Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tour de France

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tour de France
    Posted: 07 September 2020 at 1:34pm
I have become a new fan of the tour on Eurosport. The fitness levels of these guys is truly unbelievable. Also the commentary team are excellent in guiding you through the beautiful French countryside with daily recipes/wine matches etc. An all round good watch.
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2020 at 1:55pm
Been a big fan of the race for many years. Usually limit myself to the ITV4 highlights package though. 
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2020 at 5:20pm
A truly great sporting event which apparently is a great thing to attend in the flesh.  I’ve been hooked on it for years now but never got round to travelling to France to watch it.  
Some family members and friends have done so and say that it’s a great spectacle and well worth the time and money doing so.  Unfortunately it usually takes place during school term and this year hasn’t Ben any different, plus COVID-19 and self quarantining.
I watch it live at weekends but like you watch the tour highlights in the week.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2020 at 6:22pm
Once caught a stage north east of Paris on the way to Compiegne, I think. It was a day when the riders were on a go slow for some disagreement with the race organisers. They passed by at a gentle pace with a buzz of conversation. No breakaway or stragglers either.

The competition for goodies thrown from the commercial caravan of sponsors etc was quite fierce. 

The idea of sitting by the road, in a group, watching a time trial provides entertainment through the day especially if supported by modern tech, is appealing. However, the practicalities of getting a good spot are many. 

It’s difficult to beat the glorious sights that the TV provides, though.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2020 at 7:14pm
Great to see the Clermont blue and yellow smoke yesterday and the flags today, while it heads up, down (repeat) and through the Massif Centrale 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2020 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Great to see the Clermont blue and yellow smoke yesterday and the flags today, while it heads up, down (repeat) and through the Massif Centrale 

Yes its a truly beautiful area. Watching the final push on Friday's stage ( all steep uphill) wore me out just looking. These guys push themselves to exhaustion & beyond, get some sleep and do it all over again the following day. As professional sportsmen/women they certainly earn their money. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

A truly great sporting event which apparently is a great thing to attend in the flesh.  I’ve been hooked on it for years now but never got round to travelling to France to watch it.  
Some family members and friends have done so and say that it’s a great spectacle and well worth the time and money doing so.  Unfortunately it usually takes place during school term and this year hasn’t Ben any different, plus COVID-19 and self quarantining.

it is indeed, though you need to know that - unless you are on a really steep upslope - the peloton shoots by in a few seconds, in a blur!

It's great fun, though. About an hour before the cyclists arrive, the publicity convoy passes through the villages, throwing out freebies to eager kids (and some adults). Some of the vehicles are 'altered' to represent the products - think 'Pimp My Ride' but with a commercial intent. One minicar was done up to look like a hamburger, but my favourite had an enormous 'dead bluebottle' upside down on the roof - advertising fly-spray!

INEOS definitely shot themselves in the foot this year, going with only one leader (Bernal) who seems to still be suffering with his back - it gave him trouble in his previous race - he's lost another 27 minutes (!) today. They should have taken Geraint Thomas, who came second in Tirreno-Adriatico, and is running into form nicely in time for the Giro d'Italia.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 8:29am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

it is indeed, though you need to know that - unless you are on a really steep upslope - the peloton shoots by in a few seconds, in a blur!

It's great fun, though. About an hour before the cyclists arrive, the publicity convoy passes through the villages, throwing out freebies to eager kids (and some adults). Some of the vehicles are 'altered' to represent the products - think 'Pimp My Ride' but with a commercial intent. One minicar was done up to look like a hamburger, but my favourite had an enormous 'dead bluebottle' upside down on the roof - advertising fly-spray!

INEOS definitely shot themselves in the foot this year, going with only one leader (Bernal) who seems to still be suffering with his back - it gave him trouble in his previous race - he's lost another 27 minutes (!) today. They should have taken Geraint Thomas, who came second in Tirreno-Adriatico, and is running into form nicely in time for the Giro d'Italia.

You are right about Ineos. They clearly have internal problems getting their egos in line. Geraint & Bernal both were not prepared not to be the team leader. Don't know why they didn't play it as in previous years and see who was in best condition after the first two weeks. They have missed Geraint's abilities no doubt. Jumbo-Visma on the other hand have played a blinder controlling from the front and giving Roglic an armchair ride. Dumoulin & his teammates have been totally selfless. 

Still not over of course but its going to take an almighty effort from one of the top 4/5 contenders to beat Roglic. Watch out for Podgecar on today's stage. He's got the firepower to beat his friend & fellow Slovenian.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

You are right about Ineos. They clearly have internal problems getting their egos in line. Geraint & Bernal both were not prepared not to be the team leader. Don't know why they didn't play it as in previous years and see who was in best condition after the first two weeks. They have missed Geraint's abilities no doubt. Jumbo-Visma on the other hand have played a blinder controlling from the front and giving Roglic an armchair ride. Dumoulin & his teammates have been totally selfless. 

Still not over of course but its going to take an almighty effort from one of the top 4/5 contenders to beat Roglic. Watch out for Podgecar on today's stage. He's got the firepower to beat his friend & fellow Slovenian.

An excellent summary.

INEOS should have gone with two leaders, Bernal and Geraint - and let the road decide - as in previous years. It was daft to only pick Bernal, given doubts - since borne out - about his fitness. Brailsford, of course, is taking a Trump-like line, and admits to no mistakes.

Although Jumbo-Visma are by a long way the strongest team, I wonder if Pogacar has enough of an edge in the mountains to outlast Roglic and steal enough time to win the tour? Usually, you need team-mates; we'll see if he can hang in there and cause a shock - he has the  individual talent.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 4:33pm
Bernal only won the tour last year because he had the support of Geraint. Bernal is a good rider but he hasnt shown any form similar to last years win, yet he wasnt dropped like geraint and froome. Brainsford has dropped a right clanger in not choosing either froome or geraint. On form, Ineos havent a real condender for the tour
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Bernal only won the tour last year because he had the support of Geraint. Bernal is a good rider but he hasnt shown any form similar to last years win, yet he wasnt dropped like geraint and froome. Brainsford has dropped a right clanger in not choosing either froome or geraint. On form, Ineos havent a real condender for the tour

Froome would have been no use, as he hasn't recovered fully yet from that really bad crash - he was miles behind in the Tirreno-Adritatico race last week. Geraint was second - 'nuff said!
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 6:25pm
Geraint would be in top 5 today no probs. He akways lifts his game to big races. Froome, i agree, has dropped back. I think geraint would have done a far better job in the mountains.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 8:21pm
In fairness to Brailsford Ineos did go to the tour with two leaders- Bernal and the winner of last year’s Giro (can’t remember his name). Before the tour Geraint’s form wasn’t that great so I can understand why they didn’t pick him. A mistake, yes, but not a clanger in my opinion.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

In fairness to Brailsford Ineos did go to the tour with two leaders- Bernal and the winner of last year’s Giro (can’t remember his name). Before the tour Geraint’s form wasn’t that great so I can understand why they didn’t pick him. A mistake, yes, but not a clanger in my opinion.

I might concede that Carapaz wasn't a bad call - he had a decent ride today out in front, until he got passed in the last few km - but picking Bernal was daft, given his injury problem which led to him quitting his previous race. You don't take on the TDF carrying an injury. Besides, the rest of the squad have not been up to snuff - if they had to go with Bernal (as the holder), adding Geraint and Carapaz would have made the team stronger overall, and harder to mark.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 10:26pm

Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

I might concede that Carapaz wasn't a bad call - he had a decent ride today out in front, until he got passed in the last few km - but picking Bernal was daft, given his injury problem which led to him quitting his previous race. You don't take on the TDF carrying an injury. Besides, the rest of the squad have not been up to snuff - if they had to go with Bernal (as the holder), adding Geraint and Carapaz would have made the team stronger overall, and harder to mark.
If Bernal was injured before the Tour then I agree completely. Wasn’t aware that he’d picked up the niggle beforehand, I’d just assumed that it was something he suffered during the tour. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2020 at 7:50am
Apparently he had a back injury. To be fair to Bernal he outrode both Geraint & Froome in the build up events but Geraint, as can be seen by his recent performance, was building his fitness. Froome at the moment is way off the pace in his recovery from horrific injuries. The importance of having a strong focused team is not rocket science to Brailsford so he must carry the can.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic