffering with staff shortages due to Omicron so the decision is do you accept that the best chance we have of rescuing our Economy & way of life is to trust the vaccination programme & encourage people to take simple every day precautions such as wearing masks, socially distance indoors etc or shut everything down. 

The steps taken by the WG over and above those taken by Westminster have, as yet, not been shown to reduce ICU admissions. If that is the same statistic in 7-10 days then they were unneccesary in my opinion. Where Boris probably needs to get harder and is being stopped by his back bench revolt is in the treatment of the non vaccinated. From 15th January large scale restrictions are being introduced in France which seem pretty sensible to me. Short of making vaccination compulsory restricting every day activities like attending bars, cafes, restaurants, theatres, cinemas & health clubs will certainly concentrate the minds of the small, yet sizeable minority. 

More vaccinations = less admissions to ICU = less strain on the health service is the way forward from now on for us all to live with this virus. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2022 at 9:25am
Some evidence of a “nocebo” effect of placebo vaccines - where people who are given a placebo vaccine experience headaches and drowsiness in the days afterwards, seemingly at a similar rate to those who are given the vaccine

https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2022 at 9:35am

A lot of the NHS trusts in England are saying that they are on their knees already, with the upward spike in positive cases and beds being occupied and staff having to self isolate due to having the virus

Omnicrom has shorter incubation period 2-5 days not the 5-14 days of earlier variants. Hence the spike and then drop of cases in South Africa and London.

If politicians are working off the data of old variants to justify NPIs then they’re criminally neglectful  
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2022 at 9:45am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

A lot of the NHS trusts in England are saying that they are on their knees already, with the upward spike in positive cases and beds being occupied and staff having to self isolate due to having the virus

Omnicrom has shorter incubation period 2-5 days not the 5-14 days of earlier variants. Hence the spike and then drop of cases in South Africa and London.

If politicians are working off the data of old variants to justify NPIs then they’re criminally neglectful  

If thats the case then more power to my argument. Drakeford should announce an immediate end to all restrictions other than those imposed by Westminster. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2022 at 10:23am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

If thats the case then more power to my argument. Drakeford should announce an immediate end to all restrictions other than those imposed by Westminster. 

Wales is Labour. Whatever one does the other has to do different. They’re like big kids. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2022 at 10:29am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Wales is Labour. Whatever one does the other has to do different. They’re like big kids. 

Can't disagree with you on that. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2022 at 12:03pm

I might be wrong but I’d assumed that when talking about the 14 days Legend meant the time from infection to hospitalisations, not from infection to symptoms/ positive test (which is what incubation period is of course). That is still true for Omicron and so the peak of hospitalisations wouldn’t have passed yet, although the peak of cases could very well have. Of course he could well have actually meant incubation period, in which case he would’ve been mistaken. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2022 at 7:28pm
Had our PCR tests today. Two tests cost just under £70. 

Didn’t need them for our return border crossing, however, we thought it best.

On the way out, it was about £125 each so about 3.5 times the cost over here. It would be so good to know where all this money is going……….
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2022 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

[QUOTE=Legendinmybathroom]With the suggested 2 week incubation period then I don’t think we are anywhere near the peak of the omicron variant, not with the Christmas and new year’s holiday period only just passed.

I might be wrong but I’d assumed that when talking about the 14 days Legend meant the time from infection to hospitalisations, not from infection to symptoms/ positive test (which is what incubation period is of course). That is still true for Omicron and so the peak of hospitalisations wouldn’t have passed yet, although the peak of cases could very well have. Of course he could well have actually meant incubation period, in which case he would’ve been mistaken. 
[/QUOTE

Thank you, that’s what I meant, sorry I didn’t make it clear enough in my text.  It’s up to 14 days between infection and hospitalisation.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2022 at 5:15am

I know you think this is fun ( posting bollox like this on every thread); but it’s actually pretty tedious. Not that you are bothered of course.

Edited by Fscarlet - 07 January 2022 at 8:10am
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2022 at 7:34am
Mate have a bit of ****** respect for people who have lost loved ones to this virus,my next door neighbour lost his dad just before xmas to the virus and i'm sure he'd be interested to hear you say it was a cold,where the **** are the mods?

Edited by Fscarlet - 07 January 2022 at 8:10am
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2022 at 8:14am
Lets keep the thread respectful please, remember posters on here have lost family members & friends to COVID.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2022 at 10:55am
army employed in london to cover nhs staff shortages now
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2022 at 10:58am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

army employed in london to cover nhs staff shortages now

Army staff have been driving ambulances around here for a couple of months now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 295296297298299 305>
  Share Topic