Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

And on to France

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2021 at 6:43pm
Brilliantly though North has played, especially with the ball, I find his defence sometimes a bit shaky.

Henry Slade isolated him just before half time in the England game. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if 1st phase they stick Foxy at 13 so that any French pre-set moves don’t end up down North’s channel.

The French like to use blockers on the 10,12 and to give Jaliburt space around the 13. I’d be much more confident having Foxy make those decisions than North.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2021 at 6:54pm
I’m also expecting to see a bit of French “choreographed chaos” in attack. 

The try that Bierne scored against us in the 1st game, where Henshaw just ran back towards the ruck to find Tips slip a tackle, was very similar to the Penaud try vs Ireland where Jalibert switched direction to find a snoozing Irish blindside.

They’ve got quality runners like Tomas who can do that and find a small gap between a prop and a back etc 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2021 at 6:58pm
In attack, I hate to say it, but the French maul defence isn’t their strong point. So we’d do well to target them there.

The Itoje try last weekend came from a maul and the James Lowe “try” where his toe was in touch stemmed from an Irish lineout maul going 10-15m.

Having said that Le Roux was in the sin bin at that point, and against England I think he’d been taken off.

What I’m trying to say is Ken Owens to score is a half decent bet 😅
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2021 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Tony Clifton Tony Clifton wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Team picks itself in my opinion. 

Beard in for Hill, Hill on bench.

Tomos on bench for L. Williams.

Sheedy and Halaholo bench backs.
And Halfpenny to 15
Disagree. We looked a better side against Scotland when Halfpenny came off. Great player, but injuries and age have caught up. Liam better at 15 especially with how we are playing now.
Halfpenny’s decision making in attack and his positional play defensively is superior. 
I don’t agree. Williams is a superior attacker, and more reliable in the air. Liam has combined well with the wings and midfield, joining the line very effectively. We’ve been a better attacking side with him in it, and he’s bailed us out in defence a few times, such as Itoje’s chargedown. If we have a reliable goal kicker at 10, there is no benefit to having Halfpenny at 15 over Williams.
Liam is a fine fine player but you’re underestimating Halfpenny. He’s the best positional 15 in the world, no question. Defensively he’s excellent and his decision making is better even in attack than Liam’s. As an all round package he’s still a superb player. Saturday’s game is going to be very tight, there won’t be as much space for Wales to exploit as there was in the first four games. When you’re in the trenches you want Halfpenny in your side. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2021 at 11:10pm
Halfpenny is class, Liam is also brilliant although does have the odd mad moment still. Its one heck of a choice between 2 world class full backs. What makes it worse is there no place on the bench for either of them. Its a tough business leaving out 1 of these legends for a grand slam decider. 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 7:15am

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Team picks itself in my opinion. 

Beard in for Hill, Hill on bench.

Tomos on bench for L. Williams.

Sheedy and Halaholo bench backs.
And Halfpenny to 15
Disagree. We looked a better side against Scotland when Halfpenny came off. Great player, but injuries and age have caught up. Liam better at 15 especially with how we are playing now.
Halfpenny’s decision making in attack and his positional play defensively is superior. 
I don’t agree. Williams is a superior attacker, and more reliable in the air. Liam has combined well with the wings and midfield, joining the line very effectively. We’ve been a better attacking side with him in it, and he’s bailed us out in defence a few times, such as Itoje’s chargedown. If we have a reliable goal kicker at 10, there is no benefit to having Halfpenny at 15 over Williams.
Liam is a fine fine player but you’re underestimating Halfpenny. He’s the best positional 15 in the world, no question. Defensively he’s excellent and his decision making is better even in attack than Liam’s. As an all round package he’s still a superb player. Saturday’s game is going to be very tight, there won’t be as much space for Wales to exploit as there was in the first four games. When you’re in the trenches you want Halfpenny in your side. 

On balance I tend to agree with Scarletnut. Liam is a bit of a liability in defence, his tackling is pretty weak overall getting bumped off far too easily & of course his temperament is always one step from a card. Leigh beats him on all the above & of course he can get you points from 50m+. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 11:24am
I think pivac will edge for sanjay as he wont want to change this winning team, tough on hapenny though
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 11:27am
None of these so called pundits outside Wales think we can win. The way theyre talking up France is ott imo....France is awesome france france france...The way they came within 3 points of beating mighty england was so incredible? The same england team we put 40 points on... They scored 2 cracking tries but most of the rest of the match they didnt achieve a great deal. Gave away a lot of penalties, succumbed to the rolling maul and faded late on
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 11:32am
team is out beard in for hill, hill to bench  rest is the same

smith onto bench for carre , botham for wainright and tomas Williams for Lloyd williams
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 11:32am
Only change is Beard in for Hill, who drops to the bench.

1. Wyn Jones (34 Caps)
2. Ken Owens (81 Caps)
3. Tomas Francis (56 Caps)
4. Adam Beard (24 Caps)
5. Alun Wyn Jones (CAPT) (147 Caps)
6. Josh Navidi (27 Caps)
7. Justin Tipuric (84 Caps)
8. Taulupe Faletau (85 Caps)
9. Gareth Davies (61 Caps)
10. Dan Biggar (91 Caps)
11. Josh Adams (31 Caps)
12. Jonathan Davies (87 Caps)
13. George North (101 Caps)
14. Louis Rees-Zammit (8 Caps)
15. Liam Williams (70 Caps)

Replacements:

16. Elliot Dee (36 Caps)
17. Nicky Smith (38 Caps)
18. Leon Brown (16 Caps)
19. Cory Hill (31 Caps)
20. James Botham (5 Caps)
21. Tomos Williams (21 Caps)
22. Callum Sheedy (8 Caps)
23. Uilisi Halaholo (3 Caps)

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 11:38am
Could this be Alun Wyn’s last game? 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 11:43am
Bit surprised to see Nicky Smith being put right back in, I thought Rhodri had done ok in the small bits I have seen of him.
Rob Hunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Bit surprised to see Nicky Smith being put right back in, I thought Rhodri had done ok in the small bits I have seen of him.
I think that Rhodri is injured and has been released from the squad.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Rob Hunt Rob Hunt wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I think that Rhodri is injured and has been released from the squad.

Ah ok, apologies in that case.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 12:10pm
So wonder who we may get back? 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 12:37pm
I'm concerned about our midfield defence off French phase 1 or fast ball.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic