Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlet Fever issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlet Fever issues
    Posted: 23 March 2021 at 8:56am
I have two problems ATM, and wonder if the mods/anyone can advise me:

1. "Not Secure" - this appears at the start of the URL line. Should I be worried? I want to continue reading and commenting, but it is a concern. Any suggestions? 

2. During games, I find it impossible to sign on (weight of traffic, maybe?) - the site simply refuses to load. Any ideas there?

Thanks for any help, in advance!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2021 at 9:11am
I have to re load the page a few times just after the final whistle to get on 
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2021 at 9:57am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

1. "Not Secure" - this appears at the start of the URL line. Should I be worried? I want to continue reading and commenting, but it is a concern. Any suggestions? 

2. During games, I find it impossible to sign on (weight of traffic, maybe?) - the site simply refuses to load. Any ideas there?

1. The site runs on standard http and always has, but most modern sites now run on https which is more secure, hence the s. What we have is fine to use but don't enter any sensitive personal information like credit card details on here, not that you would for any reason I'm sure.
The only thing I would suggest is if you're very cautious about it, set your forum password different to your other passwords for email or social media etc.

2. This is down to the weight of traffic, I don't know how this works entirely but my understanding is that our service provider monitors the traffic on average day to day, hour to hour, and only allocates resources based on how much data is being requested by users as they click between pages or refresh. 
There's currently 12 members on here now but when the number gets a lot higher during games the provider isn't expecting it and struggles to load pages. The obvious question then is why don't you change or upgrade the service provider, but we're effectively a free forum that operates and is paid for by the advert revenue generated through clicks.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2021 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

1. The site runs on standard http and always has, but most modern sites now run on https which is more secure, hence the s. What we have is fine to use but don't enter any sensitive personal information like credit card details on here, not that you would for any reason I'm sure.
The only thing I would suggest is if you're very cautious about it, set your forum password different to your other passwords for email or social media etc.

2. This is down to the weight of traffic, I don't know how this works entirely but my understanding is that our service provider monitors the traffic on average day to day, hour to hour, and only allocates resources based on how much data is being requested by users as they click between pages or refresh. 
There's currently 12 members on here now but when the number gets a lot higher during games the provider isn't expecting it and struggles to load pages. The obvious question then is why don't you change or upgrade the service provider, but we're effectively a free forum that operates and is paid for by the advert revenue generated through clicks.

Thanks for those answers. I'm reassured.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2021 at 2:35pm
We may move to https at some point in the future, looking into it.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2021 at 2:50pm
That would be great.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2021 at 6:05pm
I’d be delighted if we can have easy access to the site at busy times. Moving to https would be great too.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 7:29am
A comment on the “Thank” facility. 

It shows how many times a post has been thanked, however, how does the poster know they’ve been thanked?
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 8:46am
For the amount of time we all spend on here a donate button wouldn't be unreasonable to help with the hosting costs etc 
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

A comment on the “Thank” facility. 

It shows how many times a post has been thanked, however, how does the poster know they’ve been thanked?
They don't other than to view their post and see the number of thanks in brackets
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 9:23am
Https now live
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 9:26am
We've also had a registration issue for a month or so, in that the email to complete registration hasn't been sent out.

This is now fixed but I'm unable to re-send the original emails so anyone reading this hasn't been able to fully register on the forum, please email sf@scarletfever.org
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 10:47am
Top work sir.

Sometimes we have to remind each other that this forum is run by people on their own time.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 11:20am
I agree with Owen above. Could we have a dedicated paypal account where people could donate a one off donation or a minimal amount (say £5) a month to assist & maybe help with any upgrades? 

Whilst we all miss not being at the match, it did feel like I was there in the way we were live posting during the match on Monday night.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 12:15pm
Thanks to minded & all who work to keep this forum active. I would willingly contribute to help out. My experience on here is both educational & entertaining.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 5:55pm
Thanks Mase. Comments echoed helping and appreciation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic