Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

.. Match thread v Tigers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsbeno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2021 at 11:03pm
Start Costelow we can’t risk him going if doesn’t play enough 
Sponsored Links

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 8:03am
play him, he is good enough now. he puts spark and pace in the backline
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 10:03am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

play him, he is good enough now. he puts spark and pace in the backline
Agree. Need more dynamism at 10.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 10:42am
Slippery Sam has won the 10 shirt. There is no doubt in my mind.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 10:43am
Him and Scott will be a right handful, and their pack are getting lions shares of posession. If Scott is outside Sam, he will have a good voice inside him to guide him.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Him and Scott will be a right handful, and their pack are getting lions shares of posession. If Scott is outside Sam, he will have a good voice inside him to guide him.

Completely agree.

We need to give Costelow a run of games. Definitely at the start of the season as the ground is still that bit harder and he’s a running threat. 

Come Nov/Dec/Jan I can see Dinky starting just because his kicking game is very well measured.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 11:17am
I don't think Dinky can play at the pace and elusiveness that Peel requires on hard pitches. Maybe as the winter wears on and games become less expansive. but at the moment I'd even have O'Brien on the bench when Patchell is unavailable.
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 11:40am
Dan is an invaluable member of our squad, however, we’ve all seen what his strengths and weaknesses are. If we are to play a more expensive game, then Sam is our man. Dan has had several seasons to stake a claim for the #10 shirt, especially with Patch’s absence. It’s Sam’s turn now. 
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

I do not think we were under pressure, there was parity I felt .

Cole was his illegal scrummaging best, boring in on the angle .
I know you probably didn’t mean it like that but ‘the opposition were scrumming illegally, so we weren’t losing out in the scrums’ isn’t the best argument to use. All season teams will try illegality against us and if the refs don’t penalise it we’ve got to have the cleverness just to do the same thing against the opposition. If we don’t we might be a clean team but we’ll also become a losing team. Just as context I couldn’t catch the game last night and so this comment comes entirely from my reaction to what’s been written on this forum.
Mark was just making an observation which is correct and always has been - Cole scrummages illegally. He has done it for years and I can only assume he has some kind of hold over refs and the media that its not pointed out every single scrum.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 11:57am
Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

Originally posted by bills burr bills burr wrote:

The most biased commentary in rugby history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSkE6xQ4glA
immediately before and after every scarlets try, the commentators heaped praise upon the tigers brilliant defence? bonkers bias mun
Wacko

The commentary seconds before the Steff Hughes and Ryan Conbeer tries wasn't even bias, it was just a lack of understanding of what was happening on the pitch. Genuinely bizarre stuff!
Agree. While we appreciate the effort made to show us the game, its not too much to ask for them to have a team sheet in front of them with a few crib notes. They seemed like they genuinely had no idea who any of our team were. Maybe its just me but i take an interest in more that just our team.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 4:58pm
Much in the same way we have taken a look at Ioan Nicholas at 15, I would like to one day see what Steff Hughes could do at 10......as for me he isnt quite good enough at centre, given the pool we now have. Thoughts?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Much in the same way we have taken a look at Ioan Nicholas at 15, I would like to one day see what Steff Hughes could do at 10......as for me he isnt quite good enough at centre, given the pool we now have. Thoughts?
He played some semi-pro rugby for Llanelli at 10 a few seasons back.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 8:49pm
 In fairness Steff Hughes played really well at 10 ,for the RFC.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

In fairness Steff Hughes played really well at 10 ,for the RFC.

Let’s hope he can do a better job there than Hadleigh did 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2021 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

immediately before and after every scarlets try, the commentators heaped praise upon the tigers brilliant defence? bonkers bias mun
Wacko

The commentary seconds before the Steff Hughes and Ryan Conbeer tries wasn't even bias, it was just a lack of understanding of what was happening on the pitch. Genuinely bizarre stuff!
Agree. While we appreciate the effort made to show us the game, its not too much to ask for them to have a team sheet in front of them with a few crib notes. They seemed like they genuinely had no idea who any of our team were. Maybe its just me but i take an interest in more that just our team.

I was at Welford Road on Thursday evening with my 14 y/o son, surrounded by Tigers fans. I've been there numerous times before, and studied in Leicester for a few years in the '90s, so used to get along to a few games - a lad on my course actually turned out for the Tigers a few times - but I never warmed to their style of play, which is still very much in evidence.

What also hasn't changed is the nature of the Tigers supporters - if anyone accuses a Scarlets supporter of being one-eyed, take them to Welford Road! There's an expectation that they should win every game, and every ball, every contact, every decision in every game, too, and for many it seems to be cloaked in a dour misery. One chap behind us pretty quickly turned on any Leicester player who committed an error, and he didn't take too well to 'Gengey' & co being penalised by a female ref. Angry

Perhaps it's that Tigers have fallen so far from their 'rightful' place at the top of English and European rugby, especially last season. But it was great to see the turn-out of the faithful for a Thursday night pre-season friendly, and I hope that their refreshed coaching team bring a bit more success (and perhaps some flair?) to revive a fallen giant.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Wacko

I was at Welford Road on Thursday evening with my 14 y/o son, surrounded by Tigers fans. I've been there numerous times before, and studied in Leicester for a few years in the '90s, so used to get along to a few games - a lad on my course actually turned out for the Tigers a few times - but I never warmed to their style of play, which is still very much in evidence.

What also hasn't changed is the nature of the Tigers supporters - if anyone accuses a Scarlets supporter of being one-eyed, take them to Welford Road! There's an expectation that they should win every game, and every ball, every contact, every decision in every game, too, and for many it seems to be cloaked in a dour misery. One chap behind us pretty quickly turned on any Leicester player who committed an error, and he didn't take too well to 'Gengey' & co being penalised by a female ref. Angry

Perhaps it's that Tigers have fallen so far from their 'rightful' place at the top of English and European rugby, especially last season. But it was great to see the turn-out of the faithful for a Thursday night pre-season friendly, and I hope that their refreshed coaching team bring a bit more success (and perhaps some flair?) to revive a fallen giant.
Agree, There is a kind of arrogance in expectation. Must have been amazing to see the win in person, its been a long time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic