Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WRU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2022 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

I think welsh fans have to realise that the regions will never be competitive whilst under the yoke of the WRU.

I'd love to go back to only welsh clubs playing each other. I have no love for the URC or any of the other teams playing in it. 

European rugby has lost it's appeal after cutting the number of group games to 4... rugby is going to poo...
But just Welsh clubs playing each other would be the end of professional rugby in Wales. We’d have to go semi pro or amateur 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2022 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

I think welsh fans have to realise that the regions will never be competitive whilst under the yoke of the WRU.

I'd love to go back to only welsh clubs playing each other. I have no love for the URC or any of the other teams playing in it. 

European rugby has lost it's appeal after cutting the number of group games to 4... rugby is going to poo...
But just Welsh clubs playing each other would be the end of professional rugby in Wales. We’d have to go semi pro or amateur 

Professional rugby in Wales is dying anyway. The WRU do not want 4 clubs, they would probably love it to go down to two, which is totally unsustainable.

No welsh side is going to win anything for the foreseeable future under the current guidance of the WRU, so there really isn't a point on flogging a dead horse. 
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2022 at 4:06pm
I do understand the pessimism surrounding Welsh rugby but, for me, I am an eternal optimist. We have quality players often despite the WRU; we have a stadium - the Principality, which is the envy of many. What we desperately need is a governance structure fit for the professional era. I cannot ever see that happening under the leadership of Mr Butcher & Steve Phillips. I hope they prove me wrong but bigger basket cases than Welsh rugby have been transformed by the right people with the right attitude. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2022 at 5:30pm
The weu want to own all the regions and centrally contract all the best players to foxus on team wakes and it’s success , they could care less if the regions win matches let alone silver wear
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 11:33am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

What we desperately need is a governance structure fit for the professional era. I cannot ever see that happening under the leadership of Mr Butcher & Steve Phillips. I hope they prove me wrong but bigger basket cases than Welsh rugby have been transformed by the right people with the right attitude. 

We've had the right people and the right attitude - and once they mentioned a change in governance, separating the pro and amateur game - they were voted out by the clubs.

Phillips and Butcher may be awful, out of their depth, and dragging the game back, but I'm afraid the real blockage to success are the people running the community clubs. They will not let the pro teams be in control of their own destiny. Shame on them.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 11:37am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The weu want to own all the regions and centrally contract all the best players to foxus on team wakes and it’s success

No they don't. They can't even afford to fund the one they own properly.

What they want is to keep the 4 pro clubs' heads just above water, so they hang on by a thread, but don't thrive - paying as little as possible to the 4 regions as they can. That way they can keep taking the players whenever they need them but don't have to pay proper market rates for player release - citing our poor performance as a result.

If they wanted us to thrive, we would have seen that CVC money.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 11:40am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

The weu want to own all the regions and centrally contract all the best players to foxus on team wakes and it’s success

No they don't. They can't even afford to fund the one they own properly.

What they want is to keep the 4 pro clubs' heads just above water, so they hang on by a thread, but don't thrive - paying as little as possible to the 4 regions as they can. That way they can keep taking the players whenever they need them but don't have to pay proper market rates for player release - citing our poor performance as a result.

If they wanted us to thrive, we would have seen that CVC money.
As ever, two spot on Kid A posts 🎯
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 12:46pm

What we desperately need is a governance structure fit for the professional era. I cannot ever see that happening under the leadership of Mr Butcher & Steve Phillips. I hope they prove me wrong but bigger basket cases than Welsh rugby have been transformed by the right people with the right attitude. 

We've had the right people and the right attitude - and once they mentioned a change in governance, separating the pro and amateur game - they were voted out by the clubs.

Phillips and Butcher may be awful, out of their depth, and dragging the game back, but I'm afraid the real blockage to success are the people running the community clubs. They will not let the pro teams be in control of their own destiny. Shame on them.

Fair comment Kid A. Gareth Davies knew the way forward.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 7:29pm

didn’t realise was the community clubs who set up the urc fixtire list? Or who signed a deal with low guranteed inciime Or who play test match rugby outside the test window or in cardiffs case ailenate half of their potential fan base or whp keep appointing hopeless coaches who are miles out of their depth. I’m all for splitting the pro and grass roots game but to put all the blame for pro rugbys ills on then is nonsense tbh. A strong grass roots gane underpins a strong pro game it doesn’t undermine it. Where do you think the next group of pro and test players start to learn the game?

Edited by RR1972 - 11 August 2022 at 7:43pm
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 10:03pm

didn’t realise was the community clubs who set up the urc fixtire list? Or who signed a deal with low guranteed inciime Or who play test match rugby outside the test window or in cardiffs case ailenate half of their potential fan base or whp keep appointing hopeless coaches who are miles out of their depth. I’m all for splitting the pro and grass roots game but to put all the blame for pro rugbys ills on then is nonsense tbh. A strong grass roots gane underpins a strong pro game it doesn’t undermine it. Where do you think the next group of pro and test players start to learn the game?
With respect this is nonsense. Until there’s is a complete separation between the community game and pro game then forget about it. And yes I am saying the community game is holding back the pro game. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 10:25pm
Ok all these scarlet players rock up to the scarletsc academy with out ever  having played for any junior clubsWinkWinkCry,the urc holds the pro game back untill we get a b and i lge we will always struggle

Edited by RR1972 - 11 August 2022 at 10:26pm
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 11:04pm

Ok all these scarlet players rock up to the scarletsc academy with out ever  having played for any junior clubsWinkWinkCry,the urc holds the pro game back untill we get a b and i lge we will always struggle
In order to thrive, the game has to have balance.

WRU governance balance is so far weighted against the pro clubs.

It needs to change.

If the pro clubs thrive, so will the community clubs. The pro game attracts the big(ger) money.

If the top of the pyramid flourishes, so should the rest of the game.

Unfortunately the experience of the folk leading the WRU isn’t suitable for managing a multi million pound business. They recruited but couldn’t retain someone who was totally suitable for some reason or another.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 11:18pm
A strong test team needs a strong pro game a strong pro game needs a strong grass roots game.  The more kids we have playing age group and schools rugby the more chance we have of getting better players for the regions and then for wales. Long term we need to look at getting better coaching better facilities better s and c for the youngsters for the  future for welsh rugby. Short tern givving the regions more money to make us more competive will help. But long term more funding for age and schools rugby is key. I don’t want money for grass roots to be spent on playwrs for the first team to win trophys for these clubs, it’s to run age group and youth sides  As i said i’m happy to see the pro game run seperately but let’s not forget the fact plenty of pro welsh rugby clubs babkrupted themselves paying money they didn’t have in the past

Edited by RR1972 - 11 August 2022 at 11:23pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 11:24pm

A strong test team needs a strong pro gane a strong pro game needs a strong grass roots game.  The more kids we have playing age group and schools rugby the more chance we have of getting better players for the regions and then for wales. Long term we need to look at getting better coaching better facilities better s and c for the youngsters for the  future for welsh rugby. Short tern givving the regions more money to make us more competive will help. But long term more funding for age and schools rugby is key
The PRB is subservient to the main WRU board which has a community club majority. You have absolute world class administrators like Amanda Blanc not being able to push her ideas through because you have unqualified halfwits who don’t have the best interests of Welsh rugby at heart blocking every idea she has. The representative from a local club thinking he knows more than the CEO of Aviva is the equivalent of me lecturing a surgeon on how to amputate a limb. Total separation between the community and pro game is needed if the game in this country is to thrive. Also if you look at the most successful test nations like SA, NZ, England etc it’s the schools system which sustains it.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 11:35pm
Our schools rugby system is dreadful though, less schools play, less kids play, there are less fixtures, less qualified coaches and s and c coaching is non existant.  Those schools you point out are generally fee paying , the kids there are boarders and they have top coaches there . Wales schools have none of that and the wru need to invest in them and age group
Club rugby
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 11:37pm

Our schools rugby system is dreadful though, less schools play, less kids play, there are less fixtures, less qualified coaches and s and c coaching is non existant.  Those schools you point out are generally fee paying , the kids there are boarders and they have top coaches there . Wales schools have none of that and the wru need to invest in them and age group
Club rugby
The grass roots has £11.5m ringfenced to it. It’s the pro game that needs investment 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>
  Share Topic