Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New laws for next season…

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New laws for next season…
    Posted: 23 July 2021 at 4:13pm
Shared by a mate…https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/global-law-trials

Edited by Wil Chips - 23 July 2021 at 4:13pm
Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Shared by a mate…https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/global-law-trials

Glad that the crocodile roll type ruck entry is banned. That Jack Willis injury is horrible.

Not sure the 50:22 tactic will bring much joy though. It might spread the backline's out more, but not enough to change the game drastically.

In my opinion the scrum resets needed a revamp. My idea: Maximum of 2 scrums in any scrummage situation. If there are 2 incomplete scrums, then it's a free kick to team putting in the ball.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 5:55pm
The scrum reset is such a box of frogs. I’m with you on how much time it wastes and how the adjudication can drift in to the subjective a times.

Breaking it down to mechanical 3 steps helps but hasn’t eliminated the resets.

Something more punitive is definitely worth a trial.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 9:10pm
Don’t like this: “If the ball is held up in in-goal, there is a knock-on from an attacking player in in-goal or an attacking kick is grounded by the defenders in their own in-goal, then play restarts with a goal line drop-out anywhere along the goal line.”

How can a knock on (a mistake) be considered equal to being held up (neither ‘positive’ or ‘negative’)? Likewise how can a 70 metre punt from your own 22 that is dotted down by the opposing team have an equal result to an attack that is held up from 2 metres out. Otherwise I quite like the other law changes / trials.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 9:21pm
See I like the fact the defending team get rewarded for holding the attacking team up over the line. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

See I like the fact the defending team get rewarded for holding the attacking team up over the line. 
I do get that argument as it’s incredibly frustrating when your team is defending well but just can’t get the turnover. Perhaps the held up being a 5m scrum for the defending team and the other two scenarios mentioned above being either 22 or goal line dropouts would be a fairer way of doing it, while maintaining the advantage you mentioned above.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 11:05pm
I see where you’re coming from, however the team that got held up get the ball back & it probably removes the need for a couple of scrum resets which is something that we all moan about. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

They do it too well now. I think if you give the same result held up as knock on over the line, you'll see a lot more attempts from the attacking player to get the ball down. 

50 22 will keep wingers back more, for both sides as their examples showed if you kick it direct to the full back and don't have your own wingers covering the touchline you can lose out. I think this will be more opportunistic rather than a deliberate tactic at first but in ping pong could put kicks wider and higher risk. I'm in favour of it but it is adding yet another complexity to the game if you think about all the different rules for who gets the lineout. Just imagine trying to explain to a newbie.

Stricter on latchers off feet is good, get rid of flying wedge makes sense. It may favour defending teams as more than one player can tackle. Teams will have to coordinate the support players better which will mean going into contact slower. 

Jackler clear outs.... still not a clue what's legal or not. This is a lottery and I don't think changes clear it up.

Well intentioned but, as always, teams will figure out ways to get around them.

Plus the caterpillar stays...
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 12:50pm
I like the drop out from try line if held up.

Some of the rules are designed to stop Exeter-like pick and goes being such a safe option, which it currently is. You can take time out of the game while pick-and-going in your oppo’s 5m, and teams even don’t even bother looking for if they’ve got an overlap out wide. 

Then these pick and go try’s also always need TMO assistance which slows down the game - so I think it’s a good move generally.

I agree Doc, the 50/22 one sounds a bit complex to explain to a non-regular fan, but as you say the idea is to get teams defending 2 in the back field which then means there’s only 13 defenders in the defensive line which means attacking team can attack from deeper. 

Good in principle, we’ll see if it just means more teams torpedo-ing into the corner. 

Agree about rucking, but a bit tricky to see what can be done about it.

Caterpillar the easy option is the shorten the “use-it” call, either by shortening the call to 3 seconds or call it from when the nine first touches it with their feet. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2021 at 8:58am
Discussion in The Rugby Paper about how many injuries seem to be caused ( shoulders etc) by collisions from the rugby league type “rush “ defence and whether rules be brought in to stop this 🤔 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2021 at 9:07am
Another one I would like to see taken out of the game is the lock who usually stands a meter or so away from the ruck, right in front of where the 9 will be box kicking for. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic