Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WRU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 26>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

But very few people/corporate clients would pay that sort of money if the end product (on the field of play) wasn’t as successful as it’s been since the mid noughties.  That product is nurtured by the regions at great cost to the regions involved.
If the national team were regularly playing out for the wooden spoon then fewer people would want to buy match tickets let alone hospitality packages running into the thousands.

I agree with GPR above. The “product” isn’t really the rugby, it’s the stadium experience and the price tag of the hotel. That’s client entertainment. It’s really depressing but it is the way of the world. In a previous job, I had to “entertain” three different clients three nights in a row in a box at the O2 arena watching U2, a band I do not like and neither did the clients - but it secured their biz for another three years so the agency was happy to pay the tens of thousands it cost upfront. 

However, I DO agree with your point generally that Welsh rugby is so top down and reliant on success of the national team that IMO we’re only ever two successive 5th place six nations campaigns away from a terminal decline. 

If/when that happens the money will dry up and there will be 5x versions of Cory Hills going to Jap, Eng, France in a vicious cycle for both the regions and national team.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2021 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

But very few people/corporate clients would pay that sort of money if the end product (on the field of play) wasn’t as successful as it’s been since the mid noughties.  That product is nurtured by the regions at great cost to the regions involved.
If the national team were regularly playing out for the wooden spoon then fewer people would want to buy match tickets let alone hospitality packages running into the thousands.

I agree with GPR above. The “product” isn’t really the rugby, it’s the stadium experience and the price tag of the hotel. That’s client entertainment. It’s really depressing but it is the way of the world. In a previous job, I had to “entertain” three different clients three nights in a row in a box at the O2 arena watching U2, a band I do not like and neither did the clients - but it secured their biz for another three years so the agency was happy to pay the tens of thousands it cost upfront. 

However, I DO agree with your point generally that Welsh rugby is so top down and reliant on success of the national team that IMO we’re only ever two successive 5th place six nations campaigns away from a terminal decline. 

If/when that happens the money will dry up and there will be 5x versions of Cory Hills going to Jap, Eng, France in a vicious cycle for both the regions and national team.

Yes, the corporate clients will buy in whatever the 'product'. How the hospitality money is utilised by the WRU is the big question. Will it be filtered back to support the professional game or re-invested in the WRU's, "diverse commercial portfolio"?  I can imagine a scenario where the commercial success of the WRU as a business no longer requires them to have anything to do with rugby. In fact their accountants are probably telling them that it makes too many 'losses'  and they should ditch it in favour of a 'Golden Era 1970's Theme Park' a la Disney World, complete with Gareth Edwards, Barry John, Phil Bennett lookalikes. Sorry, I'm rambling, but you get the point..,
What's going on?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2021 at 12:31pm
Didn't want to start a new thread but there will be full capacity at the Principality Stadium for the Autumn internationals. 
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2021 at 10:11am

Welsh Rugby Union: Bank debt rises to £22.9m despite £400,000 profit for financial year

Please control responses when you read 'The WRU is putting a lot of faith in the £46.2m hotel development which the governing body says is designed to create long-term financial returns for Welsh rugby. Wink'
Joshua24:15
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2021 at 8:41pm
Ospreys lose at home to a side 11th in English Prem

Attendance for European cup opener 4,664

Cardiff’s half-and-half team understandably mullered by Toulouse, attendance 10,007

Scarlets having to pull out of the fixture, doubts about how we’ll shape up this week.

Welsh rugby not in a good way the WRU need to realise this fast
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2021 at 10:04pm

Cardiff’s half-and-half team understandably mullered by Toulouse, attendance 10,007

Scarlets having to pull out of the fixture, doubts about how we’ll shape up this week.

Why would the WRU do anything about it?

They NEVER have

They NEVER will

We need to go nuclear and insist our 4 x pro clubs separate from the amateur game (in terms of WRU governance), request we are in a competition that is run by clubs not Unions and start formal proceedings to join a 2 tier English competition.

This has been evident for 15 years.

Until this happens, we are on a downward spiral to a domestic level that is barely professional
hartson11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hartson11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2021 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

They NEVER have

They NEVER will

We need to go nuclear and insist our 4 x pro clubs separate from the amateur game (in terms of WRU governance), request we are in a competition that is run by clubs not Unions and start formal proceedings to join a 2 tier English competition.

Until this happens, we are on a downward spiral to a domestic level that is barely professional

Wales doesn’t have the talent, or the support for 4 pro teams.

It’s too late anyway. The Welsh game’s beyond saving. Bleak and not what anyone wants to hear, but true. 
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2021 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by hartson11 hartson11 wrote:

They NEVER have

They NEVER will

Wales doesn’t have the talent, or the support for 4 pro teams.

It’s too late anyway. The Welsh game’s beyond saving. Bleak and not what anyone wants to hear, but true. 

I’d like to see 3+1, Dragons in RFU Championship. Make them a development side and they can play opposition they might actually beat.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2021 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Tony Clifton Tony Clifton wrote:

Dragons in RFU Championship.

That's where we need to be!!! I'd give my right arm for a place in the English championship with a potential for promotion. The finances would be tough though so I expect there are too many sticking blocks. But the URC is killing the Welsh 4 pro teams.

Imagine going on away trips every other weekend. Does everybody remember away trips?

Football fans have fortnightly away trips. We have been robbed of them.
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2021 at 1:33am

Originally posted by Tony Clifton Tony Clifton wrote:

Dragons in RFU Championship.

That's where we need to be!!! I'd give my right arm for a place in the English championship with a potential for promotion. The finances would be tough though so I expect there are too many sticking blocks. But the URC is killing the Welsh 4 pro teams.

Imagine going on away trips every other weekend. Does everybody remember away trips?

Football fans have fortnightly away trips. We have been robbed of them.

Agreed, at this point I’d just like the chance to make the Prem. But I really think 3+1 Prem/Champ would work. Dragons are an odds and sods castoffs from everybody else team with a promising talent or two at a time. They just don’t have the base to make a full proper squad. We’d be best off using them to pull new talent through unless we see that mooted U23 league come through.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2021 at 7:54am

They NEVER have

They NEVER will

Thumbs Up
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2021 at 12:09pm

They NEVER have

They NEVER will

ClapClap
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2021 at 1:26pm

They NEVER have

They NEVER will

Well said.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2021 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

They NEVER have

They NEVER will

ClapClap
Whats the word on just how concerned CVC are?

Just think, next season the SA sides will be in Europe.

Those logistical issues aren’t really needed on top of covid and French sides prioritising the TOP14.

If we think this season is chaotic………just imagine the next one.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2022 at 9:47pm
Watching Slammed - I wasn’t aware of what was going on at the time as I was barely a teenager. But what was the actual reason Mike Ruddock left 1 year after the ‘05 grand slam.

The official story was “contract negotiations” and “player power” but it seems pretty odd or at most a half-truth 

That he then went to go live and raise his family in Ireland makes it doubly weird to me 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2022 at 10:44pm

Watching Slammed - I wasn’t aware of what was going on at the time as I was barely a teenager. But what was the actual reason Mike Ruddock left 1 year after the ‘05 grand slam.

The official story was “contract negotiations” and “player power” but it seems pretty odd or at most a half-truth 

That he then went to go live and raise his family in Ireland makes it doubly weird to me 

Don't forget that Ruddock's wife is Irish. I also think he was offered a coaching job out there. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 26>
  Share Topic