Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sir Keir Starmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2021 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

If any govt just seized companys assests with no compensation no companys would ever invest there again. It would make them a financial pariah

Yep, the ability to seize a company/assets on a whim is the reason Chinese billionaires buy multiple houses in London, Vancouver and New York and western billionaires don’t have houses in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2021 at 7:23am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

If any govt just seized companys assests with no compensation no companys would ever invest there again. It would make them a financial pariah

Yep, the ability to seize a company/assets on a whim is the reason Chinese billionaires buy multiple houses in London, Vancouver and New York and western billionaires don’t have houses in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen.

Don't think I suggested seizing assets - just saying there is no set rule on valuation. Government is in an ideal position to make life very difficult for companies if it chose to - faced with a difficult future trading environment shareholders may consider offers they may not have otherwise considered. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2021 at 4:10pm
the so called low tax tories have just raise vat from 5% to a whopping 12.5% as usual their rhetoric doesnt match up with the reality, it does the opposite
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2021 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

the so called low tax tories have just raise vat from 5% to a whopping 12.5% as usual their rhetoric doesnt match up with the reality, it does the opposite

In fairness Roy the VAT on restauarants etc was 20% pre pandemic. They gave then a temporary reduction to 5% to help through the pandemic & it was always going to get back to 20% eventually via the 12.5% this month. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2021 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

In fairness Roy the VAT on restauarants etc was 20% pre pandemic. They gave then a temporary reduction to 5% to help through the pandemic & it was always going to get back to 20% eventually via the 12.5% this month. 

Up to killing the firstborn, is there anything a little below that which will make you admit that Johnson is a liar, a shyster, a conman and an absolute disgrace as PM?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2021 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Up to killing the firstborn, is there anything a little below that which will make you admit that Johnson is a liar, a shyster, a conman and an absolute disgrace as PM?

For me, when Starmer says “he is not an evil man, but he is a trivial one” is more accurate than the biblical reference of killing the firstborn. 

In the history books Johnson will be a footnote at most
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2021 at 11:29pm
tories always raise vat higher than labour which makes an absolute mockery of their claims to be the low tax tories, low tax only for select elite groups...magie thatcher milk snatcher did the same and doubled vat in her first few yrs. not sure which one banged vat on nappies mind Unhappy
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2021 at 12:29am
Is the colour scarlet why this is a Labour forum?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2021 at 8:40am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

You really are confusing Aber - perhaps you could explain to me how you could possibly associate me pointing out what is factual about the VAT rates above with me being a supporter of Boris Johnson???? Your continuing hysteria regarding Boris and Brexit is quite amusing to say the least. 
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2021 at 10:07am
aber
I think it is possible to agree entirely with you on Boris and still support Brexit. The two are not equivalent.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2021 at 1:12pm

tories always raise vat higher than labour which makes an absolute mockery of their claims to be the low tax tories, low tax only for select elite groups...magie thatcher milk snatcher did the same and doubled vat in her first few yrs. not sure which one banged vat on nappies mind Unhappy
I don’t agree with you on this specific tax rise as it’s just reversing a temporary tax cut (and why should hospitality have lower tax rates than, say, retail)? However you’re point about Tories not being as low tax as they make out is true - even under Margaret Thatcher government spending as a % of GDP actually increased! The important thing is WHO the Tories cut spending and increase taxes on (which is generally the poor).
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2021 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

I don’t agree with you on this specific tax rise as it’s just reversing a temporary tax cut (and why should hospitality have lower tax rates than, say, retail)? However you’re point about Tories not being as low tax as they make out is true - even under Margaret Thatcher government spending as a % of GDP actually increased! The important thing is WHO the Tories cut spending and increase taxes on (which is generally the poor).

Yes this was a temporary change being reversed but Cameron raised vat from 15 to 20% and maggie doubled it too...I think Im right saying ted heath brought it in at the start after the EEC conjured it up out of thin air...

As for hitting the poorer working people , its certainly true with vat. It was falsely brought in on so called luxury goods only....But guess what? They then put it on fuel nappies foods and a ton of other essential stuff so again it hit the poorer working classes more as a proportion of their incomes. Oh and the rich can always find some way to claim it all back too. Fair play she was some kind of evil genius.

Edited by roy munster - 02 October 2021 at 2:25pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2021 at 9:55am

Yes this was a temporary change being reversed but Cameron raised vat from 15 to 20% and maggie doubled it too...I think Im right saying ted heath brought it in at the start after the EEC conjured it up out of thin air...

As for hitting the poorer working people , its certainly true with vat. It was falsely brought in on so called luxury goods only....But guess what? They then put it on fuel nappies foods and a ton of other essential stuff so again it hit the poorer working classes more as a proportion of their incomes. Oh and the rich can always find some way to claim it all back too. Fair play she was some kind of evil genius.

I agree with that Roy - luxury goods really does stretch it sometimes when the elderly have to worry about paying VAT on incontinence pads which, of course, is laughable. VAT is an insidious tax which pervades society. Successive governments have shied away, understandably, from using tax rates as the only way to raise funding as the rate increase would, of course, get them unelected. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2021 at 12:01pm

I agree with that Roy - luxury goods really does stretch it sometimes when the elderly have to worry about paying VAT on incontinence pads which, of course, is laughable. VAT is an insidious tax which pervades society. Successive governments have shied away, understandably, from using tax rates as the only way to raise funding as the rate increase would, of course, get them unelected. 

I think you’re right - what’s a luxury for some is a necessity for others. 

They should probably scrap VAT and replace it with a sort of carbon tax calculation for consumption. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2021 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I think you’re right - what’s a luxury for some is a necessity for others. 

They should probably scrap VAT and replace it with a sort of carbon tax calculation for consumption. 

I like the sound of that idea Dyniol. I swear it has nothing to do with us just acquiring a plug in hybrid vehicle. Embarrassed
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:35am
This is a very brave but very honourable move by a political leader that has humility and compassion for the plight of the electorate. We need to remember that this had been investigated last year and now rules were found to be broken, so he was then well within his right as leader of the opposition to challenge BOJO and Sunak over Partygate - which the Met have charged them over, and it’s believed that more fines are to come. 
I hope he knows what he’s doing, as a former head of the CPS he probably feel confident that the Police (who have already investigated the incident and found that no rules were broken) will do so again, exonerated him and then putting the pressure back on the Tory party for insisting the police, that refused to investiga Cummins visit to Barnard Castle, to reinvestigate the incident.
If his gamble doesn’t pay off then it’s interesting times ahead for labour - Raynor would have to go as well (as she was also present), Corbin still has allies in the party (unfortunately), but I’d be happy with a leadership contest involving Wes Streeting, Lisa Nandy and I would hope that Andy Burnham could be persuaded to join any contest, interestingly all 3 are from the North, where the electorate have been promised so much in the last general election by the Tories (levelling up) only to then get a much watered down version.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930>
  Share Topic