Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lions dinosaurs call for the end of tactical subs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lions dinosaurs call for the end of tactical subs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 11:21am
Worth noting many current players are pushing for this change as well as are lots in the medical community. It’s got merit 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 11:42am
I sat next to Nigel Owens in a dinner a few months  after the World Cup 2015, he was in favour of this, and so he said were many other people in the game. 

I know many on here are not really Owens's greatest fans, but when top referees, players, medical staff, are talking about it, then at least the rugby world shout respect their views and discuss it.

For what it's worth which is not a lot I know, I totally agree with the idea.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

I sat next to Nigel Owens in a dinner a few months  after the World Cup 2015, he was in favour of this, and so he said were many other people in the game. 

I know many on here are not really Owens's greatest fans, but when top referees, players, medical staff, are talking about it, then at least the rugby world shout respect their views and discuss it.

Its worth a lot Dai - true rugby fans like yourself know when their game is in trouble. Our game was meant to be a handling game & we need to get back to that. The Lions series has truly highlighted many of the wrongs with the current game. That is not meant to decry the Boks who are playing to the rules & lets not forget are World Champions. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

The Lions series has truly highlighted many of the wrongs with the current game. That is not meant to decry the Boks who are playing to the rules & lets not forget are World Champions. 

Exactly you can’t blame coaches for doing what they think they need to win, the lawmakers just need to tweak things so to incentivise more entertaining and skilful strategies 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
bills burr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bills burr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 12:31pm
if they speed it up, increase ball in play time and reduce collisions, the all blacks may put 70 on the aussies next timeLOL
B BURR
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by bills burr bills burr wrote:

if they speed it up, increase ball in play time and reduce collisions, the all blacks may put 70 on the aussies next timeLOL

Indeed they might - but as things stand they won't put many on the BoksOuch
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 12:48pm

There is some merit in this , to many subs .

If there any sense with the law makers , make it illegal to clear out the jackaler. How many very serious injuries have  there been?  since Gwyn Jones broke his neck years ago .

Ban the box kick , terrible to watch . Another very dangerous area of the game , the aerial battle, so dangerous . Game does not need this boring tactic . It made the SA v Lions unwatchable for so many people .
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 12:58pm
so people think keeping players on the pitch for 80 minutes will speed up the game?

Rugby is going backwards at a rate of knots...

we've gone from creating rules to protecting players, to getting rid of tactical subs and forcing players to play 80 minute rugby week in week out...
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 1:01pm
The increasing size of players is also a big issue, so to speak.. I wonder how much of that is from natural training or "normal" diet? Even looking at games only ten years ago a massive difference in physique and collision impact these days.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 1:57pm
I don’t like the way they hold the ball these days and the length of the grass. This is the important thing. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 2:36pm
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Its worth a lot Dai - true rugby fans like yourself know when their game is in trouble. Our game was meant to be a handling game & we need to get back to that. The Lions series has truly highlighted many of the wrongs with the current game. That is not meant to decry the Boks who are playing to the rules & lets not forget are World Champions. 

Thanks GPR
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

This is an insightful interview with Cardiff High Performance manager Trystan Bevan.

That’s a very interesting piece and a good read.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 4:43pm

This is an insightful interview with Cardiff High Performance manager Trystan Bevan.

Good read.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

That’s a very interesting piece and a good read.
Good read and the so called dinosaurs seem more like prophets to me. We can’t go on with things as they are. 
bills burr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bills burr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

so people think keeping players on the pitch for 80 minutes will speed up the game?

Rugby is going backwards at a rate of knots...

we've gone from creating rules to protecting players, to getting rid of tactical subs and forcing players to play 80 minute rugby week in week out...

You are against all suggestions so far mooted and you consider all older ex players dinosaurs, pretty rude really, so lets get productive what are your suggestions?
B BURR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic