Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rugby selling out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2021 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

£7.99 per month

£5.99
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2021 at 12:46pm
The price for watching professional sport is not my issue.It’s essential to help run professional sport.  What annoys the is having to take out contracts with 
Premier 
BT
Sky
Amazon now 
Plus BBC licence fee 

To try and cover all rugby games and even then coverage of the NZ and Oz games went to streaming for some reason ( it was on Sky once). 

It’s a right pain ! Oh for one provider so I could cancel most of the rest! 🙏

Edited by reesytheexile - 20 August 2021 at 12:46pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2021 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

£12 is a bargain. 

For what and from who? That is a bit cryptic...
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2021 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

The price for watching professional sport is not my issue.It’s essential to help run professional sport.  What annoys the is having to take out contracts with 
Premier 
BT
Sky
Amazon now 
Plus BBC licence fee 

To try and cover all rugby games and even then coverage of the NZ and Oz games went to streaming for some reason ( it was on Sky once). 

I could not agree more... I don't mind paying (up to a point) but the things that are interesting are spread over so many platforms that you can end up paying a small fortune to see them...

It's a racket, IMHO.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2021 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Premier 
BT
Sky
Amazon now 
Plus BBC licence fee 

Yeah Sky left it really late in the day to get the contract for showing the Rugby Championship.

I guess the only good thing about the likes of BT & Amazon is that you can share your log in so you could go halves with a mate.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2021 at 3:02pm
Yep, the splitting of all the providers is a nightmare for fans and it something the unions/pro-leagues should have a strategy on to try and consolidate with one broadcaster to help promote the game. 

When I used to work for Sky they said the rugby (other than the autumn England games) used to have terrible viewing figures - so with things like the Tri-nations/rugby championship they just didn’t see the value in paying for the right to show it. 

Often the sentiment was something like “a lot of rugby fans are wealthy enough that they subscribe to us whether we’ve got the rugby on anyway, with heavy overlap with their interest in cricket we can keep them as subscribers without having to pay for rights to all the leagues”. 

There was a logic to it but it meant BT ended up carving out a niche for themselves with the English rugby audience.

The P14 didn’t help themselves by making their product invisible with an obscure Irish broadcaster that basically only season ticket holders would bother subscribing to (almost every casual Glasgow fan I met working up there didn’t bother subscribing to Premier sports). 

The URC would have done well to persuade BT to show the majority of the games just so that rugby was consolidated all onto one platform. Would have meant better value for money for fans but also more reach for rugby than Premier.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

The P14 didn’t help themselves by making their product invisible with an obscure Irish broadcaster that basically only season ticket holders would bother subscribing to (almost every casual Glasgow fan I met working up there didn’t bother subscribing to Premier sports). 
The reason us and Scotland got lumped with Premier was because the P14/Irish did right by their supporters and sold the rights to Eir Sport meaning that all their domestic and European games were in one place.

Sky weren't interesting in putting a bid in just for the UK rights minus Ireland.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2021 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

The reason us and Scotland got lumped with Premier was because the P14/Irish did right by their supporters and sold the rights to Eir Sport meaning that all their domestic and European games were in one place.

Sky weren't interesting in putting a bid in just for the UK rights minus Ireland.

It’s all understandable from each individual business’ pov but gets to a point where it’s bad for rugby to have such a fragmented set of broadcasters 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2021 at 3:39pm

Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

It’s all understandable from each individual business’ pov but gets to a point where it’s bad for rugby to have such a fragmented set of broadcasters 

It's kind of similar to football in that you have S4C, BT Sport, Sky Sports & Premier Sports all showing various domestic competitions in football.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2021 at 3:50pm
The difference is that BT and Sky both show premier league games with sky showing the majority and BT showing a few. So if you can’t afford both you can at least watch some Premier League and combine that with match of the day and you’re not missing much.

AFAIK Premier only show the Scottish cup, which can’t be a huge pull in subscribers. 

I don’t see the point in Premier Sports showing any football. For me they should market themselves as the sports channel that DOESNT show football, complete with a clip of Nige saying “this is not soccer” LOL

Edited by dyniol53 - 20 August 2021 at 3:50pm
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2021 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

£12 is a bargain. 

For what and from who? That is a bit cryptic...

£5.99 per month. If really are that pushed they can’t afford it just get a 30 free trial. Time it right and you won’t pay a penny. Share log ins so peoples budget can stretch to £5.99 god forbid. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic