Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cardiff Rugby?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cardiff Rugby?
    Posted: 07 March 2021 at 7:43pm
Changing name from Cardiff Blues to Cardiff Rugby?

Nigel Walker saying 83% of fans are Cardiffians and only 17% are from elsewhere. So clearly he feels this name change is intended to appeal to more sponsors and Cardiffians. Id imagine those outside Cardiff will see this as a snub. Though sad Dale the chief mackintosh says, 60% of the players are from valleys clubs.
If this makes sense commercially maybe it makes sense, just seems a strange thing to do to rock the boat after over 15 years of regional rugby

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Nigel Walker saying 83% of fans are Cardiffians and only 17% are from elsewhere. So clearly he feels this name change is intended to appeal to more sponsors and Cardiffians. Id imagine those outside Cardiff will see this as a snub. Though sad Dale the chief mackintosh says, 60% of the players are from valleys clubs.
If this makes sense commercially maybe it makes sense, just seems a strange thing to do to rock the boat after over 15 years of regional rugby

Regional rugby is a load of nonsense. We have four professional clubs who run regional development pathways no different to an English club. Both Cardiff and Llanelli paid to stand alone as clubs. Cardiff is a world recognised rugby brand whereas the first thing that comes into my mind when I hear the word Blues is the Auckland based Super Rugby side. What’s interesting is that whenever Scarlets play in Europe on BT Sport most of the English co commentators like Dallaligio subconsciously refer to them as Llanelli and it’s the same with Cardiff. I do often wonder whether Llanelli should have been kept in the name. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 8:35pm
Yeah its the same whenever i hear the sharks i immediately think of the Durban Sharks not Sale. I think its a good move to be honest. They will still be synonymous with those light blue jerseys. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Regional rugby is a load of nonsense. We have four professional clubs who run regional development pathways no different to an English club. Both Cardiff and Llanelli paid to stand alone as clubs. Cardiff is a world recognised rugby brand whereas the first thing that comes into my mind when I hear the word Blues is the Auckland based Super Rugby side. What’s interesting is that whenever Scarlets play in Europe on BT Sport most of the English co commentators like Dallaligio subconsciously refer to them as Llanelli and it’s the same with Cardiff. I do often wonder whether Llanelli should have been kept in the name. 
so as a club they no longer will have first pick of all the talent from other clubs in what was their region? You can either  be a club or be a region, cardiff have made their decision. Good for them now they can deal with the consequences good and bad👍 Ps funny you mention auckland blues they only became that in 96 didn’t they?

Edited by RR1972 - 07 March 2021 at 9:12pm
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 9:37pm
The main difference is we were (and still are)the only team in our region which would historically have been considered a first class club 

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

The main difference is we were (and still are)the only team in our region which would historically have been considered a first class club 

spot on ☝️👍👍 cardiff want the status of being a stand alone club with the benefits of being a region, very arrogant attitude

Edited by RR1972 - 07 March 2021 at 9:58pm
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 9:59pm
we were the only big west wales club so we were always a club and a sort of region too, with a great brand too. Its hard to compare us with other regions  as they didnt have the same identity in terms of tradition, identity or logisitics.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

so as a club they no longer will have first pick of all the talent from other clubs in what was their region? You can either  be a club or be a region, cardiff have made their decision. Good for them now they can deal with the consequences good and bad👍 Ps funny you mention auckland blues they only became that in 96 didn’t they?
What? Nothing changes at all in terms of the development pathway. These players are contracted to Cardiff not to the semi-pro clubs. Quite literally nothing has changed apart from their name and the commercial potential which comes with it. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 10:13pm
Why  do other clubs have to send theit best young prospects to another club? Why cant we do a deal with say ponty? Why is cardiff going to generate more fans than cardiff blues ? It makes no sense ? Is a team called cardiff blues , who play every home game on cardiff not cardiff enough for them?

Edited by RR1972 - 07 March 2021 at 10:15pm
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 10:53pm
They haven't made the most of their city status and "worldwide" name since the 80's, the last time they won something in the highest level of competition available to them was the Welsh /Scottish league 21 years ago.

I don't see this rebranding changing anything to be honest. 

Dale mackintosh's stat about the amount of their players that come from the Valleys (largely ponty) was interesting, I guessed from scanning their squad it was high but I didn't realise it was that high. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 11:15pm

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

What? Nothing changes at all in terms of the development pathway. These players are contracted to Cardiff not to the semi-pro clubs. Quite literally nothing has changed apart from their name and the commercial potential which comes with it. 

Yes we should have kept Llanelli in our name and left us as Llanelli Scarlets perhaps, as we already shouted “Scarlets Scarlets”... from the touchiness to my earliest recollections in the’ 60’s and outside our locality sporting people know us more for the name Llanelli rugby club rather than the Scarlets as that’s what we are Llanelli! 

Our fan base and feeder base hasn’t changed at all. 

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

They haven't made the most of their city status and "worldwide" name since the 80's, the last time they won something in the highest level of competition available to them was the Welsh /Scottish league 21 years ago.

Dale mackintosh's stat about the amount of their players that come from the Valleys (largely ponty) was interesting, I guessed from scanning their squad it was high but I didn't realise it was that high. 

Didn’t they win the challenge cup?
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 1:35pm

we were the only big west wales club so we were always a club and a sort of region too, with a great brand too. Its hard to compare us with other regions  as they didnt have the same identity in terms of tradition, identity or logisitics.

Excellent points.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 1:36pm
Maybe they could have gone for cardiff blue and blacks as thats what they were always known as , just a bit of a mouthful
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Didn’t they win the challenge cup?

Yes, a Tier 2 event though. Going one step further than the mighty Caerphilly did in the same comp.

I feel the point is valid though. Cardiff have had more than their fare share of off field wrangles, venue confusion, funding nonsense, coaching changes etc.
Perpetually impacting their on field impact.
y ddraig bwyd View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y ddraig bwyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 4:01pm
Just an aside to the name change from Cardiff Blues to Cardiff !! This surely means that Dwayne is out of contract as he signed for the Cardiff Blues who will no longer exist !! Croeso gartref Dwayne !!
y ddraig bwyd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic