Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION > Llanelli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli Team v Aberavon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

From the starting 15 I THINK, its the most Llanelli have had in terms of scarlets players for some time.
I believe Ioan Hughes and Ryan Davies the only two backs that are not in the academy whilst 3 or 4 of the starting pack also from the academy as well as OConnor on bench from the academy.

Im not sure who scarlets will want to give Llanelli RFC who can lend some experience in the pack. Dylan Evans is there as an old head, but ideally someone in the mould of Peter Edwards would be welcomed to help the development of the young props as well as hooker Morgan McCrae. At lock, maybe Rawlins has been linked to Llanelli RFC and back row, maybe Carwyn Tuipolotu has been linked with Llanelli RFC. not really sure who else we can give them to be honest. Dwayne spoke that about 75% have been allocated a club and will be playing through the season when not on scarlet duty. the remaining squad members will probably be on regional duty. so lets see what happens over the course of the season. But as for the line up, the line up was pretty much filled with academy lads.

That’s the very point though- Academy LADS who get decimated by the opposition pack after 45 minutes usually and compounded by a weak big lump bench. It’s why Supporters don’t come to watch the RFC . Our attendance is pitiful compared to other proper Premiership clubs. It’s a huge shame and embarrassment. We are Llanelli RFC! The Scarlets need to support the RFC properly so we have the small core of Men in the pack each week and so we can win our games and reflect well on the town but it won’t happen. We should be top three each season not bottom three and still be a big development club. It’s not fair on the paying fans or players or coaches - just my opinion of course. 

i get what your saying but look at the scarlets squad. who can scarlets farm out each week.

Loosehead: Wyn Jones, Rob Evs, Price - these will be with the region each week. Price may be farmed out similar to Mathias being farmed out for fitness. OConnor was on the bench.

Hooker: Ken, Elias, Marc Jones possibly not linked to anyone but Marc Jones may get the odd run out. But hooker Morgan Macrae started for Llanelli. Not sure if Dom Booth is injured.

Tightead: I cant see any of our tightheads having a run out with semi pros if im being honest.

Lock - Sam Lousi, Tom Price probably wont have a run out for anyone, Morgan Jones and Jac Price already allocated sides it seems...looks like Rawlins may play a part with Llanelli - guess work but common sense id have thought. Helps as well maybe though having played more or less all his rugby at Quins, just like Jac Price, i can see him staying at Quins.

So i am not sure who else is available. Scarlets are only just covered for their fixtures!

I do get what you are saying, but one would say that Llanelli RFC are one of few who are utilizing the side for what it was/is intended for. To me the issue is more with the WRU weakness of stopping sides pretty much buying success in what was designed as a development league. Ponty, Ebbw, Merthyr etc all spent on players and for what - thats what shouldnt have happened and shouldnt IMO. The reason many dont follow the RFC varies. For me its when they stopped having a glut of prospects playing. this season, just by the line up of Saturday, that has already changed.  There should be a better system in place like an u23 league, but thats for WRU et al to decide. And theyre too busy choosing curtains for their hotel at the moment than concentrating on rugby issues, so we are stuck with what we have. 

Also, to me, and to thousands of other Scarlets fans, Scarlets are the same Llanelli RFC we have supported for decades. Llanelli RFC as it is today is the next generation of Scarlets players and Saturday had a lot more academy lads than i can even remember - potentially back to when Macleod/Steve Shingler/Steff Evs were playing for them. Going back a fair few seasons.
Since then there hasn't been much. But I personally am encouraged that we will see a difference this year with how Dwayne will want to utilize it.

Who's coaching the RFC now? cant find that info anywhere. What I would like to see happening is developing coaches - or at least those who have an interest - Shingler, Halfpenny etc.

Edited by PE SA - 20 September 2021 at 12:46pm
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 1:01pm
If your not in the 23/24 with travelling subs. You should be playing for a semi pro club on a weekend. It has to be better than training all week and then being sat in the stands, guys like ioan costello o’brien and blacker will all miss out at various stages this year get them to play for the rfc then
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 1:57pm

From the starting 15 I THINK, its the most Llanelli have had in terms of scarlets players for some time.
I believe Ioan Hughes and Ryan Davies the only two backs that are not in the academy whilst 3 or 4 of the starting pack also from the academy as well as OConnor on bench from the academy.

Im not sure who scarlets will want to give Llanelli RFC who can lend some experience in the pack. Dylan Evans is there as an old head, but ideally someone in the mould of Peter Edwards would be welcomed to help the development of the young props as well as hooker Morgan McCrae. At lock, maybe Rawlins has been linked to Llanelli RFC and back row, maybe Carwyn Tuipolotu has been linked with Llanelli RFC. not really sure who else we can give them to be honest. Dwayne spoke that about 75% have been allocated a club and will be playing through the season when not on scarlet duty. the remaining squad members will probably be on regional duty. so lets see what happens over the course of the season. But as for the line up, the line up was pretty much filled with academy lads.

That’s the very point though- Academy LADS who get decimated by the opposition pack after 45 minutes usually and compounded by a weak big lump bench. It’s why Supporters don’t come to watch the RFC . Our attendance is pitiful compared to other proper Premiership clubs. It’s a huge shame and embarrassment. We are Llanelli RFC! The Scarlets need to support the RFC properly so we have the small core of Men in the pack each week and so we can win our games and reflect well on the town but it won’t happen. We should be top three each season not bottom three and still be a big development club. It’s not fair on the paying fans or players or coaches - just my opinion of course. 

i get what your saying but look at the scarlets squad. who can scarlets farm out each week.

Loosehead: Wyn Jones, Rob Evs, Price - these will be with the region each week. Price may be farmed out similar to Mathias being farmed out for fitness. OConnor was on the bench.

Hooker: Ken, Elias, Marc Jones possibly not linked to anyone but Marc Jones may get the odd run out. But hooker Morgan Macrae started for Llanelli. Not sure if Dom Booth is injured.

Tightead: I cant see any of our tightheads having a run out with semi pros if im being honest.

Lock - Sam Lousi, Tom Price probably wont have a run out for anyone, Morgan Jones and Jac Price already allocated sides it seems...looks like Rawlins may play a part with Llanelli - guess work but common sense id have thought. Helps as well maybe though having played more or less all his rugby at Quins, just like Jac Price, i can see him staying at Quins.

So i am not sure who else is available. Scarlets are only just covered for their fixtures!

I do get what you are saying, but one would say that Llanelli RFC are one of few who are utilizing the side for what it was/is intended for. To me the issue is more with the WRU weakness of stopping sides pretty much buying success in what was designed as a development league. Ponty, Ebbw, Merthyr etc all spent on players and for what - thats what shouldnt have happened and shouldnt IMO. The reason many dont follow the RFC varies. For me its when they stopped having a glut of prospects playing. this season, just by the line up of Saturday, that has already changed.  There should be a better system in place like an u23 league, but thats for WRU et al to decide. And theyre too busy choosing curtains for their hotel at the moment than concentrating on rugby issues, so we are stuck with what we have. 

Also, to me, and to thousands of other Scarlets fans, Scarlets are the same Llanelli RFC we have supported for decades. Llanelli RFC as it is today is the next generation of Scarlets players and Saturday had a lot more academy lads than i can even remember - potentially back to when Macleod/Steve Shingler/Steff Evs were playing for them. Going back a fair few seasons.
Since then there hasn't been much. But I personally am encouraged that we will see a difference this year with how Dwayne will want to utilize it.

Who's coaching the RFC now? cant find that info anywhere. What I would like to see happening is developing coaches - or at least those who have an interest - Shingler, Halfpenny etc.

Paul Fisher. Good man but on tight budgets.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 1:57pm

I was at the game Saturday, it was great to see 9 of the matchday squad 20 or under, and another 6, 23 or under. The scrum was demolished, despite Dylan Evans and 33 year old Ryan Thomas  at tight head. The latter was ruined by Llanelli boy, Rowan Jenkins. Our line out was a mess, with far to much ball lost. 

The Scarlets have treated Llanelli RFC as an unwanted child . for many seasons now. The RFC had four players who had started there career as a prop on bench. Jac Price started for the Quins despite them having at least another 4 locks available. It's all good and well sending all the talented Scarlets Academy products to Llanelli, seems like a token gesture. They must either recruit quality tight forwards, we had the two hugely talented 18 year olds, scrum halves  in squad, yet no ball to show there talent.

Special mention though for some of the youngsters Morgan Macrae, Ellis Thomas and his back row colleagues. Archie Hughes oozes class, as so much time on ball. Youngsters Joe Roberts and  other 19 year old back Josh Phillips did well. In fairness the young team, never threw in the towel.
   It's a pity that it is not treated  a development league by  everyone. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

I was at the game Saturday, it was great to see 9 of the matchday squad 20 or under, and another 6, 23 or under. The scrum was demolished, despite Dylan Evans and 33 year old Ryan Thomas  at tight head. The latter was ruined by Llanelli boy, Rowan Jenkins. Our line out was a mess, with far to much ball lost. 

The Scarlets have treated Llanelli RFC as an unwanted child . for many seasons now. The RFC had four players who had started there career as a prop on bench. Jac Price started for the Quins despite them having at least another 4 locks available. It's all good and well sending all the talented Scarlets Academy products to Llanelli, seems like a token gesture. They must either recruit quality tight forwards, we had the two hugely talented 18 year olds, scrum halves  in squad, yet no ball to show there talent.

Special mention though for some of the youngsters Morgan Macrae, Ellis Thomas and his back row colleagues. Archie Hughes oozes class, as so much time on ball. Youngsters Joe Roberts and  other 19 year old back Josh Phillips did well. In fairness the young team, never threw in the towel.
Well put 👍 the Region goes out of its way to offer players to the two feeder clubs at the expense of the actual club it owns and when they have more big lumps available than the Rfc has! We don’t want backs - we need experienced forwards . Fans will grow as will gate income if we start winning games not getting mullered after 50 minutes when we get knackered 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 4:07pm
Players like alex jefrries could be a big help at the rfc right now,  sadly with no junior teams to bolster them they are always going to struggle unless the region helps out.  
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 4:19pm

Paul Fisher. Good man but on tight budgets.

only Fisher ?
so it seems he is coaching academy and RFC with one or two others ?
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 7:36pm
Premiership should be 23 and under every team in that league plays certain amount of academy players-on match days  let these players learn their trade on the field instead of sitting in the stand WRU should say no regional players in any team 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Premiership should be 23 and under every team in that league plays certain amount of academy players-on match days  let these players learn their trade on the field instead of sitting in the stand WRU should say no regional players in any team 
only 92 regional players can play every week the rest should be playing, improving the league , generating more crowds and improving players who play with and against them. You can’t have a full divison of under 23s that wpuld be  basically an academy leauge split between 12 sides

Edited by RR1972 - 20 September 2021 at 8:14pm
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 8:31pm
Well if you want regional players when not picked by regions have them playing midweek matches against English Premiership teams plenty of their players not playing for their teams on weekend

Cause if you shove regional players in the  welsh Premiership how are academy players going to learn their trade sitting in the stand 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 8:33pm
2 or 3 regional players still leaves loads of spaces for young lads. Under 23 playing just under 23s won’t help then develop. A good mix is better
Boisbach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boisbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 8:35pm
Interesting posts on here on good debate.
What I do know is that the 3 feeder clubs were called to a meeting with the Scarlets rugby hierarchy approx a month ago and were informed of what academy/scarlets senior players each was having for this season.

I believe the Quins have been allocated most of the players who have come from the Quins feeder clubs from local clubs down west eg Pembsb and Carmarthen. Some of whom have been with the Quins for last 2 to 3 years.

I believe the Quins have been allocated Steff Thomas, Kems Mathias, Jac Price, Caleb Salmon, Dinky and young Eddie James. Possibly Dom Booth as well but I’m not sure.  3 of the above played last Sat for the Quins.

Maybe somebody from the RFC can confirm what players are allocated to Llanelli RFC ? It’s not a secret as all 3 feeder clubs have been informed of their allocation, hopefully somebody can enlighten us.

If not maybe this could be a question for the next Crys meeting with the coaches ?

I know Dwayne Peel was very very keen for players not in the Scarlets match day squad, to play most weeks in the Welsh Premier and not sit in the stands twiddling their thumbs, which makes full sense to me.

Obviously with injuries to The Scarlets senior players and academy players throughout the season, my guess is most Sat the feeder clubs will only see 3 of their player allocations, especially when you factor in age grade and full international matches.

hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 9:24pm

Scarlets appoint Phil John as Academy coach

Former prop Phil John is back at the Scarlets having been appointed to the role of Academy skills coach.

John made 330 Scarlets appearances over 17 seasons and holds the record for the most Scarlets matches played in the regional era.

Since hanging up his playing boots following his final game against Glasgow in 2016, he has worked with the RGC 1404 Academy and alongside another ex-Scarlet Mark Jones with the Premiership team in North Wales.

He also has experience coaching with the Llanelli RFC Premiership side and as an assistant to Danny Wilson for the Scarlets.

John, who started out on a rugby apprenticeship scheme at Stradey Park, replaces Emyr Phillips who becomes the Scarlets transition coach overseeing the academy players who are training with the senior side.

“It’s good to be back at Parc y Scarlets and I’m looking forward to working with a talented group of young players who have bright futures in the game,” said John.

“When you look at the players who were in the Academy five years ago when I was here, they are now starting week in week out for the Scarlets, it is great to see the journeys they have been on.

“The Scarlets Academy has a proud tradition of being a production line for the senior side and I’m excited by this opportunity to help make sure that continues.”

Scarlets Development Pathway Manager Kevin George added: “For us, this appointment was about getting the balance right in the coaching group with Emyr having been promoted to oversee the transition players.

“We had a lot of interest in the post and Phil, with his experience working with academies and the commitment he gave to North Wales, came out very strongly. We are delighted to have him on board to help nurture the next generation of Scarlets.”

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 9:09am

This is the problem. Llanelli treat it as it should be a; a development league. Whereas other clubs like Pontypridd and Merthyr have different views. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 9:13am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

This is the problem. Llanelli treat it as it should be a; a development league. Whereas other clubs like Pontypridd and Merthyr have different views. 

Surely the problem lies with Llanelli?No other club treats the Premiership solely as a development league......and why should they?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Surely the problem lies with Llanelli?No other club treats the Premiership solely as a development league......and why should they?
Because that's what the league is supposed to be for. If they carry on in this manner the Premiership will likely get demoted down a level and we'll get full time regional A sides. The Premiership clubs wouldn't like it if they stopped getting free players from the pro sides. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic