FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Edinburgh Match

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edinburgh Match
    Posted: 15 June 2021 at 2:29pm
he was angling in quite a bit, although he got pinged 1 scrum when their tightheads knee hit the ground which should have been pen for us. 
more rugby and scrummaging rob gets the better he will get. 
but at the moment he is behind wyn and steff thomas in terms of scrummaging. 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Sponsored Links

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Is it only me that thinks Rob Evans is looking rather svelte? Is that impacting his scrummaging?

I thought on Sunday he was penalised for binding on the arm. Someone noted that he was also angling in, however he was only penalised the once I think
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 12:42pm
Is it only me that thinks Rob Evans is looking rather svelte? Is that impacting his scrummaging?
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 7:14am
Typical Scarlet history, some displays of defence have been incredible the 14 man win at Leinster etc and then some absolute shockers. Its the same roller coaster ride as always from the Scarlets, but missed or attempted acrobatic flying jingly tackle stuff does ny swede in tbh. Its rugby not football.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 7:09am
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

I rarely post on this forum, but enjoy reading it. I am so dismayed however ,at the car crash of this  season, feel compelled to express my frustration with fellow scarlets fans and members! "Rochester" is spot on with everything he says. His posts are always thoughtful, and generally constructive !I dislike criticising individual players, no one goes out to play badly, but in professional sport ,you have to be judged  ultimately !Also its difficult to criticise the board, for their decisions, because many of them have dug deep in their pockets to keep scarlets in business. They did however make a mistake in appointing Delaney, and recognised it too late, by sacking him! From the very first game of the season against Munster, there were issues with structure and discipline. Ironically, on that day Munster's discipline was worse than ours, and we should have won, but failed to close down the game. Fast forward to the last game of the season, and its exactly the same, failing to shut out opponents and seal the win. Elementary skills in decision making and defence were completely absent, because its totally unforgiveable to ship 14 points in the last 5mins !We were caught in possession after the restart, conceding a pen, and a 5 metre line-out, ending with an inevitable score. If we had done the sensible thing, cleared our lines, a line-out  alone would have taken several mins, and eaten up valuable time. Lets be honest, this was a "nothing " game", with little but pride riding on it, but would scarlets have committed a similar error in an important match. ATM, probably so !The coaches have had all season to work on these failings, but sadly, we have made little progress. How Flanagan and Whiffen remain, puzzles me ,as our attack has frequently been slow and predicable! The two league games against the Cardiff blues illustrated that point. This leads me to the most contentious issue, defence. In my long history of supporting the scarlets and Llanelli, I cannot think of more pitiful defending, leading to THREE 50 point drubbings ! Against Leinster, it was not great, but with a full side to ship 50 points at home against sale in such a key game, was an utter disgrace! To make matters worse, we then shipped 50 points against the dragons in an awful display !Several members of our backline squad are just not good tacklers, dan jones, staff evans, ryan conbeer, an tyler morgan, to name a few. Its not just our individual tackling skills that are lacking, but an overall collective structure. We defend to shallow sometimes and are outflanked. In the modern era, defence wins games, as we know from Sean Edwards influence for Wales. Under Byron Hayward defence was good, and I remember sterling team performances in the European cup against Toulon, and La Rochelle. Who therefore has been responsible for defence this season ?was Delaney doubling up as defence, & head coach? Whatever the answer it was a disaster. Top priority now, as "rochester", and others have stated, is a defence coach, someone who can drill the team in to something vaguely resembling a professional unit. Its sad to say, and I hate saying it, that a lot of players seem to be in their comfort zone, and need a harsh dose of reality! Where has Liam Williams been all season, played 3 games ?To conclude, I have supported the scarlets since I was a boy, and will continue to do so, but coved 19 has had a huge impact on our communities, in every way including mental health and finances. In this context,  loyalty alone won't drag people through the turnstiles, it has to earned !I wish Dwayne Peel well, but on the face of it, I reckon we will have to be patient, as significant changes need to be made in regard to attitude , technique and game management. Its likely that our hands are tied financially in the present climate. but it my hope that we can sign a hefty second row, another centre(who can tackle) as 10 /12 channel has been weak. Finally I would like to thank all those players departing. I certainly would like to have kept Scholtz and Cassiem, who impressed even in their last game. Also a big "congratulations" to Nigel Short, gaining hons. Where would we be without him!

Great post and welcome, love your passion.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 4:51am
Many thanks  "Eastern Outpost",for reading(and editing) my post, created out of sheer frustration!Hope you felt it was worth it! As you say ,let us look forward with a little more optimism, with a fresh start under dwaine peel and hopefully some long term injured players like patches, cubby,mcloud (etc),will be back to boost us!
I stood yer on tanner bank
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by shocker shocker wrote:

Originally posted by Tony Clifton Tony Clifton wrote:

Thanks for everything Pieter! Always welcome back.
thank you 
Really good signing Peter was, I'm  sure he can change his mind and stayWink
He will stay anytime,he enjoyed being with the scarlets .
Wasn it for wgj signing,the scarlets would have kept him.
He hopes to become a scarlet it the future again

You can  never have enough good tight heads,  drop a few hints to peel  that you want to stay lol
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 9:25pm

thank you 
That's good to hear. I think it is very fair to say and I am not alone in thinking this, that if we were keeping the players who have performed best this season then Peter would be staying as he has been far more impressive than some of our internationals, who frankly havent been good enough and are relying on past glories. 
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 8:36pm

thank you 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 8:19pm
This is how rubbish Premier Sports are, just watching the highlights on their YouTube channel & after Rogers try we go into. 14-7 lead. The next bit shows 14-14 with Edinburgh in possession just outside out 22, their hooker takes into contact then the video skips to them being on our goal line with the score at 14-7!!
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 7:41pm
Rob and Samson are clearly not match fit. They need a huge pre-season. 
I'm not overly worried about individual defence of certain players - we desperately need a highly effective defence coach to address that. 

There's no reason that the squad we will have in September cannot be competitive, especially if we get some more quality at lock and 13, although I am also worried about 10 if Patch does not return

Edited by Wasp - 14 June 2021 at 7:43pm
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

I rarely post on this forum, but enjoy reading it. I am so dismayed however ,at the car crash of this  season, feel compelled to express my frustration with fellow scarlets fans and members! "Rochester" is spot on with everything he says. His posts are always thoughtful, and generally constructive !

I dislike criticising individual players, no one goes out to play badly, but in professional sport ,you have to be judged  ultimately !

Also its difficult to criticise the board, for their decisions, because many of them have dug deep in their pockets to keep scarlets in business. They did however make a mistake in appointing Delaney, and recognised it too late, by sacking him! 

From the very first game of the season against Munster, there were issues with structure and discipline. Ironically, on that day Munster's discipline was worse than ours, and we should have won, but failed to close down the game. 

Fast forward to the last game of the season, and its exactly the same, failing to shut out opponents and seal the win. 

Elementary skills in decision making and defence were completely absent, because its totally unforgiveable to ship 14 points in the last 5mins !

We were caught in possession after the restart, conceding a pen, and a 5 metre line-out, ending with an inevitable score. If we had done the sensible thing, cleared our lines, a line-out  alone would have taken several mins, and eaten up valuable time. Lets be honest, this was a "nothing " game", with little but pride riding on it, but would scarlets have committed a similar error in an important match. ATM, probably so !

The coaches have had all season to work on these failings, but sadly, we have made little progress. How Flanagan and Whiffen remain, puzzles me ,as our attack has frequently been slow and predicable! The two league games against the Cardiff blues illustrated that point. This leads me to the most contentious issue, defence. 

In my long history of supporting the scarlets and Llanelli, I cannot think of more pitiful defending, leading to THREE 50 point drubbings ! Against Leinster, it was not great, but with a full side to ship 50 points at home against sale in such a key game, was an utter disgrace! To make matters worse, we then shipped 50 points against the dragons in an awful display !

Several members of our backline squad are just not good tacklers, dan jones, staff evans, ryan conbeer, an tyler morgan, to name a few. Its not just our individual tackling skills that are lacking, but an overall collective structure. We defend to shallow sometimes and are outflanked. 

In the modern era, defence wins games, as we know from Sean Edwards influence for Wales. Under Byron Hayward defence was good, and I remember sterling team performances in the European cup against Toulon, and La Rochelle. 

Who therefore has been responsible for defence this season ?was Delaney doubling up as defence, & head coach? Whatever the answer it was a disaster. 

Top priority now, as "rochester", and others have stated, is a defence coach, someone who can drill the team in to something vaguely resembling a professional unit. Its sad to say, and I hate saying it, that a lot of players seem to be in their comfort zone, and need a harsh dose of reality! 

Where has Liam Williams been all season, played 3 games ?

To conclude, I have supported the scarlets since I was a boy, and will continue to do so, but coved 19 has had a huge impact on our communities, in every way including mental health and finances. In this context,  loyalty alone won't drag people through the turnstiles, it has to earned !

I wish Dwayne Peel well, but on the face of it, I reckon we will have to be patient, as significant changes need to be made in regard to attitude , technique and game management. Its likely that our hands are tied financially in the present climate. but it my hope that we can sign a hefty second row, another centre(who can tackle) as 10 /12 channel has been weak. 

Finally I would like to thank all those players departing. I certainly would like to have kept Scholtz and Cassiem, who impressed even in their last game. Also a big "congratulations" to Nigel Short, gaining hons. Where would we be without him!
Thanks and welcome.

Pay no heed to those who gave up reading. They may just be pretending to be part of the young “instant” society, where perseverance is alien.

It’s been a hugely frustrating season for the many reasons you describe and maybe more.

Here’s hoping we’ve turned the corner that has seen our fan base tested to the extreme
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 6:52pm

thank you 
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 6:45pm

thank you 
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 4:56pm
Fscarlet felt the same 😁 I am sure there are a lot of good points there
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

christ mate you could have put some breaks in that text. 

I gave up after the second line!! LOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic