Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > B&I Lions 2021
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lions 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 50>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:54am
Some reasons for (surprise?) omissions and selections - either from the coaches, or my own guesses:

Foxy - not fully recovered his form post injury (Tuilagi - not played since his injury) - leading to the selection of other physical centres (Aki, Harris - Henshaw was always going) Ringrose and Slade not physical enough; Duhan VDM picked in part for physicality ahead of May

Sexton - too many HIAs, concerns about his durability

Daly - not in great form, but seen as versatile, plus did OK on last tour (lucky boy, IMO)

Cawdor - physical and confrontational - seen as assets v SA - not a real surprise at all, but he has those assets over other possible choices

Hill over Ryan - see Cawdor - a very big guy (I'd have preferred Ryan, but can see Gatland's POV)

Porter over Sinckler - a better scrummager, and can play both sides - not so good as a carrier... can't afford to buckle in the tight v SA (I think Francis was ahead of Sinckler, myself)

Simmonds over Billy V... Billy not shown great form in 6N, Gats wants a few in the back row who can undo SA with footwork rather than just act as bulldozers - quite a few of those elsewhere in the squad!

Navidi - very unlucky (IMO) to do his shoulder - Gats wants all the back rowers fit from day 1.

As has been pointed out - injuries between now and the end of the season, and on tour, will no doubt lead to some of the reserves being called up anyway.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:15am
As soon as I heard Biggar's name I knew Sexton wouldn't be there. My guess is Biggar to start the tests with Russell coming on with 20 to go against a tiring defence.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:25am
Not sure why Lawes was selected, lack of game time against him.  Any suggestions who should have gone in his place?
Joshua24:15
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:54am
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Not sure why Lawes was selected, lack of game time against him.  Any suggestions who should have gone in his place?

Only reason I can see is that he can pack down like Beirne at 4, 5 & 6. I would have taken James Ryan in his place.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:58am

As with a number of the selections Lawes will have to prove his fitness. Gats likes his confrontational style which will be needed in bucket loads against the Boks. He can play 2nd row & 6 as can Beirne, Henderson & Itoje so gives them flexibility. I see the Lions using a big 6 to combat Pieter Steph & to win some lineout ball. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 10:22am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

As with a number of the selections Lawes will have to prove his fitness. Gats likes his confrontational style which will be needed in bucket loads against the Boks. He can play 2nd row & 6 as can Beirne, Henderson & Itoje so gives them flexibility. I see the Lions using a big 6 to combat Pieter Steph & to win some lineout ball. 

It’s exactly this - he wants 3 physical 2nd rows on the pitch to help secure lineout. I feel like Sam Underhill, Navidi or CJ Stander were more unlucky not to go over Ryan. 

You’d say this squads missing an out and out 6 but you wouldn’t say Itjoe, Lawes or Henderson lack what it takes to be an enforcer. Then playing back row probably allows Beirne a bit more time to steal ball.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 10:28am
I think Navidi is the unluckiest & for me he is the next back rower in the departure lounge. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 11:08am
Probably stating the obvious but neutralising Faf must be high on Gatland's list. Must have influenced selection of Cawdor and possibly faster back row forwards. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 11:27am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Probably stating the obvious but neutralising Faf must be high on Gatland's list. Must have influenced selection of Cawdor and possibly faster back row forwards. 

Faf makes SA tick - that's also why Gatland has focused on forwards who won't be going back in the scrums or mauls, which would give him more time to control the game.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I think Navidi is the unluckiest & for me he is the next back rower in the departure lounge. 
Should be on the tour would have been one of first on plane for me was outstanding in 6 nations. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
scarletsim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 2:38am
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that South Africa are going to be under-prepared heading into this Lions tour? - their last test match was the WC Final! I'm not writing them off of course, but lack of matches can't be a positive for them 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 9:43am
Originally posted by scarletsim scarletsim wrote:

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that South Africa are going to be under-prepared heading into this Lions tour? - their last test match was the WC Final! I'm not writing them off of course, but lack of matches can't be a positive for them 

Good point. Many of their players are based in the NH though so will be match fit but lack of test matches will make a difference. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 7:47pm
Covid cases in SA have been quite low ( and stable) since early February, but the last few days have seen rises. Being nerdy and obliged to track several countries case levels, I’ve become quite tuned in to trend spotting.
Now is the time for the Govt to act to manage a possible surge.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:40pm
Lrz had a great game again sat him and watson serious gas on the wings
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Should be on the tour would have been one of first on plane for me was outstanding in 6 nations. 
out of curio where would you play him 6 or 7? 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 5:06am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

[QUOTE=Fscarlet]I think Navidi is the unluckiest & for me he is the next back rower in the departure lounge. 
out of curio where would you play him 6 or 7? [/QUOTE

Starting 6 with Curry just about 7 infront of Tuperic 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 50>
  Share Topic