Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Simon Muderak Scrum V Podcast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simon Muderak Scrum V Podcast
    Posted: 08 April 2021 at 9:28am
Just listen to Simon talking on Scrum V Podcast, very interesting listen. if  you get a chance listen to it. a lot of good info on finances, players and coaches and the way forward. 
The cost per game of players is mad Kalamafoni costs 1/10th per game of what the welsh internationals cost. our squad costs £8mill a year but Benettons spend £10million euros, Leinster £13/14 milliion. And when the internationals are away our match day squad for the year is £3million. 
The Region has had nothing off the WRU as yet, only the load off the Welsh Assembly
nice answers about Peel as well, he thinks he will be back at the region some day but they couldnt tie him down to an answer if he is coming to us now.

think we are very lucky to have him in charge and the board.

Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 9:35am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

our squad costs £8mill a year but Benettons spend £10million euros, Leinster £13/14 milliion.

It was 13m Euros I think. That's what wins leagues and cups. All about the money.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 9:47am

Just listen to Simon talking on Scrum V Podcast, very interesting listen. if  you get a chance listen to it. a lot of good info on finances, players and coaches and the way forward. 
The cost per game of players is mad Kalamafoni costs 1/10th per game of what the welsh internationals cost. our squad costs £8mill a year but Benettons spend £10million euros, Leinster £13/14 milliion. And when the internationals are away our match day squad for the year is £3million. 
The Region has had nothing off the WRU as yet, only the load off the Welsh Assembly
nice answers about Peel as well, he thinks he will be back at the region some day but they couldnt tie him down to an answer if he is coming to us now.

Just listened myself and I share your sentiments.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 10:28am
That SM is a very clever competent chairman is in no doubt. That he is all over the financial facts & figures again isn't in doubt. Whether he can sort out the messes on his watch at the moment remain to be seen. Those messes are the WRU/regional relationship & our badly performing squad of coaches/players. Good luck Simon we are behind you. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Just listened myself and I share your sentiments.

Yes he was very straightforward and informative. The payments made to the Premiership clubs were also galling ! It’s certainly an unequal rugby society in the U.K. and Ireland with Wales being the pauper! 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 10:34am
Will give this a listen when I go for a run later.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 10:54am
It just highlighted how the wru are screwing the regions. (In a politically correct way)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 11:14am
21 million compared to maybe 8 million we receive.and we wonder how sale buy all.these SA players
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:24pm
Wales has basically almost always had to rely on home grown talent/youngsters as we can't afford to sign big name players. It is a double edged sword. From an international stand point it suits Wales to be poor as more young players get game time and it has probably been a big factor in Wales being competitive internationally for so long. Had the regions been well off and importing lots of big names the Welsh team would probably have suffered. It leads to the question, are the WRU aware of this (probably), and if so, are they doing the bare minimum to finance the regions to keep the international team relevant? (probably)
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Wales has basically almost always had to rely on home grown talent/youngsters as we can't afford to sign big name players. It is a double edged sword. From an international stand point it suits Wales to be poor as more young players get game time and it has probably been a big factor in Wales being competitive internationally for so long. Had the regions been well off and importing lots of big names the Welsh team would probably have suffered. It leads to the question, are the WRU aware of this (probably), and if so, are they doing the bare minimum to finance the regions to keep the international team relevant? (probably)
Agreed France are only just recovering now from the big influx of cash into their league. Remember seeing Clermont vs Toulon at Twickenham for the european cup final when there was just a handful of french players for both clubs.  A balance is needed to be struck though. Or the quality/ exodus of welsh players will continue as they look for silverware or better financial opportunities. 
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

our squad costs £8mill a year but Benettons spend £10million euros, Leinster £13/14 milliion.

It was 13m Euros I think. That's what wins leagues and cups. All about the money.

How do Benetton figure in to that thinking?
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:55pm
The podcast was an interesting listen. His points about the reasons for our loss against Sale were very much a cop out - but an understandable one. He’s hardly going to slate our coaching or playing staff in the public domain, nor should he. I just hope behind the scenes the difficult conversations are being had and more importantly that the difficult decisions are being made!

I couldn’t make head or tail of his comments about incoming players, whether we’re likely to see many more signings for next season or not. I’m certainly not expecting any big name signings.

Again with Peel, he neither confirmed or denied. It’s certain contact has been made and discussions have been had, but I certainly didn’t get the impression that negotiations are finished or close to being finished. Much will depend on what arrangement Dwayne comes to with the blues. It was certainly acknowledged that much has changed at the blues since Dwayne signed.

He seems to talk a lot of sense on the business front, the need to further take advantage of the commercial opportunities available to us and to continue to look to expand the appeal of rugby internationally. He seemed genuinely pleased about the new tv deal which is nearly finalised.

I feel we’re in good hands behind the scenes, but the test will be in how our current crisis is dealt with. 
gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:46pm
I agree N14, Simon spoke very well. He's clearly passionate about us. 

I hope some new players do arrive as we need new fresh faces. We also need new fresh faces on the coaching front and I'm hopeful Dwayne arrives at the Parc. 

Simon spoke about looking at players NWQ and also players who are looking to return to Wales to push for international honours. I can think of Tommy Reffell, Thomas Young and Dan Thomas falling into this category. The other player is George Nott, a 2nd row, who was listed on the Welsh qualified list of players that the Welsh coaches were looking at in an article on the WOL recently. 
eds
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

21 million compared to maybe 8 million we receive.and we wonder how sale buy all.these SA players

Large boots and large brown paper envelopes?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
pillory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pillory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 2:23pm
Michael Collins?
Owen Williams?

Originally posted by gorau gorau wrote:

I hope some new players do arrive as we need new fresh faces. We also need new fresh faces on the coaching front and I'm hopeful Dwayne arrives at the Parc. 

Simon spoke about looking at players NWQ and also players who are looking to return to Wales to push for international honours. I can think of Tommy Reffell, Thomas Young and Dan Thomas falling into this category. The other player is George Nott, a 2nd row, who was listed on the Welsh qualified list of players that the Welsh coaches were looking at in an article on the WOL recently. 
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by pillory pillory wrote:

Michael Collins?
Owen Williams?

Originally posted by gorau gorau wrote:

Collins headed to Ospreys. Owen is probably on decent wedge in Japan, not sure we’d offer him what he wants. Would probably become first choice until Costelow is ready based off Patch’s injury record.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic