Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Players and Coach out of contract

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Players and Coach out of contract
    Posted: 19 March 2020 at 8:20pm
With the current Pro 14 season suspended until further notice, how will this affect players and Brad whose contracts are due to finish at the end of the current campaign.
Will we have a situation where contracts come to an end and those players would not be available for selection should the season resume. Also, I would assume that Brad has made arrangements for his return home to NZ to his new employer, what would his position be.
This would obviously be a consideration for all teams within the league
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

With the current Pro 14 season suspended until further notice, how will this affect players and Brad whose contracts are due to finish at the end of the current campaign.
Will we have a situation where contracts come to an end and those players would not be available for selection should the season resume. Also, I would assume that Brad has made arrangements for his return home to NZ to his new employer, what would his position be.
This would obviously be a consideration for all teams within the league
Actual contract terms are confidential but if eg Brad wants to leave early and/ or the club suggests this on certain terms and /or the AB’s happy to pick up his wages then it’s obviously possible . I think we have seen the last of Brad sadly due to this virus 😕
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 11:02pm
Agree. Brad is gone.
Scarlets before Wales
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 7:41am
In the Times this morning, there’s a small piece about the Chelsea football player Willian. He has stated he’s happy to continue at Chelsea even if the extended season runs past the end of his contract.

This made me wonder how we would be if the PRO14 manages to resuscitate the 19/20 season and play it to a finish and the revised programmes go beyond the current contracts of some. Do players head off and new ones come in, on an accelerated get to know our plays basis, or do folk stay til the end of the season?

In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

In the Times this morning, there’s a small piece about the Chelsea football player Willian. He has stated he’s happy to continue at Chelsea even if the extended season runs past the end of his contract.

This made me wonder how we would be if the PRO14 manages to resuscitate the 19/20 season and play it to a finish and the revised programmes go beyond the current contracts of some. Do players head off and new ones come in, on an accelerated get to know our plays basis, or do folk stay til the end of the season?

Clearly a very interesting question which won't have too many precedents. For me players/coaches leaving will carry on as normal being paid by us until the end of contract period - June I think. If fixtures fall outside that time due to a season extension then you cope with the players in contract which may feature any new signings. 

I don't see any way that remaining fixtures will be played and I hold out little hope that we will see the play off stages of pro 14 or Europe completed. I appreciate that regions are going to suffer significant financial hits which hopefully the WRU will alleviate by using their borrowing powers. The only positive I can see that is after a huge year of preparation for and competing in the World Cup our players like Hadleigh, Ken, Jake & Cawdor can get some much needed rest and be able to take part in a meaningful pre-season whenever that may occur. 

I see the pro 14 have taken the first step in naming Leinster as champions by cancelling, not postponing, the final scheduled to be played in Cardiff. Any final will be held at the best ranked team - which, yes you guessed it, is Leinster 2nds!!!!!
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 10:04am
This issue has been discussed in some detail on the football front, especially by the Chairman of Bournemouth, in the premier. 

Has everyone knows contracts have an end date, and if seasons are extended over that date then the players would probably not play for the current side especially if they have a new contract to go to, imagine getting injured and loosing the contract, he/she would be unemployed afterwards.

The more the situation continues I feel the season should just finish now, and the standings stay as they are, as GPR said "not too many precedents" set for this situation.

The English clubs are already asking players to take a cut on the salary, I sincerely hope the WRU take control and ensure that some of the loses are covered. 

Some clubs may have wonderful Insurance brokers working for them and their insurance covers such pandemics, many large restaurants and leisure facilities have it lets hope the Scarlets have it. 
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 10:55am
I agree and think all intelligence should be directed now in all sporting competitions to how to close competitions by June on the best possible basis . I guess relegation isn’t a problem for the Pro14 but calculating how to allocate prize money perhaps by weighing it, a bit more of a challenge . 

For other Welsh leagues it’s a real challenge with relegation and promotion. Those at the top of leagues must be sweating. Careful thoughts needed. 

Edited by reesytheexile - 20 March 2020 at 10:55am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 11:28am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I agree and think all intelligence should be directed now in all sporting competitions to how to close competitions by June on the best possible basis . I guess relegation isn’t a problem for the Pro14 but calculating how to allocate prize money perhaps by weighing it, a bit more of a challenge . 

For other Welsh leagues it’s a real challenge with relegation and promotion. Those at the top of leagues must be sweating. Careful thoughts needed. 

The obvious answer is to keep the welsh prem as it is and just promote the top team from the flight below and have 2 extra matches next season

I haven't looked but I'm guessing it's Pontypool?

No way we will get all the games in and start next season on time

The other clubs lower down are just going to have to stay in the divisions they are in at the moment.

Getting promoted / relegated is small fry compared to staying in existence in all honesty

Edited by RR1972 - 20 March 2020 at 11:41am
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The obvious answer is to keep the welsh prem as it is and just promote the top team from the flight below and have 2 extra matches next season

The other clubs lower down are just going to have to stay in the divisions they are in at the moment.

Getting promoted / relegated is small fry compared to staying in existence

the last few games of the season in football is being looked at as a Pre Season then few weeks before starting back the season. think we will see rugby adopting something similar.
Hendre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 11:44am
Pontypool are only 5 points clear of Bargoed so I can’t see how it would be acceptable to promote them on the basis of being top. It also appears that a number of other teams could still finish top, however unlikely that may be. Is a difficult one all round.
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 11:44am
If I'm a professional  player and my contract is out with a club on June 30th and it starts with a new club on 1.7. I'm only playing for that new club from 1.7 onwards and what happens to my old club is none of my concern.

Same as if I am a club and my player is out of contract on 30.6 and I no longer want him, sorry from 1.7.2020 your on your own fella

The major worry's pro clubs have is having to fund the contracts up to expiry date (30.6.)  with no match day revenue for that period of time

Tough tough times
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Getting promoted / relegated is small fry compared to staying in existence in all honesty
Yes Ponty have won all 16 games this season and have done a deal with the Council regarding fencing of  the ground and lease etc . They certainly deserve the opportunity to go back with the bigger boys ! As for Llanelli all I can say is please close the league today! We aren’t looking good but Bridgend is in worst state at bottom 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 12:30pm
If the seasons is deemed finished then regardless of how hard it is, either say leagues stand as it is or cancel the season. Regardless of the decision it will be horrible for half the sides and great for the other half. one can not keep everyone happy.

The important issue is that we are all here to watch the new season in Sept (or whenever it starts)

Difficult times results in difficult decisions.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

If the seasons is deemed finished then regardless of how hard it is, either say leagues stand as it is or cancel the season. Regardless of the decision it will be horrible for half the sides and great for the other half. one can not keep everyone happy.

The important issue is that we are all here to watch the new season in Sept (or whenever it starts)

Difficult times results in difficult decisions.

Cancel the season is probably fairer tbh that way everyone is back where they were

it is not fair but neither is deciding winners , relegations promotions with 3 months left

As you say whatever happens    some sides  will be happy some won't

I think the European places are pretty meaningless I doubt we will have cross border  European rugby and I very much doubt the pro 14 is going to be the pro 14 next season whatever happens
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2020 at 12:33pm
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2020 at 8:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic