Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 305>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

I find it almost impossible to trust the numbers, but Xi reckons China has only 19 new cases today and that the virus is under control there. Italy will be a far more reliable judge of how effective containment is.

I'd jut add that the China number really do stack up. We have independent advisors in place there. The efforts made were amazing.

Italy, unfortunately, is now the main cluster. Justifiably, as it can't replicate the Chinese containment plan, it's going for a nationwide shutdown.

Really? That is nothing short of incredible. You are talking a nation of more than a billion people have restricted cases to 19 in one day. And yes, if the Chinese Government wants to do something nation-wide, it happens. They built hospitals in weeks. Not going to happen here. Italy is definitely the test nation for the rest of us for sure. France as well, as they have less cases but more than us so represent our near future. They have taken action on preventing social gatherings etc. I think we're just in that "watch and wait" phase, which is understandably making people a bit anxious. But we carry on for now until told otherwise. Mass shutdown probably would help in the UK but as Rob says, we're balancing keeping the country and economy running versus controlling the spread of the virus and it's hard to justify at this point.

Edited by dr_martinov - 10 March 2020 at 10:25am
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 10:29am
With careful planning many more people could work from home and study from home. Ironically any work done on this home work issue ad Corona Virus mitigation may start some employers and staff thinking of the benefits of flexible/ home working to avoid the typical 8 am-6pm commuting rat race and reduce congestion! Won’t affect me now but so much wasted time is spent “ going to work “

Edited by reesytheexile - 10 March 2020 at 10:31am
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 10:35am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

With careful planning many more people could work from home and study from home. Ironically any work done on this home work issue ad Corona Virus mitigation may start some employers and staff thinking of the benefits of flexible/ home working to avoid the typical 8 am-6pm commuting rat race and reduce congestion! Won’t affect me now but so much wasted time is spent “ going to work “

Not to mention potentially seeing a positive impact on the environment. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 10:36am

Agree totally, Im an accountant for a firm which incorporates 6 companies & I can work on the accounts from my phone if I wanted to...
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Scarlet Tom Scarlet Tom wrote:

Now the whole of Italy is going to be put in lockdown. This could be a real game changer for the way the rest of Europe acts. 
weird isnt it...italy fixtures cancelled...yet treviso travelled to Newport last week.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Now the whole of Italy is going to be put in lockdown. This could be a real game changer for the way the rest of Europe acts. 
weird isnt it...italy fixtures cancelled...yet treviso travelled to Newport last week.

Well in reality how many Benetton fan travelled. Italy fixtures cancelled because we are talking about venues holding 50K +. Situation has now developed rapidly of course with travel from Italy in lockdown.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Well in reality how many Benetton fan travelled. Italy fixtures cancelled because we are talking about venues holding 50K +. Situation has now developed rapidly of course with travel from Italy in lockdown.

You are still talking about a flight from one of the most affected areas in Italy coming over to the UK which is just asking for trouble IMO.
Womens rugby been cancelled, nowhere near the crowd of the Dragons game, so dont think the venue has much to do with it, IMO.
It was only Friday they were in Newport, as they land back home they are on full lock down...whos to say some of the players arent already affected?
i personally see a lot of contradictions being made across the board. they want to contain, but allow flights. they want to delay, yet dont screen everyone at airports coming from affected countries...
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 12:27pm

You are still talking about a flight from one of the most affected areas in Italy coming over to the UK which is just asking for trouble IMO.
Womens rugby been cancelled, nowhere near the crowd of the Dragons game, so dont think the venue has much to do with it, IMO.
It was only Friday they were in Newport, as they land back home they are on full lock down...whos to say some of the players arent already affected?
i personally see a lot of contradictions being made across the board. they want to contain, but allow flights. they want to delay, yet dont screen everyone at airports coming from affected countries...

Yes it does appear a bit hit or miss I would agree. An interesting stat I head last week is that Italy were the first European country to ban flights to and from China yet they are the worst affected. We have to put our trust in the professionals and hope that politicians follow their advice.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 12:33pm

Yes it does appear a bit hit or miss I would agree. An interesting stat I head last week is that Italy were the first European country to ban flights to and from China yet they are the worst affected. We have to put our trust in the professionals and hope that politicians follow their advice.

wasnt aware of that. But yes all we can do is sit tight and trust those in charge.

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 9:16pm

What kind of jobs can all the staff work from home?
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 8:07am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Office jobs? Project management? HR? Finance? Software design? Anything where your input is a PC (or can be scanned into a PC) and output is email, phones, Skype etc. Education can be done remotely as well. A whole company working from home may come with new challenges though: how bosses motivate and coordinate, productivity (can be higher or lower actually), and even mental health as many people really need that personal contact with others, even if low amounts. It can certainly be done though, some of our work setup now is just habit really.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 8:49am

Did he really ask that question????? 
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 9:14am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

If I remember sa14 used to work in industry, so it would be a fair question... I work in a call centre....yes a lot of people could work from home but I could not do mine from home and I imaginre quite a few other industries would at least have to have someone in an office..Trying to belittle someone who asks a genuine question just seems a bit off and part of the reason people are spending a lot less time on here.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 9:27am

Yes because I was curious. Thanks for the reply Doc. Not sure what to think of all this. Is it a virus made to sound worse because of social media? Or is it as serious as it’s made to sound. One thing is sure. If it mutates into a virus that gives you diarrhoea then there’s gonna be a lot of smug people about. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

If I remember sa14 used to work in industry, so it would be a fair question... I work in a call centre....yes a lot of people could work from home but I could not do mine from home and I imaginre quite a few other industries would at least have to have someone in an office..Trying to belittle someone who asks a genuine question just seems a bit off and part of the reason people are spending a lot less time on here.
SA’s response did seem a bit unexpected but I do take the point that eg working in a factory line or maintenance is not going to suit home base working for all but certainly some employees in that factory might be able to do so. All I was generally suggesting was that when things like this virus start forcing us to think about working patterns it drives home how much the “ I’m going out to work “ premise can be really rejigged and if it works . to continue with that theme. Obviously there are all sorts of variables but society could do a lot more to develop home working . If it gets any congestion off the roads even better. 

Edited by reesytheexile - 11 March 2020 at 10:04am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 10:07am
Guy on the radio last night reckons we are exactly where Italy were 2 weeks ago

Not sure if what they did has hindered or helped the outbreak

I can't work from my home for my job I have to physically be at the place I'm working in  I'm lucky I have a few insurance policies in place so I can take the hit if I have to stay off for a few weeks

But some people I work alongside  don't and if they don't  go work  they  don't get paid these are fit young  guys with young families to provide for but also with elderly relatives some with health issues.
This could be a nightmare for them

Being an Island we are afforded  some p[protection and we should have been ahead of the game , personally I would have slapped a travel ban on people coming  from china weeks ago (unless they did the quarantine bit)  and I'd have done it on Italy last week to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 305>
  Share Topic