Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time For Change.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 47>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 6:49am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Originally posted by mr geraint mr geraint wrote:

Chopping and changing?

We had Pivac for years.
Then Moar, but he went to NZ
Then one of his back room stepped up.

That is the opposite of chopping and changing. That’s steady as she goes.

ClapClapClap
And Glenn was personally recruited by Brad Mooar ( who obviously rated him) and who went on to coach with the mighty All Blacks coaching elite, yet ‘Jim ‘from Dafen and ‘Jack ‘ from Pwll don’t rate him and want him out . Funny old World isn’t it 🤨
then they lost to argentina for the first time WinkWinkLOL
Sponsored Links

mr geraint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr geraint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Originally posted by mr geraint mr geraint wrote:

Chopping and changing?

We had Pivac for years.
Then Moar, but he went to NZ
Then one of his back room stepped up.

That is the opposite of chopping and changing. That’s steady as she goes.

ClapClapClap

If Peel is appointed head coach he will be the 6th head coach in 7 years.

Just stating facts.

Eh?

Pivac had five years (2014-2019), Moar had (less than) one, Delaney has had one so far... That's 3 head coaches in 7 years with Delaney and Pivac both 'stepping-up' from within the coaching team.
Peel would be the 4th.

Numbers aren't the whole thing anyway.

Pivac's replacement was highly organised, which 'chopping and changing' does not suggest.

Delaney's appointment was an attempt to respond calmly and in an organised manner to a surprise. I wouldn't class that as 'chopping and changing' either.

Peel's appointment does feel chaotic but it is, at least, an attempt to stop the rot rather than acting like everything is fine.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 10:54am
Davies-Easterby-Pivac-Moar-Delaney-Peel?

Pivac wasn't employed as Head coach, and was appointed as Wales coach with a year left to run with us.

The point is that recruitment and/or retention has been an ever present around our Head coach position for appreciably longer than it seems on the surface of it.
Also our succession planning was for Pivac to take over from Easterby in due course, and for Stephan Jones to take over from Pivac, both taken out of our hands.

I have reservations about the process leading to the consideration of Peel, and of course whether he is the right guy ( I'm prepared to believe he is).

The primary thing to me is we need a period of stability with someone who isn't likely to jump ship or be taken on to higher position within a year or so.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 11:00am
In the last years we had head coach that during their, short or long, experience had the high point of their carriera and left us for best positions, nver for bad one...of course our main club project has been a contuining work in progress...I hope to see a more continuity in the next 3 or 4 years with a solid.coaching staff...
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 12:12pm
I suppose it all depends on what is meant by "stability"?....
Sustained mediocrity is not an option,but a flat-line to oblivion.
You won't get them qeueing round the block to buy a ticket to stability.
Management changes may not be ideal,but doing nothing is not an option.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 12:33pm
Changing coaches is a very unsettling thing. It should not be done without serious thought and planning for the future. Covid and the financial implications which have accompanied it make this nowhere near the ideal time for change.

However this season has been our worst for some time and the style, commitment & basic rugby intelligence shown, often by seasoned Internationals, has been nothing short of embarrassing. I would glady accept no further additions to our playing squad other than WillGriff & also accept the planned squad reduction if we were to get serious about our coaching structure. 

If no new Ball replacement paved the way for a tough experienced head coach, supported by Dwayne as attack coach, Kelly & Franks with a new defence coach I would consider that a price I would gladly pay. A professional, competent coaching structure should get a huge amount more from a decent squad. I also do not rule out some big names being shed as part of the squad reduction.

I, like many others, do not envisage that Peel is the right guy for head coach - he should be groomed for that role in 2/3 years time however it is imperative that whoever is employed as head coach understands fully the ethos of Scarlets rugby & has the stature to point out the minimum expected of  Scarlet players regardless of how many Lions tours they may have been on. For me Robin McBryde fits that role & I would move heaven & Earth to get him or an equal calibre person. 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Mediocrity is very much where we are headed in terms of competing for honours.

Have you not seen who the top pro14 sides are signing?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

We have already passed mediocrity on the way down. If we have to accept that we are not financially able to compete with the Irish provinces we should go all out and maximise the potential of our squad. That starts with employing the best coaching structure we can afford. 
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Changing coaches is a very unsettling thing. It should not be done without serious thought and planning for the future. Covid and the financial implications which have accompanied it make this nowhere near the ideal time for change.

However this season has been our worst for some time and the style, commitment & basic rugby intelligence shown, often by seasoned Internationals, has been nothing short of embarrassing. I would glady accept no further additions to our playing squad other than WillGriff & also accept the planned squad reduction if we were to get serious about our coaching structure. 

If no new Ball replacement paved the way for a tough experienced head coach, supported by Dwayne as attack coach, Kelly & Franks with a new defence coach I would consider that a price I would gladly pay. A professional, competent coaching structure should get a huge amount more from a decent squad. I also do not rule out some big names being shed as part of the squad reduction.

I, like many others, do not envisage that Peel is the right guy for head coach - he should be groomed for that role in 2/3 years time however it is imperative that whoever is employed as head coach understands fully the ethos of Scarlets rugby & has the stature to point out the minimum expected of  Scarlet players regardless of how many Lions tours they may have been on. For me Robin McBryde fits that role & I would move heaven & Earth to get him or an equal calibre person. 

Well said, I would be very happy with that outcome.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 1:53pm

For me Robin McBryde fits that role & I would move heaven & Earth to get him or an equal calibre person. 

McBryde signed a new Leinster deal last month. He's not going anywhere. He's also not a proven head coach.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 3:59pm

I suppose it all depends on what is meant by "stability"?....
You won't get them qeueing round the block to buy a ticket to stability.
Management changes may not be ideal,but doing nothing is not an option.
We’ve been mediocre for at least two thirds of the last twenty seasons. A 50% win record is pretty standard for us since the start of the Celtic League.

I agree that there always has to be a desire and a plan to improve the fortunes. Adding Peel to the coaching group is proof of that. I don’t expect Delaney to depart this summer, but if the signs next season are that he can’t take us where the board wants us to go, or thinks we should be, then I’m sure a change will be made. 

gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 4:00pm

We have already passed mediocrity on the way down. If we have to accept that we are not financially able to compete with the Irish provinces we should go all out and maximise the potential of our squad. That starts with employing the best coaching structure we can afford. 

Agree 100%.

A great coaching team can bring the best out of ordinary players and make a team far better than the sum of its parts. Ordinary/poor coaches often waste talent and fail to bring the best out of proven international class players. Getting a proven head coach after Mooar left would have been a far better option - Delaney may then have grown into a better candidate for head coach later on. The cheaper option is always a waste of money with coaching.

Only time will tell if a good choice has been made with Peel. I hope it has. However, it's not just him, there needs to be quality throughout the set up. I fear Whiffin, Flanagan, Kelly do not, at present, bring that quality to the team. There has to be improvement lower down as well, Peel cannot do it all himself.
What's going on?
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 6:27pm
What livewire exciting player would want to join us after the turgid stuff we have served up this season?agree totally about spending on top coaches because i don't think the squad we had this year was as bad as our results,i think this season has put us back years.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 7:34am

For me Robin McBryde fits that role & I would move heaven & Earth to get him or an equal calibre person. 

McBryde signed a new Leinster deal last month. He's not going anywhere. He's also not a proven head coach.

Contracts can be terminated and much will depend on any release clauses contained. As for not being proven - you have a point. He has taken overall charge on a number of International oversees tours by Wales but I accept that is not akin to proven. It could however be perceived to be a promotion for Robin if that was his motivation. Tough he surely is, ex Scarlet, understands the history as he is part of it. I really do not believe that a McBryde coached pack would have thrown in the towel like they did against Sale. 
FIRST AND LAST View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FIRST AND LAST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 8:06pm
Congratulations to the 4 Scarlet Lions chosen for the South Africa Tour. Congratulations also to the other 6 Scarlets who helped Wales win the 6 Nations. Just goes to show how you can have a team full of talent but if their not coached properly and prepared tactically/mentally/physically they can come apart at the seams.
mr geraint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr geraint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 8:09pm
Yes, congratulations to all of them!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 47>
  Share Topic