Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rainbow Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 18>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by Nikostratos Nikostratos wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

Feel the held up rule is a bit harsh!! 

I don't, it rewards the defending team which I like. 

It also makes going wide a more attractive option.  Currently, it's safer to go for a short pass/ pick and go close to the line.  There's very little risk in that and it results in some pretty tedious rugby that's more about bulk and power than skill, pace and guile.   Got to be a good thing on that basis.

Think back to Adams in the 6N though. He almost certainly grounded it but there was no definitive evidence so that would be held up and drop out 22? I agree keeping it tight and bashing it over with pods of forwards could reward a team able to defend it more but we are talking a player who is so close to scoring a try here....
Just for clarification it’s a try line drop out, not 22 so the defending team will be in a better position than with current laws but will still be defending just outside the 22 I suspect.
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 1:04pm
Oh I see, my mistake. Yes costs position but good chance of retaining possession. Not as nice as a scrum five though so does tilt towards defence. Unsure really, the ball does seem to get held up loads and if refs can't see it then it's usually thought to be held up. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 3:46pm
Unless something radically changes between now and next week we could be embarrassed by the fixtures coming up. I am fearful of the next three games let alone any SA sides. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Oh I see, my mistake. Yes costs position but good chance of retaining possession. Not as nice as a scrum five though so does tilt towards defence. Unsure really, the ball does seem to get held up loads and if refs can't see it then it's usually thought to be held up. 

I've actually found this season that tries seem to be awarded more frequently in those situations than in the past. If the ref says "on field decision is a try" on the basis that he knows the ball carrier has crossed the line but goes to the TMO as he's not too sure if the ball was grounded, if the camera angles don't show anything conclusive either way I've noticed the response seems to be "there is nothing clear and obvious to make me suggest reversing your on field decision, so you may award the try"
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Unless something radically changes between now and next week we could be embarrassed by the fixtures coming up. I am fearful of the next three games let alone any SA sides. 

I echo your sentiment
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 6:42pm
Has anything happened re finding the SA sides visas and a base to stay?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 7:27pm
Still being talked through.

The SA sides start their games this weekend.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 8:43pm
So what are the benefits of these new laws exactly? I can understand changing laws to protect player safety but these are pointless. 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

So what are the benefits of these new laws exactly? I can understand changing laws to protect player safety but these are pointless. 
20 minute red = pointless
Goal line drop out meant to discourage endless pick and drive I guess
Captain's challenge = pointless.

As I've said on another forum, give TMOs more power. No waiting for endless replays except to check scoring - and TMO decides, instead of having to try to persuade the ref. TMO calls a forward pass, offside, collapsed maul and instructs the ref where to award the pen/scrum etc. End the debates.

All this helped by mandatory overhead spider cam for every game. That would end any dispute over forward pass, line out throws, offside lines, illegal side entry etc.

Then we can get on with a fair contest instead of endless psycho drama over ref decisions and debates
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Next weekend isn't it?
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2021 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Next weekend isn't it?

That depends on whether I know what day it is today!

Yes next week, sorry.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2021 at 9:27am

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Next weekend isn't it?

That depends on whether I know what day it is today!

Yes next week, sorry.
Yep. Shame. You spiked my interest for a minute!
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2021 at 12:49pm
according to wales online the rainbow cup is set to be cancelled today, not even the SA teams can play in their derbies this weekend which is the issue rather than any other games being played
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2021 at 12:55pm
Aye saw that, shame mind I'm not sure we would have been competitive with the SA sides following the Sale match.

I'd like to see an agreement, if they go ahead, where the regions pick the same sort of side as each other when they play. I.e. we don't select our youngsters against another region who are going for a full blooded team.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2021 at 2:47pm
I’d have thought we’d be trying our hardest for our first choice players to be playing games. There’s a lions tour coming plus that’s what they are paid to do. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2021 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I’d have thought we’d be trying our hardest for our first choice players to be playing games. There’s a lions tour coming plus that’s what they are paid to do. 
how many of ours would go on the lions based on scarlets form?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 18>
  Share Topic