Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > B&I Lions 2021
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lions 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 50>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

If anything the euros are what should be cancelled or postponed again. People mixing from all over Europe is a potential recipe for disaster. 
Baffled.

Which tournament are you talking about? And are supporters allowed to travel to it - whichever it is?
European Championship (football). Played in 13 different cities across Europe this summer. They haven’t said yet if there’ll be supporters from that country or travelling in the stadiums.

If there’s no restrictions on travel then the supporters are gonna go all over Europe. 
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 5:55pm
England have a home football international two days or so after Boris’s planned end to all restrictions. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 9:46am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Some much needed clarity has been given by the wonderful Ian McGeechan over possible selection for next year's tour. Now we will not agree with all his selections but I have to say his 15 is a lot closer to the one I would select than some others I have seen - Will Greenwood to name one.

Geech's team :- 

15. Hogg 14. Watson 13. Foxy 12. Tuilagi 11. Liam 10. Farrell 9. Cawdor
1. Sutherland 2. George 3. Furlong 4. Itoje 5. Ryan 6. Ritchie 7. Curry 8. Vunipola. 

Some very interesting points arise which tells me a lot about the current Welsh team firstly no Welsh forwards highlights our biggest weakness with many of those mentioned as contenders being the wrong side of 30 - Ken, AWJ, Tips & Faletau. Secondly Geech's is totally clear that Cawdor starts which I agree with - perhaps someone should tell Pivac!!!

My team would be a little different with Adams replacing Liam & Liam replacing Hogg. I also think that Lawes would be close to playing at 6 to combat the Boks lineout although I thought Ritchie was outstanding in the 6 nations. What is without doubt is that Scotland will have a far bigger representation than in previous recent tours. 

I posted McGeechan's Lions team back in April 2020 - boy how things can change. Tuiliagi is still not back, Foxy is struggling big time, Farrell needs some very big performances and Cawdor is under serious pressure from Hardy. LRZ is pushing Hogg & Liam for a spot. 

In the forwards some of our Welsh boys have really stepped up to the plate with Wyn, Ken, Francis, AWJ & Faletau all pushing very hard & AWJ's captaincy way ahead of any of the other contenders. Billy Vunipola has been a shadow of his former self and the calls for Sam Simmonds to be picked at 8 for England are getting very loud indeed. For him not to even feature in the squad is crazy. Another total outsider who could be in with a shout is Rhys Priestland. He still takes the ball flat, has a sweet range of passing skills and he has broken Jonny Wilkinson's record for most consecutive goal kicks. I have seen nothing from three of the top contenders for the 10 shirt so far this 6 nations - Biggar, Sexton & Farrell all look way off the pace. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 10:02am
Simmons is top classat 8. I have  been beating his drum for ages bet gats picks him
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Simmons is top classat 8. I have  been beating his drum for ages bet gats picks him

I wouldn't be at all surprised RR. His power is immense. His try scoring feats are off the scale & his bursts from the back of a scrum eat up the ground with raw pace and power. He is a real pleasure to watch. Bath just couldn't handle him yesterday and they had a back row of Underhill, Faletau & Mercer which is not exactly a soft touch. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 10:30am
I expect Gats would enjoy the added bonus of a little dig at Fast Eddie/Groucho Jones in starting Simmonds for the Lions, if he reckoned he deserved the jersey on merit.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 10:44am
He and faletau at 6/8 would be great but not the biggest. If you pick those 2 youve got to go for a bigger 7 in the frame of Curry or Watson. SA will try to dominate the pack so we need a more aggresive back row
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 11:44am
Underhill is a unit gats type of player to, tupric on bench for when game opens up

Edited by RR1972 - 07 March 2021 at 11:44am
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 1:11pm
Looks like every position is up for grabs atm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 7:58am
Well now that we have had some more performances under our belts anyone have any thoughts. My twopenneth :-

1. Two Irish players who have one hand on Lions starting shirts - Beirne at 6 & Henshaw at 12. Can't see any better options out there at this point in time. Beirne has everything Gatland will be looking at to counter the Boks - huge workrate, fantastic over the ball and very good lineout operator. 

2. Russell will not make the 23.

3. James Lowe and Van der Merwe don't look defensively sound enough to even make the squad. 

4. The Welsh starting front row of Wyn, Ken & Francis are all in with a very good shout at getting selected for the squad. 

5. After seeing the shocking Scottish lineout performance yesterday - losing 8 from 10 was it - I don't see any of their front 5 making the 23 or perhaps even the overall squad. 

My 23 for what its worth :-

15. Hogg 14. Watson 13. North 12. Henshaw 11. LRZ 10. Farrell 9. Cawdor
1. Wyn 2. Ken 3. Furlong 4. Itoje 5. AWJ (C) 6. Beirne 7. Curry 8. Faletau

16. Cowan-Dickie 17. Mako 18. Sinckler 19. Ryan 20. Navidi 21. Murray 22. Sexton 23. Liam
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 8:17am
I agree that Watson & LRZ will be the wingers, I rate Watson over May every day of the week. If North continues as he has been at 13 he will be a shoe-in there. It's a toss up between Hogg & Liam at 15, Hogg on his day is unplayable but he drifts in & out of games. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 9:35am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Well now that we have had some more performances under our belts anyone have any thoughts. My twopenneth :-

1. Two Irish players who have one hand on Lions starting shirts - Beirne at 6 & Henshaw at 12. Can't see any better options out there at this point in time. Beirne has everything Gatland will be looking at to counter the Boks - huge workrate, fantastic over the ball and very good lineout operator. 

2. Russell will not make the 23.

3. James Lowe and Van der Merwe don't look defensively sound enough to even make the squad. 

4. The Welsh starting front row of Wyn, Ken & Francis are all in with a very good shout at getting selected for the squad. 

5. After seeing the shocking Scottish lineout performance yesterday - losing 8 from 10 was it - I don't see any of their front 5 making the 23 or perhaps even the overall squad. 

My 23 for what its worth :-

15. Hogg 14. Watson 13. North 12. Henshaw 11. LRZ 10. Farrell 9. Cawdor
1. Wyn 2. Ken 3. Furlong 4. Itoje 5. AWJ (C) 6. Beirne 7. Curry 8. Faletau

16. Cowan-Dickie 17. Mako 18. Sinckler 19. Ryan 20. Navidi 21. Murray 22. Sexton 23. Liam
Good side. With regards the Scotland front five I do think Rory Sutherland will be involved.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 9:39am
I think Watson will be involved in the non test squads but can't see him stepping ahead of Tipuric & Curry as they are far better footballers than Watson, but he has been Scotlands best player.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 9:41am
Tend to agree with you both that Sutherland & Watson will make the wider squad but they will have to go some to make the test 23 if injuries don't intervene. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 10:25am
I do think 9 is a bit of a weakness. In all four of the home nations there are numerous good scrum halfs but no one close to the level of De Klerk and Dupont. Who Gatland will go with in the end I have no idea!
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 11:00am
Youngs was very good forEngland on Sat but if Tomos Williams is fit he should start with the Gibson park on bench. Cawdor not been too good this season so be lucky to go. 
Biggar has been best ten this campaign and I really think Farrell is more of a liability than an asset.
Tuperic has to start he never has a bad game Curry been lost without Underhill though did play very well last Sat.

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 50>
  Share Topic