Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > B&I Lions 2021
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lions 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 50>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Cofi Cofi wrote:

At first I was shocked that Josh Adams was not in, but I think it's probably the right call. Becoming a father for the first time gets some getting used to. However, next week when he's had more time to process I'm sure he'll regain his place.
One aspect I find a bit worrying is the fact that the front three haven't played together in any matches.  I don't dislike the choice, just wish they'd played together before. Timing is crucial.

It’s not as if he’s there with the child. I think it’s a ridiculous excuse. 
Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 1:33am
What I read from that is that Gatland was looking for an excuse not to pick one of the players and that was it. 

It could have been a missed tackle, a bump in training or one occasion that VdM/Adams/Watson got turned over - but none of those came so the emotional rollercoaster of Adams’ week ended up being the justification.

Personally I think Gats has never liked small wingers (dropped Shane Williams, loved North and Cuthbert) as he feels they are vulnerable under the high ball. Van Der Merwe being that bit taller than Adams gives the Lions a chance to attack Kolbe with Biggar’s kicks. 

Gats likes predictability and you know what you’re getting with Duhan. (In defence is another question)

Edited by dyniol53 - 22 July 2021 at 1:34am
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 2:02am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

What I read from that is that Gatland was looking for an excuse not to pick one of the players and that was it. 

It could have been a missed tackle, a bump in training or one occasion that VdM/Adams/Watson got turned over - but none of those came so the emotional rollercoaster of Adams’ week ended up being the justification.

Personally I think Gats has never liked small wingers (dropped Shane Williams, loved North and Cuthbert) as he feels they are vulnerable under the high ball. Van Der Merwe being that bit taller than Adams gives the Lions a chance to attack Kolbe with Biggar’s kicks. 

Gats likes predictability and you know what you’re getting with Duhan. (In defence is another question)
I disagree. I think this is a case of Gatland losing the selection debate to Townsend. Adams isn’t a small wing either, he’s really powerful and I know for a fact Gatland rates him very highly. If the Lions lose I think Adams will be straight back in next week
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 7:57am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I disagree. I think this is a case of Gatland losing the selection debate to Townsend. Adams isn’t a small wing either, he’s really powerful and I know for a fact Gatland rates him very highly. If the Lions lose I think Adams will be straight back in next week

Yes, I agree - and there is very little to choose between Adams and Watson in terms of size - Adams is a couple of kg heavier, Watson a few cm taller - but Adams is good in defence (probably better than the other two) and is one of the most alert players I've seen in a long while - he rally does seem to make the most of any chances that come his way. Is he distracted by the birth? I don't know - but it would be the only reason not to pick him, IMO. I'm not convinced! 
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 10:20am
"16 - Ken Owens..."

Not the number the Sheriff probably wanted to hear, but he's in the 23 and will no doubt play an important part on Saturday.

Great insight in his chat with Will Greenwood earlier this week:

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

"16 - Ken Owens..."

Not the number the Sheriff probably wanted to hear, but he's in the 23 and will no doubt play an important part on Saturday.

Great insight in his chat with Will Greenwood earlier this week:

Watched this last night, was very good & quite funny. As always Ken spoke well.

I know he will be gutted not to be starting but LCD has been the best hooker on tour so I'm sure he will understand & be ready to get on the pitch.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 10:56am
Yeah I think the Townsend thing might have come into it. 

When I say gatland doesn’t like small wingers, I think that’s him thinking about targeting Kolbe, not a reflection on Adams.

With VdM being 193cm and Kolbe 171cm there’s just an immediate mid-match that Gatland can exploit. 

Whereas Adams and Watson are 183cm and 188cm respectively. 

Then I think Adams and VdM are both normally left wingers whereas Watson is normally right so that gives Watson a bit of a simple plus in that space.

Edited by dyniol53 - 22 July 2021 at 10:56am
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 11:30am
The most confusing one for me is Conan. 

With 90 cap Faletau there, and European player of the year/premiership top try scorer Simmonds, or even the option of Curry & Watson 7 & 8 - I thought there were 3 better options than Conan, but obviously there’s something there that Gatland/McBryde like. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 11:31am
Interestingly Conan was the bookies least favourite to start the 1st test before the tour - 17/1.

Next lowest we’re:
Rory Sutherland and Jonny Hill at 11/1
Elliot Daly and Zander Faegerson at 9/1
Bundee Aki 5/1
Lawes, Cowan Dickie and George 4.5/1

Top faves were:
Hogg 1.04
Henshaw & Itoje 1.1
Furlong 1.12 & Faletau 1.16
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 11:51am
I'm not sure Faletau has played amazingly well enough on the tour to warrant a start if that makes sense, Conan has been busy & stood out though I thought Simmonds would start if Faletau didn't. 

Having Curry or Watson is a no starter for me.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 1:35pm
Now I thought Conan was the guy to pick on form but I thought Gats would have gone with Faletau. Conan has carried more and harder than either of the other 8's in fairness. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 1:37pm

Yeah I think the Townsend thing might have come into it. 

When I say gatland doesn’t like small wingers, I think that’s him thinking about targeting Kolbe, not a reflection on Adams.

With VdM being 193cm and Kolbe 171cm there’s just an immediate mid-match that Gatland can exploit. 

Whereas Adams and Watson are 183cm and 188cm respectively. 

Then I think Adams and VdM are both normally left wingers whereas Watson is normally right so that gives Watson a bit of a simple plus in that space.

To take advantage of Kolbe's lack of height you have to kick to him. That didn't work out too well last time. Huge pressure on Biggar, Townsend & Daly to get that part of the game spot on - one mistake it could be game over. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 9:33am
Marius Jonker has been appointed as the TMO for the series following the news that Brendon Pickering, from New Zealand, couldn't travel to South Africa for COVID reasons. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Marius Jonker has been appointed as the TMO for the series following the news that Brendon Pickering, from New Zealand, couldn't travel to South Africa for COVID reasons. 

Totally get why Gatland is furious. Games are won/lost on TMO decisions - the guy should be a neutral full stop. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 10:51am
I totally agree with the fact Jonker shouldn't be the TMO, but I also feel Gatland is playing games, and we all know that he is a past master on that. He is angry but how angry, and what is he telling the players behind close doors. 

It is ridiculous that they can not find a neutral TMO. The IRB (or whatever the current name is) should have foreseen this and had a few in the country for a few weeks in readiness for the series.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 11:12am
I'm not sure why they even need to be in the country. Surely they can get to somewhere with the appropriate facilities.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 50>
  Share Topic