Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Simon Muderak Scrum V Podcast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2021 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

The more I think about his comments regarding the returning Welsh contingent and their exhaustion and calls the more nonsensical it sounds. If that represents the general explanation from those involved & not something along the lines of " it was a totally unacceptable performance which let down all those associated with the club" then perhaps we are overestimating the current competency of our board. 

I thought he was very open and the remarks re using Welsh calls sounds perfectly true in the context of pressure play in the heat of battle. I also am confident this was not happening all game for goodness sake , but it did happen ( unless you are suggesting our Chair is a liar?) with his thoughts about the wider point of the structure of Welsh rugby to be considered apart from reviewing  the Sale game. I thought it an interesting podcast 

I am hoping our Chair is being diplomatic in public and that our board are being brutally honest in private.

I think he threw the internationals under a bus.  Two things - a) they made "wrong calls". Is that saying they ignored the coach's plans? Does that suggest they have no confidence in the coach? Or b) - there was confusion about what they should be doing leading to "wrong calls" being made. Does that suggest that coaches are unable to communicate clearly what is needed to the players?

Either way it isn't good.
We are all facing that bus. Perhaps being honest and open with that small aspect of the game which was set in the wider context of trying to explain the major challenges in Welsh rugby should be avoided. No wonder people keep mouths shut if honesty inspires negativity from Supporters of the club 🤨 I found it a very interesting podcast personally but everyone has their views 
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2021 at 5:12pm

The more I think about his comments regarding the returning Welsh contingent and their exhaustion and calls the more nonsensical it sounds. If that represents the general explanation from those involved & not something along the lines of " it was a totally unacceptable performance which let down all those associated with the club" then perhaps we are overestimating the current competency of our board. 

I thought he was very open and the remarks re using Welsh calls sounds perfectly true in the context of pressure play in the heat of battle. I also am confident this was not happening all game for goodness sake , but it did happen ( unless you are suggesting our Chair is a liar?) with his thoughts about the wider point of the structure of Welsh rugby to be considered apart from reviewing  the Sale game. I thought it an interesting podcast 

I am hoping our Chair is being diplomatic in public and that our board are being brutally honest in private.

I think he threw the internationals under a bus.  Two things - a) they made "wrong calls". Is that saying they ignored the coach's plans? Does that suggest they have no confidence in the coach? Or b) - there was confusion about what they should be doing leading to "wrong calls" being made. Does that suggest that coaches are unable to communicate clearly what is needed to the players?

We are all facing that bus. Perhaps being honest and open with that small aspect of the game which was set in the wider context of trying to explain the major challenges in Welsh rugby should be avoided. No wonder people keep mouths shut if honesty inspires negativity from Supporters of the club 🤨 I found it a very interesting podcast personally but everyone has their views 
With a result like that, it was probable that most people were already under that bus, or in their own trough of despair. The result and performance was the cause of that.

I’m with Reesy and others on here that our Chair is a force for good and wouldn’t want to swap. 

It was also good to hear something specific rather than the generalisations trotted out by many interviewees on autopilot.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2021 at 5:57pm
Liam Williams has played 3 games for the Scarlets since the season started. He's played 8 for Wales between AIs and 6N. You can probably make a similar comparison with Halfpenny, Foxy, Cawdor, Ball, Ken...

Make of that what you will.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2021 at 6:30pm
On Sunday night I would have gladly driven the bloody bus 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2021 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Liam Williams has played 3 games for the Scarlets since the season started. He's played 8 for Wales between AIs and 6N. You can probably make a similar comparison with Halfpenny, Foxy, Cawdor, Ball, Ken...

A poor return on investment.

Not any different to other regions in fairness, except we had more Team Wales members of course.

Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2021 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Not any different to other regions in fairness, except we had more Team Wales members of course.

And the last nWQ batch has been pretty much awful; Ratuva has been poor, Lousi a red card magnet and injury prone (and poor for NH rugby), Thomson has been excelent, but has missed a lot of time due to injuries, concussions and Scotland.

When you look at the 2017 squad that won the Pro'12 you can see a theme (on top of fewer injuries): more nWQ players with no international commitments yet (McNichol, Beirne, Barclay) and a group of players who were probably at their peak: Cawdor, Patchell, Shingler, Scott, Foxy, Parkes, Liam...

There is no way you can build a team throughout the season in the current circumstances. 

PS And yes, Sale's game was a disgrace.

Edited by Exkixu - 09 April 2021 at 7:19pm
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

Captain View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2021 at 7:31pm

And the last nWQ batch has been pretty much awful; Ratuva has been poor, Lousi a red card magnet and injury prone (and poor for NH rugby), Thomson has been excelent, but has missed a lot of time due to injuries, concussions and Scotland.

When you look at the 2017 squad that won the Pro'12 you can see a theme (on top of fewer injuries): more nWQ players with no international commitments yet (McNichol, Beirne, Barclay) and a group of players who were probably at their peak: Cawdor, Patchell, Shingler, Scott, Foxy, Parkes, Liam...

There is no way you can build a team throughout the season in the current circumstances. 

You are joking about Lousi?  He has been a fantastic signing for us. Yes a few cards earlier I. The season but has been awesome since the silly punch. 
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2021 at 9:46pm
As the new chairman highlighted, quality NWQ should be a priority when it comes to new signings(value that is).

Beirne, Barclay and Parkes prove that.

Kalamafoni, Lousi are great but we need a couple more in key areas.
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2021 at 10:10pm

Very odd statement.. Tex is the card magnet, Lousi did get a few early on but has been excellent for us yet Blade has had perhaps one good game in 2 years 

You don't mention the coaches who are by far the weakest link of our club.
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2021 at 10:37pm
Squad makeup isn’t beneficial for the future. Lots of older, frequently injured, international unavailable players that we rely on. As said above, key in 2017 were players that we could rely on all season. I don’t expect us to retain every single player, but the average squad age must be getting up there and some of our signings haven’t been great. Not convinced by Tyler Morgan, and I gather he is not cheap.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2021 at 7:43am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

With a result like that, it was probable that most people were already under that bus, or in their own trough of despair. The result and performance was the cause of that.

I’m with Reesy and others on here that our Chair is a force for good and wouldn’t want to swap. 

It was also good to hear something specific rather than the generalisations trotted out by many interviewees on autopilot.

"Inspires negativity" - really. I have already stated that SM comes across as very competent, in full control of the financial facts & implications. The negativity which you seem to relate to stems from comments explaining our dire performance against Sale. Somehow trying to mitigate the disaster by suggesting that returning Internationals, with two weeks preparation, were exhausted & still in Wales squad mode does SM no favours. 

I have every belief that the fallout from that performance has caused serious reflection by our board including SM; again in my opinion he would have been better served saying nothing than what he did say which frankly comes across as quite silly. 
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2021 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Captain Captain wrote:

You are joking about Lousi?  He has been a fantastic signing for us. Yes a few cards earlier I. The season but has been awesome since the silly punch. 

He's missed games through injuries and suspensions. And the odd game aside, he's good for a nice looking one hand offload but hardly suited for NH rugby. The same guy that he was with the Hurricanes.

Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2021 at 10:07am
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Very odd statement.. Tex is the card magnet, Lousi did get a few early on but has been excellent for us yet Blade has had perhaps one good game in 2 years 

You don't mention the coaches who are by far the weakest link of our club.

A few early is ok then? Right. Blade has been consistently very good any time he's played. But he was injury prone before he came to us and that hasn't changed. Him being selected by Scotland hasn't helped his cause either.

The coaches are a weak link. Thinking they are the WEAKEST link is just hoping that changing them will fix the issues, simply because it is the easiest fix. The issues run deeper than that. Nigel Davis wasn't THE problem back then, nor was Pivac six months before he led us to a Pro'12 title.

Oh, a few comments from the Pivac Out thread back in 2016/2017:

Everyone been so far pivac's backside all season, all these galacticos on the books now and he can't cope, shambles today. If it wasn't for the international breaks, we wouldn't have been top 6 last season, he's a chancer and I said that this time last season.
Surrounds himself with cronies, and those who question him get booted out the club

What I saw today was an exceptionally poorly prepared team unable to perform the basics. They were pedestrian and constantly failed to break the gainline.
So, is Pivac at fault? Well, he takes the rap, surely, as any "boss" would

Pivac has been dead man walking since Stevos' return.

I said he was a chancer after a handful of games, so many people disagreed, enough is enough, 4 wins out of 20, it's ok though, Pivac drinks with the hierarchy, who cares about the fans, we surely can't pay him off

we have rumours of major issues within the playing squad and the regime is not liked by many. To me it is obvious that the players are not playing for the coaches any longer, IMO Pivac has lost the majority (apart from one) of the dressing room.

And salmidach's bring back Pwds LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic