Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 305>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 8:26pm
Ireland have 2 outstanding 6N matches to play. 
Sponsored Links

Scarlet Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 9:45pm

Now the whole of Italy is going to be put in lockdown. This could be a real game changer for the way the rest of Europe acts. 
joni_bach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 10:00pm
I suppose there's potentially a gap on the 28th November for Ireland v Italy, as only England (v Aus) and Wales (v SA) from the home nations are due to play on that day. 

But Italy would have to play England, SA, Uruguay, Australia and Ireland on 5 consecutive weekends.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 7:47am
Have you noticed how Boris is relying on (hiding behind) experts now.  With Brexit, we were told not to trust experts.  He could manage the narative with Brexit but the Virus isn't listening to him.

It's pretty obvious that this is going to hit hard over the next few weeks and we're being quietly walked into a situation the likes we've never seen in the UK.  
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Have you noticed how Boris is relying on (hiding behind) experts now.  With Brexit, we were told not to trust experts.  He could manage the narative with Brexit but the Virus isn't listening to him.

It's pretty obvious that this is going to hit hard over the next few weeks and we're being quietly walked into a situation the likes we've never seen in the UK.  

Well... good. At least he's not doing what Trump is. If Boris defers to experts we in the UK should be pleased. One aspect both him and Trump have is that most scientists and academics hate them for their policies so won't be kind in their criticisms. For what it's worth I have no criticisms at all for the way the Government are handling this - the public have a strong desire for daily, even hourly, uptakes and action but this is not reasonable. Reassurance that we are preparing is what's needed and that the correct advice is being given. In terms of facilities for if/when it hits the UK hard is perhaps another matter.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 8:02am
I find it almost impossible to trust the numbers, but Xi reckons China has only 19 new cases today and that the virus is under control there. Italy will be a far more reliable judge of how effective containment is.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 8:11am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Well... good. At least he's not doing what Trump is. If Boris defers to experts we in the UK should be pleased. One aspect both him and Trump have is that most scientists and academics hate them for their policies so won't be kind in their criticisms. For what it's worth I have no criticisms at all for the way the Government are handling this - the public have a strong desire for daily, even hourly, uptakes and action but this is not reasonable. Reassurance that we are preparing is what's needed and that the correct advice is being given. In terms of facilities for if/when it hits the UK hard is perhaps another matter.

I understand and sympathise with the dilemma the government is in but the Cheltenham festival and the Wales Scotland game should be postponed if they want to slow down the spread of the virus. Both will superspread the virus, particularly Cheltenham which is four days and evenings of close encounters between people from a wide geographic area. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 8:16am
Considering the stage the UK's in, they may be late cancellations. See how things are by Thursday/Friday.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 8:43am
Extend the red zone in all Italy was the only solution for contain the contagious...
the real problem is not the virus, but the collapse of the system and in this view stupid italians are not helping the society, people who move from north to south, real trouble in the jails...
I think the Wales match will be postponed...
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 8:44am

Spot on Dr M. I cannot see any comparison at all between Brexit & the virus - my old sparring partner Rob is at it againBig smile. Boris has to be led by medical & scientific experts & so far they are giving what seems sound advice. Apparently the danger is to intensify response advice too soon which leads to people ignoring it when they most need to follow. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

Extend the red zone in all Italy was the only solution for contain the contagious...
the real problem is not the virus, but the collapse of the system and in this view stupid italians are not helping the society, people who move from north to south, real trouble in the jails...

How are things in Italy today Mr Ian? Big question I know but your experiences?
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Spot on Dr M. I cannot see any comparison at all between Brexit & the virus - my old sparring partner Rob is at it againBig smile. Boris has to be led by medical & scientific experts & so far they are giving what seems sound advice. Apparently the danger is to intensify response advice too soon which leads to people ignoring it when they most need to follow. 
That was my point GPR - Scientific advice is good.  So far, this crisis has been good for the scientific community as their worth is actualy being recognised. 

The Government is walking a tightrope between saving lives versus saving the economy from a major hit.  

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 10 March 2020 at 9:36am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 9:38am
The main reason it's worrying is because it's new and not understood. But the social media aspect of this is fascinating taking a step back. It's a post-truth new virus and we're now seeing just how strong the influence of rubbish people post online is (I accept this post may also be an example of this).
For example, I read this story where the French Government have had to tell the public that cocaine does not protect against coronavirus:

I think this is at the heart of Rob's post: that the blatant lying, when everyone knows it's lying, from top politicians now will not work. So yes, it is getting muddled in politics but there is a very real criticism within it this may make apparent. If Boris is smart enough to accept he cannot bluff his way through this then I think that is the correct decision and I do hope he takes the advice of actual experts and not conservative science-puppets approved by Cummings.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 9:49am

Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

How are things in Italy today Mr Ian? Big question I know but your experiences?

In this moment is difficoult to say everything. I m living in Sicily, Modica and in all my territory there is only 1 sospect infected. I m at work but I cant go out to do my job, school are closed and there many limitations. When I m off, come back to home and stay inside a part for go to the supermarket.
We are living a surreal situation, anxiety of course but this is the moment to be responsable people..
Of course the regions more afflicted are the northern ones but whens sunday Politic decided to close Lombardia (Milan) many people started to  leave immediately and many of them are southern people who study or work in that area, so now we expect an increase of cases...they are really irresponsable. My bro who live in Milan is at home from 3 weeks..
A part the health situation, not too cleare, my worries are about economic and financial situation, yesterday Milan lost 11 points, many many miliards of euro and the speculation is starting...
Also this scenes of people who run away, in my view are showing a weakness of italian people agains a problem, I  dont wanto to think what can happen in war situation like Siria or other..

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 9:52am

I find it almost impossible to trust the numbers, but Xi reckons China has only 19 new cases today and that the virus is under control there. Italy will be a far more reliable judge of how effective containment is.

I'd jut add that the China number really do stack up. We have independent advisors in place there. The efforts made were amazing.

Italy, unfortunately, is now the main cluster. Justifiably, as it can't replicate the Chinese containment plan, it's going for a nationwide shutdown.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I'd jut add that the China number really do stack up. We have independent advisors in place there. The efforts made were amazing.

Italy, unfortunately, is now the main cluster. Justifiably, as it can't replicate the Chinese containment plan, it's going for a nationwide shutdown.

As harsh as this sounds China with it 's scant regard for human rights  and a brutal police force has a far better chance of enforcing strict guidelines to stop the outbreak spreading  that liberal western societies like ours.

If this hits the uk in a big way we are far too used to doing what we like when we like to tolerate the measures that are needed to contain the virus

Worrying times ahead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 305>
  Share Topic