Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

And on to France

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: And on to France
    Posted: 15 March 2021 at 9:10am
So job done on the Italians, we now move onto France on Super Saturday with the chance of winning the Slam. Whilst, at times, it looked like a training session on Saturday we did the job & got some much needed points in the points difference column.

What changes do people envisage? The only change I can see will be Beard for Hill, Hill was very good Saturday but given that Olivion is the top lineout taker in the tournament I can see Beard coming in for him. There is a possibility that Foxy will be dropped for Hallaholo but I just can't see it, given the sheer size of the French centres. Whilst he hasn't looked vintage Foxy going forward, he does offer that defensive reassurance & he his building a relationship with North. 

There will be clamour for Tomos to come in at 9 for Cawdor but given he is just back from injury I can't see him starting.

I thought the 2 props were excellent again & as someone alluded to on here they probably have played their way into the match day test squads for the Lions.
Sponsored Links

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 9:14am
Changes I'd make are Beard to start and Hill to the bench.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 9:50am
I would go with Beard into the pack with Ball on the bench. Foxy & Cawdor to start and Tomos, if fully ready, on the bench. Liam worries me at FB defensively but excites me going forward so on balance he stays. Our passing skills are pretty poor so a strong case can be made for Halaholo at 12 who is an excellent distributor. 

The pace the French have in midfield is worrying compared with Biggar & Foxy in particular - this lad at 10 Jallibert is some player who gets me on the edge of my seat whenever he gets the ball. His natural attacking instinct and flair is what people will pay to see. Top top team France but they can be beaten as England showed. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 9:51am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I would go with Beard into the pack with Ball on the bench. Foxy & Cawdor to start and Tomos, if fully ready, on the bench. Liam worries me at FB defensively but excites me going forward so on balance he stays. Our passing skills are pretty poor so a strong case can be made for Halaholo at 12 who is an excellent distributor. 

The pace the French have in midfield is worrying compared with Biggar & Foxy in particular - this lad at 10 Jallibert is some player who gets me on the edge of my seat whenever he gets the ball. His natural attacking instinct and flair is what people will pay to see. Top top team France but they can be beaten as England showed. 

Agreed & the worst thing is they have Ntamack on the bench!!
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 10:11am
Effective rush defence, target the ball and stop the offload. French play with so much flair all England did was the basics and very well and that was enough to win. 
scarletsim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 11:39am
We will need to ensure our kick chase is at optimum if we are planning on kicking to keep the ball in play rather than off the field. I'd rather us put the ball out bit more and challenge them on their line out.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 11:46am
We cannot go deep on our box kicks!! 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 12:20pm
I’d say the only weakness in their attack is their 15 who doesn’t look confident with the ball in hand, but does seem to mop up a lot of mistakes similar to Halfpenny in that regard.

I’d like to know why some think Halfpenny should start over Sanjay? I find Sanjay is just so much better in attack. When we get turnover ball he’s a running threat but his passing is slick and pacey too, created lots of space for LRZ and Adams on Sat. 

I love Halfpenny but mopping up in defence is only half the job of the fullback imo and I hate to think how many line breaks or opportunities we haven’t created because he’s been picked over Liam over the years.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I’d say the only weakness in their attack is their 15 who doesn’t look confident with the ball in hand, but does seem to mop up a lot of mistakes similar to Halfpenny in that regard.

I’d like to know why some think Halfpenny should start over Sanjay? I find Sanjay is just so much better in attack. When we get turnover ball he’s a running threat but his passing is slick and pacey too, created lots of space for LRZ and Adams on Sat. 

I love Halfpenny but mopping up in defence is only half the job of the fullback imo and I hate to think how many line breaks or opportunities we haven’t created because he’s been picked over Liam over the years.

I'd start Sanjay, but I can see arguments for Halfpenny:

1. Biggar's goal-kicking wasn't perfect against Italy, plus 1/2p can slot penalties from (probably) 10m further out - it makes defenders 'think a bit' before they gamble on killing the ball near halfway.

2. Halfpenny's defensive positioning is way better, and his tackling is more secure.

I do hope, though, that we'll spend more time attacking than defending - and our red-zone scoring record is second to none this season.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

We cannot go deep on our box kicks!! 

Surely they practice these, look at sextons bombs on saturday , they had snow on them and allow the irish to compete....Up and unders/box kicks that go too far are a bit wasteful. Obviously if youre clearing your lines you often just go for distance. But if youre upfield you need to kick to compete with a good chase. 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 6:19pm
Tomos williams and adam beard are said to be fit and available
Heck of a call now between cawdor and tomos and beard and hill
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Tomos williams and adam beard are said to be fit and available
Heck of a call now between cawdor and tomos and beard and hill

Cawdor & Beard for me. We need to counter Ollivion at the line out & Williams whilst fit is short of game time. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 11:24pm
If we score 4 tries we’ve won the championship.

Edited by dyniol53 - 17 March 2021 at 5:04pm
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2021 at 6:08am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

If we score 4 tries we’ve won the championship.

Not quite, a 4 try bonus point moves us to 20 points. If France get 2 wins both with 4 tries then that would move them to 20 where it would come down to points difference, which we have a 24 point advantage. 

However 2 match day points Saturday will see us to the championship & even if we do it that way I hope the players & the coaching staff in particular are still lauded. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2021 at 6:19am
Wales have picked up that great trait of finding a way to win when the stats would suggest different outcome.

France are the better side, but what you see with them, is they can often conjure up a way to lose...as they did against England really
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2021 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Wales have picked up that great trait of finding a way to win when the stats would suggest different outcome.

France are the better side, but what you see with them, is they can often conjure up a way to lose...as they did against England really

Yes Wil Wales with their huge experience through the spine of the team understand that, when they are under the cosh, not to make life easy for the opposition such as piggy backing penalties and field position. The French team are by far the best team in this tournament but despite Sean's efforts, they still have a little way to go with discipline and temperament. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic