Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets v Emirates Lions Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2021 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Just reflecting on Dan Davies for a moment.

He has the sort of physique and style that says ‘6’ to me. Big impact in defence, can carry, mobile.

Watching how he’s developing suggests that he isn’t an instinctive 7.

Just a thought.

I have followed Dan since his early age grade days. He is a very athletic lad who is quick. Used to play in the centre and if you remember him standing up Rob Kearney a few seasons ago out in Dublin can go past people with ease. He has certainly bulked up this summer so I think will benefit from a run of games which he is going to get now that Tomas has picked up an injury. 

As for playing at 6 I am more in favour of an Aaron/Blade style 6 with lineout ability but I certainly see what you are saying. I think if you asked Dan he would consider himself as an out and out 7. 

Very good points.
Sponsored Links

Superscarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2021 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

Yes
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Neck rolls seem to be legal this season. The Lions have done several and none have been penalised. You’d expect the TMO to be on the case there.
Watching the game from a different angle this season - West as opposed to South, it was quite noticeable last night - from my position at least, how many high shots, no arms, neck rolls, etc. were going unpunished last night. I’ve mentioned before, this isn’t just a referee issue, TMO and ARs need to come in if they spot any foul play.
Entry into the breakdown is another thing you can spot quite well from behind the posts… Shocked
Superscarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2021 at 11:43pm
Much preferred Blacker when he came on. Hardy has struggled in both games.  Didn't catch one high ball. Be interesting to see if he starts the next game. On form he shouldn't. Really impressed with Scott, he not only had a great game but was like another captain on the pitch communicating all through the game 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2021 at 2:32pm
Looked back at the game this morning.

In fairness the Lions were better than I gave them credit for in attack. They had some big guys coming on good angles.
I guess that’s why Peel commented on the defence as being the thing that pleased him most. Their 10 (Hendrikse) looks a prospect, hell of a hoof on him too. The chase was pretty ordinary it must be said though.

They brought on a couple of pwm pwm props as well. One of 140kg.
Although Jac Price got rolled a couple of times he was an ever present in the first line of defence, augers well.

Hardy is some way below his best so far for some reason. He’s a much better player than the guy we’ve seen over the last 2 games. There’s flashes of excellence, but it’s mixed in with a number of errors.

There are two things I can see in the backs that differs from last season.
The 10’s last option is to kick.
The depth they are keeping.

The latter is really helpful to the outside backs, who are getting more space to run in to.

Edited by Wil Chips - 03 October 2021 at 2:34pm
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2021 at 3:48pm
I think the accuracy and execution is improved too.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2021 at 4:42pm
Yes good point.

We also tried the 50/22 early in the game quite a bit. Clear tactic. Although we didn’t get one it ensured their wingers stayed in the backfield, which again helps our outside backs a bit.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2021 at 5:36pm

I thought our scrum was on skates tbh. Your right though, that Sione bailed us out time and again.

The Lions scrum will cause everyone an issue. They were very good,

If having a scrum on skates means quick ball because you have to, I'll take that all the time. We'll score far more points with quick ball than having the ball stuck in the second row.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2021 at 5:39pm
Scott passing has given our midield a new dimension 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2021 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

I thought our scrum was on skates tbh. Your right though, that Sione bailed us out time and again.

The Lions scrum will cause everyone an issue. They were very good,

If having a scrum on skates means quick ball because you have to, I'll take that all the time. We'll score far more points with quick ball than having the ball stuck in the second row.

I think Elias has to be given as much credit as anyone for that.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2021 at 7:55am
The whole alignment & intent of our backline is something we were calling for all last season to no avail. That was an instant fix once Dwayne took over. For sure Scott's class & leadership will give our 10's confidence. Sorting out our defence is a longer term fix but Hogan has started. He won't be happy with the missed tackle count in both our first games. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic