Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time For Change.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 47>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time For Change.
    Posted: 24 October 2020 at 9:31am
I think it's painfully obvious that Delaney is not the right man for the job,and the only question to be considered is when he should be replaced.Personally,I feel the board should act immediately.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

I think it's painfully obvious that Delaney is not the right man for the job,and the only question to be considered is when he should be replaced.Personally,I feel the board should act immediately.

How much would Pat Lam cost?
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 9:42am
pat lam wouldn't come to our budget,something needs to change because i have seen nothing this season so far(early i know)that suggests to me we are going into games with a strategy to win games(i know we won last night) 5 weeks ago we were being touted as the best welsh region whereas at the moment we don't look anything like that,last night in the last 5 mins when they were pressing our line we forced a turnover which looked like we had saved the day,one phase of play and we were back under the cosh where are the leaders to get us up field and play the game out in their half,kicking the ball away has taken us back 10 years and is dreadful to watch.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 9:55am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

pat lam wouldn't come to our budget,something needs to change because i have seen nothing this season so far(early i know)that suggests to me we are going into games with a strategy to win games(i know we won last night) 5 weeks ago we were being touted as the best welsh region whereas at the moment we don't look anything like that,last night in the last 5 mins when they were pressing our line we forced a turnover which looked like we had saved the day,one phase of play and we were back under the cosh where are the leaders to get us up field and play the game out in their half,kicking the ball away has taken us back 10 years and is dreadful to watch.

Just dreaming Nige. Everything about our game at the moment is cautious & lacking ambition. Players who want to play with their heads up and get the ball wide are not being selected - Asquith is a prime example. Also, great prospect that Jac Morgan is, he is very much a defensive choice whereas Dan Davies is quicker and looks to take people on - remember last season in Dublin him skinning Rob Kearney & giving a great inside ball to Hardy for a score. Talent that has been attracted by the Scarlet attacking philosophy will end up looking elsewhere unless we have a change of mindset from the top. 
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 9:56am
we appear to be moving away from our history and DNA under Delaney.  
Our backs looked like they had never met each other let alone played any rugby together, based on last night’s performance.  Passes were mostly behind the player or just so slow and telegraphed that they were being knocked backwards or knocked the ball on.
To be fair, the rolling maul was quite effective and the scrum stood up well, but the line out still didn’t function properly.
Perhaps we need to give him another 1 or 2 games to see if he is able to bring back the sparkle that we have played with throughout our history, but from what I’ve seen this season unfortunately we are moving in the wrong direction.
If we don’t change direction very soon, we risk losing a lot of fans, which would be disastrous.

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 9:57am
We've always gained a lot of recognition for having an open style of play with creative players. Loads of fans of other sides, even welsh ones, have told me their respect for us for this over the years. 

The game's changed I know and has become a lot more physical, size-based and negative let's face it. Skills and attacking ambition come with high risk, a much higher error count which is then punished to defeat sides. It should never be the case you want as little of the ball as possible and this is sad to see.
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 10:00am
Getting rid of a coach mid-season is never good and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. From what I have seen so far I agree that Delaney doesn't appear to be the right man for the job. That said, we are very early into the season yet. He has time to turn this boat around, but that needs to happen pretty sharpish. Between now and the end of November we have Edinburgh, Zebre, Connacht, Ulster and Leinster. How many wins do people think we need as proof that the team is moving forward? For me it would have to be at least 3 out of 5. I'm tempted to say 4 out of 5 but at the moment that seems wholly unrealistic. By the end of November the board should be ready to make a decision on whether to start the hunt for a new head coach for next season or not.
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 10:06am
The board (as much as I think we have a great board here at the Scarlets) should be answerable too. Our style is and when we've been successful always has been to play a running, attack-minded game. They must have done their research into what style of rugby Delaney would have the team playing under his leadership?
pillory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pillory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

we appear to be moving away from our history and DNA under Delaney.  

That's the key point.
It's clear that the board has successfully hired not just for an understanding of culture but for an impetus toward running rugby.

On the other hand, however, we now have a new chairman, so...
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 10:15am
We've done better in our first 3 games of this season, than we did in the first 3 games of the season when we won the league.

It's poor, but it's still very early to be talking about changes to personnel just yet.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

We've done better in our first 3 games of this season, than we did in the first 3 games of the season when we won the league.

It's poor, but it's still very early to be talking about changes to personnel just yet.
comparisons to the season we won the league are pointless,we played a style of rugby that took everyone by surprise and they couldn't cope and it was fantastic to watch,the following season everyone had sussed us out and we have struggled since and now we are back the the darks days of kick and not chase.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 10:22am
Delaney was a reasonable continuity appointment given it was a happy camp last year with Brad, but it should have been on the proviso that a senior attack coach with pedigree was coming in as his no.2. We’ve got the best funded squad we’ve ever had. It’s obvious that Flanagan and Whiffen don’t have the pedigree to be leading a roster of Lions and international stars. 

It’s not looking good for this group to be honest and I’d be surprised if there weren’t some new faces next season.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 10:23am

comparisons to the season we won the league are pointless,we played a style of rugby that took everyone by surprise and they couldn't cope and it was fantastic to watch,the following season everyone had sussed us out and we have struggled since and now we are back the the darks days of kick and not chase.

The following season we got to the PRO14 final and European Cup semi final.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 10:25am

Are straws on the list of goods that can be supplied during the circuit-break of the almost 17 days that remain?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 10:26am
3 league games. No knee jerk reaction required, am confident we will return our usual style of play. Forward platform looks solid and that is a step forward. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

The following season we got to the PRO14 final and European Cup semi final.
sorry mike the season after was the one i meant Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 47>
  Share Topic