Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets injured players and our best team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 9:48am
Steff just needs to get back to try scoring form, LRZ and Adams are world class with pace and power. Steff has a decent step on him and truth be told i’m not even sure we could get him any decent ball last year. I remember he linked up well with Lousi for a score. 
I dont think Pivac has a nailed on third choice winger and with Cuthbert back who knows. 
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 9:52am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Steff just needs to get back to try scoring form, LRZ and Adams are world class with pace and power. Steff has a decent step on him and truth be told i’m not even sure we could get him any decent ball last year. I remember he linked up well with Lousi for a score. 
I dont think Pivac has a nailed on third choice winger and with Cuthbert back who knows. 

I am afraid Steff's top end pace will cost him not only his Welsh place but also his first choice spot for the Scarlets. The next cab off the back 3 rank for Wales is Jonah Holmes who has pace & power. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 10:05am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I am afraid Steff's top end pace will cost him not only his Welsh place but also his first choice spot for the Scarlets. The next cab off the back 3 rank for Wales is Jonah Holmes who has pace & power. 

I've been really impressed with him since his move to the Dragons. I wasn't too fussed when it was announced he was moving there from the Tigers but fair play to the lad.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 10:08am
We’ll see the direction Peel goes in. We haven’t seen the best of Mcnicholl for a while. 
One of them to deputise at fullback for Halfpenny. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 10:19am
I would hope that for the late September & October games we see plenty of Liam at 15 with McNichol and Rogers on wings. During International windows I would like to see Tomi Lewis get a chance at 15. I think we will only be losing Liam to team Wales from our back 3. 

At centre with Foxy probably starting a bit late I would love to see Scott and Jonny Williams getting a run of games outside Hardy & Patchell with Blacker & Costellow on the bench. All the above benefitting from a fresh pair of eyes who totally understands the Scarlets way. I wonder if Scott's duties may include some input on defence as we haven't heard any news on that front. Perhaps Wil and Steff ( Scarletnut) could add something. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 10:58am
I have asked but I thought we were due two new players a second row and a centre come wing is this not the case anymore. Or is Price the second row and Scott the centre. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 11:42am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

15 Halfpenny
14 Liam
13 Foxy
12 Scott or Jonny
11 Tom Rogers
10 Patchell
9 Cawdor

8 Kalamafoni
7 Lezana / Macleod
6 Shingler
5 Lousi
4 Jones
3 Samson / WillGriff John
2 Ken
1 Wyn Jones

bench:

16 Elias
17 Rob Evans
18 Javan
19 Rawlins
20 Blade
21 Blacker/Hardy
22 Costelow
23 Jonny or Scott

Scarlets team vs Sale this year 
~ Subs

15 Halfpenny
14 Liam Williams
13 S Hughes
12 J Williams ~ Foxy
11 McNicholl
10 D Jones ~ Costelow
9 G Davies ~ Blacker

1 Wyn Jones ~ Thomas
2 Ken Owens ~ Elias
3 Sholtz ~ Javan
4 Ball
5 Lousi 
6 Shingler ~ Blade
7 Jac Morgan
8 Kalamafoni ~ Rawlins

What’s a bit depressing is how strong that team is on paper, with maybe 15 of our current full strength 23. And we all know what happened that day…

What’s less depressing is we know that coaching makes a massive difference in rugby. 

I was just watching Ep.1 of Chasing the Sun, the doc about South Africa winning the 2019 RWC, and before Rassie Erasmus was brought in the same SA players had lost 57-0 to NZ, 38-3 to Ireland and something like 26-13 to Wales. Literally 18 months later they won the World Cup realistically because their coaches changed. 

Obviously Peel isn’t the same calibre of coach as Rassie Erasmus and Jaques Neinaber but change was necessary and we’re getting that.

Edited by dyniol53 - 20 July 2021 at 11:51am
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 3:01pm

i just think pivac doesn’t like him and wont pick him tbh

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 3:07pm
i agree with RR1972 i sadly think steff will not get another cap with pivac there. something not right with the relationship between them which is a crying shame for steff.

Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 5:43pm
Puvac seems to hold a grudge. Not only with steff.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

On what do you base that? On recent performance Steff is nowhere near the national team.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 6:49pm
I remember there being a few rumours about Steff when Pivac dropped him a while back, the official Pivac response was

"Steff has two sides to his game," said the Scarlets head coach.

"We know he has very good footwork and he has done a lot for us in attack in the past.

"At the moment it is about being tougher with the ball in the contact area.

"He has the highest turnover rate and teams are targeting him with the high ball. That's plain for everyone to see.

"He is working on those areas of his game and we would like to think he will be joining our ranks again after some more hard work behind the scenes, which is ongoing."

https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 6:51pm
I totally agree. But when pivac was at the scarlets many pkayers including steff fell foul to his ways. At that time steff wad the inform winger.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 4:02am
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

On what do you base that? On recent performance Steff is nowhere near the national team.

Exactly. Steff just needs to play well for the Scarlets. His defense is suspect, as is our other two young tyros of the same position - Tom Rogers and Ryan Conbeer. I hope we can start fixing that.
Scarlets before Wales
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 9:15am

Tom Rogers his an excellent defender!  Where as Ryan Conbeer and Tomi Lewis have a lot of work to improve there defence and aerial game. 
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 9:19am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Tom Rogers his an excellent defender!  Where as Ryan Conbeer and Tomi Lewis have a lot of work to improve there defence and aerial game. 
I think the point being made is that against big physical wings they would all struggle. That is one big chink in our armoury both in attack and defence, gas and power combined.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic