Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scottish/Welsh Independence.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Openside75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2022 at 3:25pm
[QUOTE=dyniol53]One thing that goes under the radar is the progress the welsh language is making all over Wales 

I think you'll find that Welsh speakers here have actually been declining since 2018. And in the last survey, a slight increase from the periods before, might be down to a flawed survey. 

And whilst we might have the highest amount of Welsh speakers here in Carmarthenshire, those Welsh speakers are now under half of the county's population. 

Edited by Openside75 - 07 March 2022 at 3:27pm
Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2022 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Openside75 Openside75 wrote:

I think you'll find that Welsh speakers here have actually been declining since 2018. And in the last survey, a slight increase from the periods before, might be down to a flawed survey. 

Interesting, yeah sometimes these surveys can be flawed as they change the criteria for “welsh speaking” 

But would be worth understanding why it is declining recently, if it is.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2022 at 5:54pm
Immigration from outside the uk would have an impact. As wpuld an inflyx of english people to wales
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2022 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

One thing that goes under the radar is the progress the welsh language is making all over Wales 

I know from speaking to a Catalan friend that minority language campaigners around Europe admire and hold up the campaign to maintain and grow the welsh language in Wales as pioneering.

I’ve said before, but I think if every £ or minute of campaigners time promoting Welsh independence from Westminster was instead focussed on growing use of the Welsh language, Wales will be in a better position culturally in 10 years than it is now. 

It was great seeing this over the weekend too:- 

Da iawn, wir!

It's always good to see people (from outside Wales, or non-Welsh speakers) taking the time and trouble to learn the language...

I think in general it's good for anyone to learn a language as a gateway to having a better experience and understanding of another culture... you learn to see what's good and not so good about your own culture, as well as the 'new' one... (I moved to France for several years in my 30s). 

As for the English (or anyone else) moving to Wales - why not - but obviously, from my POV, it would be of benefit to themselves and the community if they could learn Welsh - especially in the more Welsh-speaking areas. Many do, but also quite a few can't be bothered (or worse). It's all to do with respect and tolerance...
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
  Share Topic