Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Voter ID

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:37am
It’s free to join the student union isnt it? What if your working but spend one day a week in college you don’t pay then? As i said it should be free for those who can’t afford photo id problem solved.  There is no reason for people to object if it’s free 

Edited by RR1972 - 16 May 2021 at 12:40am
Sponsored Links

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

It’s free to join the student union isnt it? What if your working but spend one day a week in college you don’t pay then? As i said it should be free for those who can’t afford photo id problem solved.  There is no reason for people to object if it’s free 
You can’t join the Student Union without being a student, and I’m pretty sure that after a certain age (I said 18 but I may be wrong, I think it may be a little older) you have to pay for any course you do, even if it’s one day a week or an evening course. Most technical courses such as electricians/plumbers/bricklaying etc is paid for by employers.

I don’t know if there’s still no reason to object if it’s free. If it is free I will accept that that’s good. But is it genuinely worth taxpayer money to create, verify, distribute, upkeep, replace voter ID cards for 6 confirmed cases of voter fraud?

Shouldn’t we be making it easy for people to vote, not adding more hurdles that clearly benefit the party in power (as most of their supporters already have photo ID as seen in the FT article I linked to you).
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by PenScarlet44 PenScarlet44 wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

So why do we need them at all?
To stop voter fraud ? Why is it so difficult when the majority have a form of I'd , it's not difficult
To stop 6 confirmed/prosecuted cases of voter fraud in the last election?

Voting is a right for everyone, not just the majority. The majority of people can walk, doesn’t mean we should get rid of wheelchair ramps. The majority of people can see, doesn’t mean we should get rid of a Braille.

Just by saying “it’s okay to make it more difficult for people to vote because the majority won’t have any issues with it” is wrong.

That is a brilliant and succinct summary of what is wrong with the idea.

Thank you.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

To stop voter fraud ? Why is it so difficult when the majority have a form of I'd , it's not difficult

Voting is a right for everyone, not just the majority. The majority of people can walk, doesn’t mean we should get rid of wheelchair ramps. The majority of people can see, doesn’t mean we should get rid of a Braille.

Just by saying “it’s okay to make it more difficult for people to vote because the majority won’t have any issues with it” is wrong.

Thank you.
personally i don’t see a comparison between blind people using braille to read. And people needing photo id to vote you need photo id to get a bank account a bus pass join a gym or even a library. As i said i find it a bit bizarre people don’t have at least one form of photo id in 2021.  In my wallet i have at least two cards with photo id right now But i also don’t see voter fraud as being a big issue so it’s not a huge issue for me . I would point out a lot of people against photo id for voting are for it for having things like a twitter account. I’m all for id cards in general tbh would help cut down on crime,fraud and illegal employment. Plenty of other countries use them. Btw i’m not a tory voter and i want them out of power

Edited by RR1972 - 17 May 2021 at 1:27pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 1:47pm

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Thank you.
personally i don’t see a comparison between blind people using braille to read. And people needing photo id to vote you need photo id to get a bank account a bus pass join a gym or even a library. As i said i find it a bit bizarre people don’t have at least one form of photo id in 2021.  In my wallet i have at least two cards with photo id right now But i also don’t see voter fraud as being a big issue so it’s not a huge issue for me . I would point out a lot of people against photo id for voting are for it for having things like a twitter account. I’m all for id cards in general tbh would help cut down on crime,fraud and illegal employment. Plenty of other countries use them. Btw i’m not a tory voter and i want them out of power

You may find it bizarre, but the government's own figures apparently stated that 2 million people don't have photo ID.

Rather than take the word of one or other political party, we can look at the opinion of a body not aligned with any part whatsoever - the electoral reform society:

The ERS says this about the proposal:

"Boris Johnson once pledged to ‘eat’ his ID if he was ever forced to show it by the government. Yet he is now introducing a ‘show your papers’ policy at the ballot box that is the misguided and wrong. At a cost of up to £20,000,000 per general election, this plan to force people to bring ID to vote is an expensive distraction from the problems the country faces.

Millions of people lack ID in the UK, and these expensive and undemocratic plans risk blocking them from the ballot box. Nobody should be turned away from a polling station or have to wait in line at their local council to be approved to vote because their driving licence is still in their maiden name, or their passport expired."

As one example of someone with no photo ID - my aged mother can no longer see well enough to drive so has relinquished her driving licence, and can no longer travel abroad as she is frail so has relinquished her passport.

And yet, you want to disenfranchise her?

Really?

Edited by aber-fan - 17 May 2021 at 1:48pm
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 1:57pm
As ive said give everyone free id cards. No way 2.000.000 who vote on a regular basis don’t have a photo id in my view anyhow
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 7:36am

As ive said give everyone free id cards. No way 2.000.000 who vote on a regular basis don’t have a photo id in my view anyhow

I'd give up while you are behind on this one RR - think about Santa PonsaSmile
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:51am
Ha my nick name should be the salmon always swimming against the tide😂😂👍
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic