Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Ideal TMO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ideal TMO
    Posted: 29 September 2021 at 7:53pm
Watching Iolo Williams on the 4 part series of The Last Wilderness of Wales and I think he’d be the ideal TMO for our games.

He’s found a Goshawk feather and knows how old it is. Obviously, he could do the same with other species so in the case of an inconclusive grounding he’d be able to search for Osprey feathers and if none found, clearly, it’d be no try.

Think of it as an evolution of the Marshall Kilgore, who was prevalent in Greek (Homer) decisions in Ireland.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2021 at 8:38pm
So as long as its not the same one as last weekend. I’ve watched that Graham try and there are three offside players when they steal the ball from the side of the ruck. Its horrible officiating. 
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2021 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

So as long as its not the same one as last weekend. I’ve watched that Graham try and there are three offside players when they steal the ball from the side of the ruck. Its horrible officiating. 

The thing is I think that if the ball is deemed out then none of those are offside as it is essentially open play.

Still not convinced it was out mind but there we are.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2021 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Watching Iolo Williams on the 4 part series of The Last Wilderness of Wales and I think he’d be the ideal TMO for our games.

He’s found a Goshawk feather and knows how old it is. Obviously, he could do the same with other species so in the case of an inconclusive grounding he’d be able to search for Osprey feathers and if none found, clearly, it’d be no try.

Think of it as an evolution of the Marshall Kilgore, who was prevalent in Greek (Homer) decisions in Ireland.

This is my favourite Scarlet Fever comment so far
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2021 at 1:38am
Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

The thing is I think that if the ball is deemed out then none of those are offside as it is essentially open play.

The SH was retreating from an offside position. In order to play the ball, the player must get back onside, then come forward to play the ball. Their SH never got back onside, therefore played the ball from an offside position. 

Penalty to Scarlets. 
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2021 at 3:24am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

I stood yer on tanner bank
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2021 at 3:28am
Brilliant, inventive post from EASTERN OUTPOST.....which makes reading and responding on the forum a joy sometimes! 
Thanks!
I stood yer on tanner bank
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2021 at 6:29am
Clearly a directive to be less dedoendent on the TMO this season. In essence a very good move.

It's about finding a balance though

The ref in the Zebre v Lions game only used the TMO once, quite refreshing. Brace may have been a little confused by the directive I suspect...and thought being assertive and incorrect was a desirable outcome.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2021 at 9:41am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

The SH was retreating from an offside position. In order to play the ball, the player must get back onside, then come forward to play the ball. Their SH never got back onside, therefore played the ball from an offside position. 

Penalty to Scarlets. 

The way I see it,. If the ball was still in the ruck,and I think it was,. Hardy was using his hands to move the ball to the back of the ruck in order to pick it up from a protected position.  However, by using his hands in the ruck, he was infringing the rule of not playing the ball with your hands in a ruck, penalty to Edinburgh. 
Keep the faith
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2021 at 9:44am

Penalty to Scarlets. 

If the ball was still in the ruck and Hardy was controlling it with his hands, so penalty to Edinburgh for handling in a ruck.  Simple really.
Keep the faith
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2021 at 10:05am
The ref was shouting play the ball then  kieran didn’t then he shouted ball out and he still didn’t not sure if ref was right or wrong but kieran should have played the ball then clarified it with the ref. As the old saying goes play the ref not the laws

Edited by RR1972 - 30 September 2021 at 10:26am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2021 at 10:18am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The ref was shouting play the ball then  kieran didn’t then he shouted ball out and he still didn’t not sure if ref was right or wrong but kieran should have played the ball then clarified it with the ref. 

Wil made a very valid point - why waste time remonstrating with the ref, throwing your hands in the air- deal with the problem then argue. Hardy could have tackled the 9 which would either have given them some ruck ball or an attacking scrum. As it was he gave the 9 his chance and the rest is history. 
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2021 at 10:53am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The ref was shouting play the ball then  kieran didn’t then he shouted ball out and he still didn’t not sure if ref was right or wrong but kieran should have played the ball then clarified it with the ref. 

Wil made a very valid point - why waste time remonstrating with the ref, throwing your hands in the air- deal with the problem then argue. Hardy could have tackled the 9 which would either have given them some ruck ball or an attacking scrum. As it was he gave the 9 his chance and the rest is history. 

Scrum halves putting more effort into flapping their ams than concentrating on their own game is a regular occurrence 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2021 at 11:30am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Penalty to Scarlets. 

If the ball was still in the ruck and Hardy was controlling it with his hands, so penalty to Edinburgh for handling in a ruck.  Simple really.

It’s available only when the ball leaves the ground i.e. when he picks it up,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic