Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOsian Knott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Osian Knott
    Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:59pm
Really disappointed to read again, another young prospect leaving the Scarlets to join the Ospreys, more disappointing was the quote on the bbc, that fir Osian to fulfill his ambitions, he thought it would be best served by the Ospreys.
Sponsored Links

philturk View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:07pm
We seem to be really struggling to keep hold of talented young players.....Knott, Jac, Baldwin

shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:08pm
We are becoming a bigger laughing stock.
Watch  the region find  excuses that we lose players but can't sign any
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by philturk philturk wrote:

We seem to be really struggling to keep hold of talented young players.....Knott, Jac, Baldwin

Jac left because he is an Ospreys fan, there is nothing we could have done to keep him. Corey left because he wants to, IIRC, play for England. I haven't read the Osian press release yet but certainly we couldn't have kept the other 2 here against their will.

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:11pm
Also it's only a 2 year deal.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Scarlswb Scarlswb wrote:

Really disappointed to read again, another young prospect leaving the Scarlets to join the Ospreys, more disappointing was the quote on the bbc, that fir Osian to fulfill his ambitions, he thought it would be best served by the Ospreys.

If you were Osian who do you think you would have a chance to learn your trade off - a seasoned professional who has 10-12 years experience for a top French 14 side with years of Champions League experience including semis and finals or two guys who have played for Gloucester 3rds and Bedwas B team. One is called Brock James the others are Whiffin & Flannagan. Before I am corrected I have used a little poetic licence to make my case!!!!!

Now if we were in a position to announce that Osian would have been coached by a 70+Welsh International & British & Irish Lion things may well have turned out differently. Time is long overdue for us to get our coaching house in order. 
Boisbach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:23pm
For me, this is a big loss, he is an excellent prospect, have seen quite a bit of him at semi pro level and he stands out a mile.

He had an injury beginning of season which held him back a bit, but it looks like he feels he will have more game time at Ospreys.

If he wants to leave there not much we can do about it really, he’s out of contract I believe.

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:25pm
From the press release it sounds its pro sport showing its' ruthless side.

The big facts here for me is that Knott is coming up to 22years old with no pro game under his belt and the squad being cut from 65 to 50 players. Thats pretty much the crux of it.

He has had 2 maybe 3 very serious knee injuries which hasnt helped his development one bit (not sure if its the same knee).

We have the internationals around for more or less the entire season from next season.

When we already have Foxy, Johnny Williams, Steff Hughes, Tyler Morgan as centres, the hot prospect coming through in Eddie James and possibly few other academy centers, plus we have no idea yet on any in comings this is no real surprise (assuming Asquith is also on his way, but if not, thats another center)...we simply can not keep everyone.

If the Ospreys deal works out for him, good on him, but it seems like a punt for the Ospreys. Sometimes when you keep getting serious injuries, a change of scene works.

Boisbach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:29pm
Agree Eddie James is another big prospect coming through, fingers crossed.

Is a very good footballer, has size and a huge boot.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

From the press release it sounds its pro sport showing its' ruthless side.

The big facts here for me is that Knott is coming up to 22years old with no pro game under his belt and the squad being cut from 65 to 50 players. Thats pretty much the crux of it.

He has had 2 maybe 3 very serious knee injuries which hasnt helped his development one bit (not sure if its the same knee).

We have the internationals around for more or less the entire season from next season.

When we already have Foxy, Johnny Williams, Steff Hughes, Tyler Morgan as centres, the hot prospect coming through in Eddie James and possibly few other academy centers, plus we have no idea yet on any in comings this is no real surprise (assuming Asquith is also on his way, but if not, thats another center)...we simply can not keep everyone.

If the Ospreys deal works out for him, good on him, but it seems like a punt for the Ospreys. Sometimes when you keep getting serious injuries, a change of scene works.

Totally agree with this, good post. 
Captain View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:33pm
Yes it is disappointing that we lose players, if they state that they will learn from Watkins (not Scott Williams) or Jon Davies, then I think there is more to to it. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Boisbach Boisbach wrote:

For me, this is a big loss, he is an excellent prospect, have seen quite a bit of him at semi pro level and he stands out a mile.

He had an injury beginning of season which held him back a bit, but it looks like he feels he will have more game time at Ospreys.

If he wants to leave there not much we can do about it really, he’s out of contract I believe.

Yes I had heard much the same about Osian. Big unit with a good kicking & offloading game. I fully appreciate that you cannot keep everyone happy when you have a squad in excess of 50 players but there is a worrying trend appearing at PYS - Baldwin, Jac & Osian. Clearly we do not come across as a club going somewhere. Winning the title in 2017 & competing hard in Europe for a couple of years is now history. Players are interested in the here and now.

All we can hope is that we get our acts together and we may then appeal to these lads when their new contracts come to an end. 
gorau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:38pm
Osian was rumoured to be off so this isn't big news, but still disappointing. I hope some positivity will come from the Parc soon, as currently there is nothing. No positivity in announcement news and no positivity or excitement from us on the playing front. Just in one single week we've seen a really poor performance backed up by announcements of two players leaving, Osian and Uzair (whilst he hasn't been announced formally yet by us he has been announced as signing for Bayonne by the French press). It is disappointing. 

I'm increasingly worried about us. Simon spoke very well on the Scrum V podcast last night, he was frank and honest. We are trimming our squad from 65 to 50, but I do hope we'll see some signings arrive as it's clear we need new fresh faces. 

Some positive news next week or in the next few weeks, before our next match, would be great.
eds
jimmywilde View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:57pm
Good luck to the lad.
I hope to see him fulfil his potential.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 2:58pm

It's an interesting quote that.

PE SA's post further down is very relevant too. Particularly on age. Osian has lost a season and a half of development time through serious injury and Covid and needs to play for sure. Lots of similarity to Baldwin, who is 23 this year, and yet to break through.
Backs need to have become a regular match day 23 player by the time they are 21/22 or they just get overtaken by younger talent ( forwards a couple of years later generally)

Double wages plus a promise of a few games is enough for some just desperate to get on in the game. Can't fault that ideal.

The move doesn't really stand up too well under scrutiny though. The Ospreys have 3 centers with a similar age profile to Osian ( Kieran Williams, Thomas-Wheeler and Watkin) all on extended contracts and payed a lot, and a really good young 12 prospect in joe Hawkins (19 this year, wand has just moved up the pecking order, and could well surpass all the others).
They also have Michael Collins coming in to play centre next season.
Not all that easy to see where he might fit in.

Anyway, best of luck to him, clearly a talent, and at the end of the day he's just trying to make a living, like all of us.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

It's an interesting quote that.

PE SA's post further down is very relevant too. Particularly on age. Osian has lost a season and a half of development time through serious injury and Covid and needs to play for sure. Lots of similarity to Baldwin, who is 23 this year, and yet to break through.
Backs need to have become a regular match day 23 player by the time they are 21/22 or they just get overtaken by younger talent ( forwards a couple of years later generally)

Double wages plus a promise of a few games is enough for some just desperate to get on in the game. Can't fault that ideal.

The move doesn't really stand up too well under scrutiny though. The Ospreys have 3 centers with a similar age profile to Osian ( Kieran Williams, Thomas-Wheeler and Watkin) all on extended contracts and played a lot, and a really good young 12 prospect in Joe Hawkins (19 this year, wand has just moved up the pecking order, and could well surpass all the others).
They also have Michael Collins coming in to play centre next season.
Not all that obvious to see where he might fit in, on the surface of it it looks similar to where he is at the Scarlets.

Anyway, best of luck to him, clearly a talent, and at the end of the day he's just trying to make a living, like all of us.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic